I thought glance only turns on a few pixels on amoled?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just realized that if it's pitch dark, my entire screen is lighting up very dimly with glance. Can anyone else try this at night by turning off all the lights and then activating glance. This is really strange. Either I have a defective unit or glance does not work as advertised.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
AMOLEDs aren't totally pitchly black, not every single pixel is dark when it's meant to be dark, there has been done a test, and it isn't really true, that the "black-meant-to be" pixels are totally turned off.

Neither of the specified is true, you don't have a defective unit, nor does the Glance malfunction, it's just the property of the AMOLED panel in Lumia 928.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's the backlight. The pixels are not active but the backlight is on...

Thanks guys, after reading all the reviews, everyone kept saying how amazing glance would be for amoled screens since it lights up individual pixels. But seems like it still uses a backlight? So is this even saving any battery?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, after reading all the reviews, everyone kept saying how amazing glance would be for amoled screens since it lights up individual pixels. But seems like it still uses a backlight? So is this even saving any battery?

I have been using more advanced version of glance screen (shows clock and notifications 24/7) on my N9 and it never affected battery life for me. I certainly haven't ever seen any light on back of AMOLED screen.

The idea of AMOLED screen is that every pixel emits its own light. This gives you superior contrast, but just as importantly it gives you much thinner display build. Also if there was additional backlight, you would think the display would use crazy amount of battery.

As a whole, if there was a backlight on 1020, why would have Nokia gone for AMOLED screen? It would eliminate every single positive thing that the screen type brings. I have never in my life even heard any of the display manufacteres making AMOLED screens with backlight. It would even add costs that would not need to be there.

It must be something else.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that while there is no backlight, when the screen assembly is "on", you get something like power leakage so the pixels may be ever so slightly "on". You can get more complex OLED's with more discretely powered areas. I believe the Moto X will have something like this, the center part of the screen will be on but not surrounding areas. Whereas our phone has one single power supply for the whole display.

source: reading the webs

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ exactly this. No analog circuit is 100% efficient. Every single diode/pixel will have some leakage when the panel is turned on. How much depends on the panel.

Additionally, we also have some photons being reflected on entering or leaving the glass layer, returning to ever so slightly illuminate the AMOLED surface, further contributing to it not being 100% black... although generally only perceivable in a pitch black room.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
^ exactly this. No analog circuit is 100% efficient. Every single diode/pixel will have some leakage when the panel is turned on. How much depends on the panel.

Additionally, we also have some photons being reflected on entering or leaving the glass layer, returning to ever so slightly illuminate the AMOLED surface, further contributing to it not being 100% black... although generally only perceivable in a pitch black room.

So another thing I noticed is that the illuminated leakage is not uniform. Again, I can only tell this in pitch dark, but when I have glance on, the screen looks blotchy. It looks like there's leakage in most of the screen, but some blotches of a darker black throughout. Is that normal?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
So another thing I noticed is that the illuminated leakage is not uniform. Again, I can only tell this in pitch dark, but when I have glance on, the screen looks blotchy. It looks like there's leakage in most of the screen, but some blotches of a darker black throughout. Is that normal?

Yes, there is another thread (I think it is in the 1020 forum?) discussing this exact issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes