Official LUMIA 928 GDR2/Amber Update Thread

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bluetooth 4.0 after amber update?

So it had been reported that the Amber update would make the 928 Bluetooth 4.0 compatible. I have not been able to verify that this is now the case on my 928 after the Amber update. Has anyone?

I also am curious about this. I'm frustrated that many sites hyped the news of a potential update to bluetooth, and then when the Amber update is released there hasn't been a single word said about it. Also frustrated by a lack of explanation of why FM Radio was dropped from the update for Verizon.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
My 928 updated a few days ago without any real issues that I could see. However, I will say that the glance feature doesn't work well in that the clock stays on nearly all the time despite my settings. Also just today I encountered something weird in that when I hit the power button to wake the screen the phone prompted me to enter a new password stating security settings on my phone recently changed. However, I did not change any security settings at all. I never have the password lock enabled on my phone (I know I probably should). I couldn't do anything until I entered a pin number so I did. Then I went to the lock screen settings and discovered the password option has been enabled and is grayed out preventing me from turning it off. WTF?

Anybody else experience this? Any ideas how to turn off the password protection mode?

egret85

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue. I'm on the 928 and amber is great! However since updating my phone seems to "drop" wifi. It says that I am connected, but for some reason after 20 min none of my apps are able to access the internet, even though it says I'm connected. I have to go and turn my phones wifi on and off every 20 min and its getting very very annoying.

I have created a pose on the MS Answers site for this. GDR2 WIFI Issue - Microsoft Community

aamir0

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's one that I've been having with my Lumia 822

Updated and got the cogs. When I go to my screen, it looks like this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/6329/5lzw.jpg

I restarted and got the Verizon splash screen and the Nokia splash screen, but then it goes to this colored screen.

I can still turn it off by holding the power key and pulling down from the top half of the screen. There's no video confirmation of this, but when i press the power key again after this, I get the startup screens. I also still get haptic feedback from the buttons at the bottom of the screen

Calls come through in that the screen lights up, but I can't do anything from there, even if i press the screen where the Accept button should be. I don't even get a warning tone when I end up missing the call.

I did a hard factory reset (volume down key) but, afterwards, it was stuck on the Nokia screen for hours, and when I pressed the power key, the screen turned off. When I pressed it again, I'm back to the colored screen (and now without all the messages that I missed).

I can't do anything when I connect it to my computer because, although my computer acknowledges that the phone is connected, it can't get past the passcode lock, even if I try unlocking it by guessing where the proper keys are.

Please help.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's one that I've been having with my Lumia 822

Updated and got the cogs. When I go to my screen, it looks like this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/6329/5lzw.jpg

I restarted and got the Verizon splash screen and the Nokia splash screen, but then it goes to this colored screen.

I can still turn it off by holding the power key and pulling down from the top half of the screen. There's no video confirmation of this, but when i press the power key again after this, I get the startup screens. I also still get haptic feedback from the buttons at the bottom of the screen

Calls come through in that the screen lights up, but I can't do anything from there, even if i press the screen where the Accept button should be. I don't even get a warning tone when I end up missing the call.

I did a hard factory reset (volume down key) but, afterwards, it was stuck on the Nokia screen for hours, and when I pressed the power key, the screen turned off. When I pressed it again, I'm back to the colored screen (and now without all the messages that I missed).

I can't do anything when I connect it to my computer because, although my computer acknowledges that the phone is connected, it can't get past the passcode lock, even if I try unlocking it by guessing where the proper keys are.

Please help.
you need to "refurbish" your phone with Nokia Care Suite as something went wrong when you updated. Do a forum search, I know there was a long thread describing how to do it with the 920, and it is the same process but with a different product code.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: 2 "other" Storage sizes reported in seperate locations in phone?

With all the chatter about the "other" issue, I checked my phone. Lumia 928, with GDR2/Amber updated.

Under Settings\Phone Storage\then tapping phone, it is reported as 4.70 GB.
Under Settings\Storage Check\slide right to details, then at the bottom "other" is listed at 2.6 GB.

Is this causing confusion? Where is everyone getting "other" size details from? Why the difference?
:confused:

Why did this get moved in here? I thought it was a very specific question about two "other" locations reporting two different sizes. May have gotten an answer if it remained its own thread...

RoninHard

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

... Also frustrated by a lack of explanation of why FM Radio was dropped from the update for Verizon.

I too am frustrated over the lack of information coming out of Verizon/Nokia/Microsoft concerning this. Would be great if one of them would step up and state the reason. If the phone does not have the needed hardware, then just state it. If it was removed by Verizon for some reason, state it. I might be unhappy with the answer, but at least I would know who to vent the anger at.:devil:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: 2 "other" Storage sizes reported in seperate locations in phone?

Why did this get moved in here? I thought it was a very specific question about two "other" locations reporting two different sizes. May have gotten an answer if it remained its own thread...

Probably because it is GDR2 related and whether or not it is a bug. It is simpler to keep all the questions in one thread. Actually makes it easier to manage.

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Weather and battery live tiles not updating after amber

I did the amber update and now it seems the battery tiles (any battery app) and weather tiles (any weather app) are not updating.
I tried removing and repining them as well as a soft reset. The problem persists.
Anyone else seeing this problem?

Jboy42

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes. But my problem did not manifest immediately. But now my weather, wpcenttal, and Bing news/sports tiles won't automatically update. :-S

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Make sure the tile update feature is turned on in the app.
I had the CNN app set to update the tile, but swear it got turned off during the GDR2/Amber update.
I had to turn it back on and it appears to be working fine now.

Jessy Balsley

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: After Amber Update, screen discoloration then total black

I've noticed since after the update, my theme looks dull. I've always used the teal theme with a dark background. Since the update, the teal looks really blue. Anyone else have this issue? I've played around with all the different themes and done plenty of resets...still, nothing has changed. Help? :(

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: After Amber Update, screen discoloration then total black

I've noticed since after the update, my theme looks dull. I've always used the teal theme with a dark background. Since the update, the teal looks really blue. Anyone else have this issue? I've played around with all the different themes and done plenty of resets...still, nothing has changed. Help? :(
Look at display+touch.
There should be settings for the Lumia color profile there.

If you want to see your former screen quality, just play around with he settings in there.

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Make sure the tile update feature is turned on in the app.
I had the CNN app set to update the tile, but swear it got turned off during the GDR2/Amber update.
I had to turn it back on and it appears to be working fine now.

I did, do that, and I think mine were initially updating and then stopped also.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed a problem since updating with wireless charging:

I put my 928 on my DT-900 when I go to bed each night with the ringer on pretty loud (I have to be available for work calls at night :crying:). Since the update, I have been getting the "now charging" audio alert at seemingly random intervals during the night. I have looked around in the settings, but it seems you can't disable the charging alert. This never happened before the update.

What I think is happening: I may be off here, but I think the phone disconnects from the DT-900 (or tells it to turn off charging) when it hits full charge, then idles under its own power, then reconnects when it needs to top off. Maybe when it goes to top off, it is now treating it as a new power source and playing the alert.

Anybody else seen this (or know how to turn off the charging alert)? I haven't tried going back to wired power, but I will tonight.

My phone has been doing this too. I randomly hear the charging alert as I'm getting ready in the morning after it has been on the charging plate all night and is still on the charging plate. The phone does not do that when I have it plugged in to keep charged when I'm at work during the day. The phone has an Incipio feather case, but that shouldn't cause this right? I'll try w/out the case and see if it makes a difference.

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It really seems to be a problem with any battery APP or Weather APP. All other apps seem to be properly updating their live tiles. So that makes me think that something changed in the way live tile updates are handled in GDR2 and these apps are being affected by it. I may do a hard reset next week to see if that fixes the problem.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It really seems to be a problem with any battery APP or Weather APP. All other apps seem to be properly updating their live tiles. So that makes me think that something changed in the way live tile updates are handled in GDR2 and these apps are being affected by it. I may do a hard reset next week to see if that fixes the problem.

If you suspect an app (or two), before you hard reset, uninstall/reinstall the apps to see if that fixes it. :wink:

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

I received an e-mail from Nokia that confirmed that the Amber update did not provide BT 4.0. It is something that they are working on and that we will eventually get. Just not sure when.

I also am curious about this. I'm frustrated that many sites hyped the news of a potential update to bluetooth, and then when the Amber update is released there hasn't been a single word said about it. Also frustrated by a lack of explanation of why FM Radio was dropped from the update for Verizon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss