Where do we go from gmail?

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I believe I read recently that by the end of the year we won't have gmail anymore. I've had it for years and have no idea what to switch to and had Android before converting to WP8, 928.
I don't have outlook on my desktop as I use Open Office and gmail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Win7 on desktop, not too sure about getting 8. In anycase, I have a website and my mail is forwarded to gmail and I want to start transfering over to something else before it's gone.
Thank you in advance!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe I read recently that by the end of the year we won't have gmail anymore. I've had it for years and have no idea what to switch to and had Android before converting to WP8, 928.
I don't have outlook on my desktop as I use Open Office and gmail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Win7 on desktop, not too sure about getting 8. In anycase, I have a website and my mail is forwarded to gmail and I want to start transfering over to something else before it's gone.
Thank you in advance!

Gmail's support for ActiveSync is being dropped then. WP8 has picked up CalDAV and CardDAV to supplement the features lost. Basically, things will be fine if you want to continue with Gmail. If you want to switch anyways, I would get an Outlook.com email address. For me, it is a lot cleaner and easier to use than gmail.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I vote for Outlook.com, you don't need a desktop app for that, it's a web based email just like GMail. Also if you're planning to sport Windows 8 ever, it also works nicely with that (well, so does many others if you bother setting them up properly).

I switched to Outlook.com little over a year ago from Gmail, havn't been disappointed.

But what do you mean, what's happening to Gmail?

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
From Mase right below my post, "Gmail's support for ActiveSync is being dropped then. WP8 has picked up CalDAV and CardDAV to supplement the features lost. Basically, things will be fine if you want to continue with Gmail. If you want to switch anyways, I would get an Outlook.com email address. For me, it is a lot cleaner and easier to use than gmail."
Since I don't really know what ActiveSync is, I'll research it to understand. I don't want to switch if I don't have to. So you're saying that I can have gmail on my desktop and outlook on my phone? Not sure how that would work.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
From Mase right below my post, "Gmail's support for ActiveSync is being dropped then. WP8 has picked up CalDAV and CardDAV to supplement the features lost. Basically, things will be fine if you want to continue with Gmail. If you want to switch anyways, I would get an Outlook.com email address. For me, it is a lot cleaner and easier to use than gmail."
Since I don't really know what ActiveSync is, I'll research it to understand. I don't want to switch if I don't have to. So you're saying that I can have gmail on my desktop and outlook on my phone? Not sure how that would work.

Gmail and Outlook are both internet-based email. Both can be used from any browser, any desktop email client, any tablet and any phone.

Activesync is basically a technology that Micrsoft created for syncing data between mobile devices and servers. Google is taking this method out of Gmail and forcing Microsoft to add CalDAV and CardDAV support to Outlook.com. Without going into details, you should be able to use gmail just fine on your WP8 phone. If you are happy, don't switch.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well you have no need to change if that's what this is about. Just the method of bringing Gmail to your phone will change, but it will come in the future too :p

ActiveSyncs and CalDAV/CardDAV are just different kind of means that the phone pulls your mail and other stuff it syncs to it. Google has decided to stop supporting the ActiveSync, which is why Microsoft is updating WP so that it can support the other means of bringing gmail to WP in the future too.

If you want to switch to Outlook.com, you can just keep using it on your PC and phone, but that will require some work to "port over" the stuff you might want it to port, and i dont know if this amount of effort is worth it to you seeing that you can keep having Gmail in your phone anyways.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
even though ActiveSupport is being dropped by Google, they claim "the service will continue to work for existing Google Sync devices. Google Sync will continue to work, be supported"

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Gmail and Outlook are both internet-based email. Both can be used from any browser, any desktop email client, any tablet and any phone.

Activesync is basically a technology that Micrsoft created for syncing data between mobile devices and servers. Google is taking this method out of Gmail and forcing Microsoft to add CalDAV and CardDAV support to Outlook.com. Without going into details, you should be able to use gmail just fine on your WP8 phone. If you are happy, don't switch.

Just to phrase that more fairly, ActiveSync is a proprietary mechanism developed by MS and widely used to sync email and other data. This is something Google had to pay MS for. At some point, Google decided that it was not profitable to continue supporting ActiveSync with free Gmail accounts and decided to stop supporting it. CalDAV and CardDAV are free and open protocols, supported extensively. In fact, WP8 was the last mobile OS to get DAV support, even Apple iOS had it a few years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa