11-11-2013 12:48 PM
70 123
tools
    yes definitely, I tried it on my mates and girlfriends number , 100% working in Ireland
    That would seem to indicate it works on a GSM network but not CDMA. Thanks for the reply!
    08-22-2013 10:54 AM
    That would seem to indicate it works on a GSM network but not CDMA. Thanks for the reply!
    Honestly, the type of network should make no difference.
    Keep in mind that parts of the updates can me dependent on the carrier implementing them or not, it's not just based on hardware capability alone. In other words, the carrier can decide if they want certain new functions of an update to work or not.
    Carriers are in the business to make money, and the more they can 'sway' you in to using more data, the more money they potentially can make ;)
    08-22-2013 11:40 AM
    Part of my annoyance with this is that if they didnt want to support it then i shouldnt even see the screen on the device, and if there are actually supporting it and it is just broken, they should just come out and say so, since they took the time to update their Support pdf
    08-22-2013 03:18 PM
    Interestingly, I just tried blocking numbers with my T-Mobile SIM instead of my Verizon SIM and it works fine. Definitely a Verizon thing, which is weird because blocking text messages does work on Verizon...
    08-22-2013 03:49 PM
    Interestingly, I just tried blocking numbers with my T-Mobile SIM instead of my Verizon SIM and it works fine. Definitely a Verizon thing, which is weird because blocking text messages does work on Verizon...
    Nice. Definitely shows that Verizon had the filter rendered useless, so you'd have to use there system to block numbers. Which in turn, will generate more cash flow for them.
    It wouldn't surprise me that they're behind the FM Radio fiasco too. Without it functioning, it forces users to use more data.
    08-22-2013 04:45 PM
    Progress! So the question is, with your T-Mob SIM, is the phone still using CDMA or is it using GSM? I'm guessing the latter, which if true, makes it more likely that it's a limitation of CDMA. The next logical test would be to test with a SIM from Sprint which is also a CDMA network.

It's just unfortunate that Verizon, Microsoft, or Nokia haven't stepped up to give an explanation.
    Last edited by ddartman7; 08-22-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    08-22-2013 05:25 PM
    Progress! So the question is, with your T-Mob SIM, is the phone still using CDMA or is it using GSM? I'm guessing the latter, which if true, makes it more likely that it's a limitation of CDMA. The next logical test would be to test with a SIM from Sprint which is also a CDMA network.

It's just unfortunate that Verizon, Microsoft, or Nokia haven't stepped up to give an explanation.
    GSM,their cdma network is MetroPCS
    08-22-2013 06:28 PM
    Whelp, for what it is worth, i tweeted @NokiaCareUS asking if they new knew anything about it on the 928, and the response i got..."Have you tried reaching out to Verizon if this feature is allowed w/ their services? ^RT"....does take much of leap to read that as "if it aint working, its because Verizon killed it"
    08-26-2013 12:09 PM
    In the past Verizon was notorious for crippling there devices so the users would have to get other 'features', at a price of course.
    Looks like they're going back to there old ways again. smh
    Last edited by mrZoSo; 08-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    08-26-2013 03:31 PM
    Whelp, for what it is worth, i tweeted @NokiaCareUS asking if they new knew anything about it on the 928, and the response i got..."Have you tried reaching out to Verizon if this feature is allowed w/ their services? ^RT"....does take much of leap to read that as "if it aint working, its because Verizon killed it"
    I did the same on Friday and they eventually came back and said they would look into it and get back to me. Obviously haven't heard back since
    ether813 likes this.
    08-26-2013 05:25 PM
    The response i got from the VZW Support twitter after asking if the call+sms filter is working on the Lumia 928:

VZW Support ‏@VZWSupport 3h @Ether813_IX Let's make your Nokia spill proof! You can block calls & txt msgs online at My Verizon, http://vz.to/MqEgqB ^LH

I replied that Nokia's feature is free and allows up to a thousand numbers to be blocked...for free....

I have no doubt that this isnt going anywhere at this point...i mistakenly thought we were beyond crippling features that are clearly on the phone....
    Last edited by ether813; 08-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    08-27-2013 10:30 AM
    Still unsure if Verizon actually borked the feature or there is just something screwy with the way its reporting the inbound number. The reason I say this is: (1) Blocking text messages does indeed work. (2) If they really wanted to block the feature, wouldn't they have hid the menu item, like with group texting? With the menu item hidden, only us power user geeks (very small number) would know that it was even a possible feature. By exposing the setting and making it not work, they risk every Tom, **** and Harry stumbling across the feature and calling in to support when they discover it doesn't work.
    ether813 likes this.
    08-27-2013 11:12 AM
    I really hope that that is the case....i could live with poor QA and getting a fix in a decent amount of time. I think earlier in this thread that was one the thing this is ******* me off about it. I actually wouldnt have a complaint if there were saying they arent supporting the feature. If that is the case then it shouldnt even be seen in the settings. I actually have one call that says it was blocked on my list "The call came in when i was already on the phone talking to someone. I am going to stop assuming and just see where this goes. Hopefully it is just a misunderstanding or bad code.
    08-27-2013 11:19 AM
    Indeed SMS filtering DOES work on Verizon... it's the Call filtering that does not. Look out big red, I'm about to go Miley Cyrus obscene on you.
    08-27-2013 01:00 PM
    Indeed SMS filtering DOES work on Verizon... it's the Call filtering that does not. Look out big red, I'm about to go Miley Cyrus obscene on you.
    Twerking is for iOS users. Don't even think about doing it....
    ddartman7 and ether813 like this.
    08-27-2013 01:31 PM
    I just had an interesting conversation with "Eric" in Verizon Technical support. The 928 is his work issued phone and he knew nothing of this feature. As I stepped him through it and he tested the feature using his work phone he was surprised to learn of the problem. His first response was that it must be a software issue. When pressed with "then why would it work when a T-Mob SIM is placed in the phone, he had to concede a software issue seemed less likely. He says there are no escalated trouble tickets and no information in their system about the problem. He tells me he is creating a ticket and will see that it is escalated, but once again this is a case of 928 and 822 users need to speak up with VZW and be heard.
    08-27-2013 04:13 PM
    I just talked to a rep on Twitter and got this response:
    I'm here with my tool belt on. Sorry, some calls can get through by spoofing with 3rd party apps: Company Name ID FAQs | Verizon Wireless
    Told the rep they're not getting spoofed, they're numbers I can test.

Now waiting on response.
    ddartman7 likes this.
    08-27-2013 05:38 PM
    I just talked to a rep on Twitter and got this response:

Told the rep they're not getting spoofed, they're numbers I can test.

Now waiting on response.
    Sad reality is that most anyone posting on the WPCentral Forums knows more about the phones than even Tier 2 support at VZW, and possibly other carriers as well.
    08-27-2013 05:46 PM
    I hardly think contacting VZW reps through twitter would help anyone with anything,,, LMFAO

VZW Support ‏@suZoSo I'm here with my tool belt on. Sorry, some calls can get through by spoofing with 3rd party apps: Company Name ID FAQs | Verizon Wireless ^LH

suZoSo @VZWSupport The app came with GDR2. The numbers are not being spoofed, they're numbers I can test with.
    suZoSo @VZWSupport Also the 928 was tested with other carrier SIMs and the filter works just fine. Looks to be a VZW issue.

VZW Support @suZoSo I'm sorry if the harassing texts continue. I would recommend a number change here: Change Mobile Number | Verizon Wireless ^JL
    ddartman7 likes this.
    08-28-2013 11:42 AM
    So, I just called VZW to see if there has been any updates/changes on this issue.
    The rep I first spoke to had no clue what I was talking about and didn't even know this filter existed!,,, no surprise there! LOL. She gladly transferred me to a technician.

I explained the issue to him and also mentioned that if a SIM from another carrier is used it works as its suppose to, etc., etc. So he went to research it and got back to me real quick, within 15-20 seconds!
    According to the tech, apparently this is a software issue, and is a known issue that is high up on the 'get it fixed' list. VZW contacted Nokia and they where able to replicate the issue also, and are currently looking in to it as well.
    The tech also mentioned that he keeps in touch regularly with there developers who work on the issues, and will contact me as soon as he hears anything.

So, that's all I have at this point.
    If your wanting this feature as well, keep calling VZW, and/or post about it on there forums to get it resolved.
    ddartman7 likes this.
    08-31-2013 12:29 PM
    Quick Update here.
    I just received a notice from VZW that my account has changed. I checked it out and they have added Call & Message Blocking at no charge.
    Filter on phone still doesn't block calls though :/
    Hmm, I hope they aren't going to try and force us to use there services!
    09-02-2013 02:55 PM
    There is a call+SMS filter that shows from the sysapp pusher. Its version 1.5.4.2 and was last updated 8/8/2013. But it won't let it install, says its for another device. Even tried installing it from the cloud but get the ole 'cannot install company app' message. Funny thing is, its a Nokia app!

Sent from my RM-860 using Tapatalk
    09-02-2013 07:39 PM
    I am not really sure what has changed, but yesterday evening I received a toast notification that one of the numbers I had added to the call+SMS filter had indeed been blocked. This number had previously been coming through regardless of my settings. I wonder if the change that had to be made was something simply on the Verizon side of the equation.

blocked_calls_list.pngsettings_about.png

UPDATE: Did an additional test this morning with a co-worker and found that the blocking is not fixed. According to the timestamp on the blocked call list, I was on a call with my wife, so maybe that somehow figured into it being blocked. Oh well.
    Last edited by Andy Fore; 09-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    09-04-2013 09:49 AM
    UPDATE: Did an additional test this morning with a co-worker and found that the blocking is not fixed. According to the timestamp on the blocked call list, I was on a call with my wife, so maybe that somehow figured into it being blocked. Oh well.

Just did some testing. If I am on a call, it will indeed block incoming calls like designed. We may be in bug territory for sure.
    09-04-2013 11:41 AM
    Since Info & Extras has been updated today, and the call+SMS filter is part of it. Someone might want to test this.,,, while I get the Amber update back on my phone,,, lol
    09-05-2013 12:00 PM
70 123