So My Newer Model Lumia Is Gimped over an Older Model

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It could (not saying it is - just could) be as simple as cost. Yeah, the wire would probably cost a penny or less... But I used to work in the Auto industry, and worked not only for a car manufacturer at one point, but a supplier at another point. At the supplier, where we made seats to supply the car makers, I've seen discussions that lasted six months about whether or not to put something on a seat that was going to cost just a penny. Yeah.... When you're working for a publicly traded company, they do look at that level of cost. A penny per seat, or even a penny per seat set (I don't remember which it was, as I wasn't directly involved, just hearing from my boss), multiplied by millions of cars/seats can add up.

I am (well, was) an electronics engineer, and am now controlling our production and watching supply chain. I am pretty familiar with manufacturing electronics since that's what I do since 1975. I am going to guess for materials to connect to antenna, maybe a few cents. After than perhaps 5 or 10 cents to connect it - much of this work is done by hand, although this is probably nothing more than clipping the wire to the antenna. Still you multiply that over a few million phones, it's starting to look like enough money to by a nice house in Los Angeles or pay off the old Lamborghini.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It could (not saying it is - just could) be as simple as cost. Yeah, the wire would probably cost a penny or less... But I used to work in the Auto industry, and worked not only for a car manufacturer at one point, but a supplier at another point. At the supplier, where we made seats to supply the car makers, I've seen discussions that lasted six months about whether or not to put something on a seat that was going to cost just a penny. Yeah.... When you're working for a publicly traded company, they do look at that level of cost. A penny per seat, or even a penny per seat set (I don't remember which it was, as I wasn't directly involved, just hearing from my boss), multiplied by millions of cars/seats can add up.

Most people don't get this. Esp. when talking about electronics, employees are always being pushed to cut costs of parts and manufacturing, even a penny at a time.

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am (well, was) an electronics engineer, and am now controlling our production and watching supply chain. I am pretty familiar with manufacturing electronics since that's what I do since 1975. I am going to guess for materials to connect to antenna, maybe a few cents. After than perhaps 5 or 10 cents to connect it - much of this work is done by hand, although this is probably nothing more than clipping the wire to the antenna. Still you multiply that over a few million phones, it's starting to look like enough money to by a nice house in Los Angeles or pay off the old Lamborghini.
Well, did they sell the car with unusable seats, they still would be inside the vehicle.

As a reminder all the new Lumias have the radio connected (see the pic below) only the model for Verizon doesn't. It's nice marketing move "you pay more for less"
Lumia928_radio.jpg

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
No one here, or anywhere, is going to say anything to make you like this. And nothing that is said here is going to change it. There is a saying in engineering - "It is what it is." Verizon just does not really care too much if you are happy as an individual or not. They made the decision for what seemed to them to be a good reason. Whether it is objectively good is not necessarily so, but it is what it is. You have a decision to make; use the phone (and it's a darned nice phone, FM or no) or don't. There are other carriers and other phones. But the other carriers won't really be any better because their motivations are identical to Verizons; suck as much money from your wallet as possible, just short of starvation, because dead customers don't pay their bills.

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
No one here, or anywhere, is going to say anything to make you like this. And nothing that is said here is going to change it. There is a saying in engineering - "It is what it is." Verizon just does not really care too much if you are happy as an individual or not. They made the decision for what seemed to them to be a good reason. Whether it is objectively good is not necessarily so, but it is what it is. You have a decision to make; use the phone (and it's a darned nice phone, FM or no) or don't. There are other carriers and other phones. But the other carriers won't really be any better because their motivations are identical to Verizons; suck as much money from your wallet as possible, just short of starvation, because dead customers don't pay their bills.
Thank you for the quick response.
I love the phone and I would change it for the 1020 only. The fact is that MS & Verizon are pushing for more data consumption eliminating customers choices (wireless syncing & FM).
How they can compete with the other platforms? I don't think they can.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I love the phone and I would change it for the 1020 only. The fact is that MS & Verizon are pushing for more data consumption eliminating customers choices (wireless syncing & FM).

It is much more likely a cost savings move rather than pushing for more data use. Also, this would be Nokia working with Verizon on this, not MS.

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
It is much more likely a cost savings move rather than pushing for more data use. Also, this would be Nokia working with Verizon on this, not MS.
MS doesn't let me use wireless syncing with the PC. I can "wirelessly" charge the phone, but I have to use a wire to connect to my PC.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
MS doesn't let me use wireless syncing with the PC. I can "wirelessly" charge the phone, but I have to use a wire to connect to my PC.

My comment was regarding the FM Radio. My apologies for not noticing you included wireless syncing in that post. Most of this thread is about FM Radio.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

I am on the fence with the 1020 - I'd love to have that camera. But the OS and performance otherwise is going to be more or less identical. And I rarely use the camera..... On the gripping hand, I am itching for a new phone and the new Droid Maxx is awesome. I saw the Moto X today and while it's not far off the Maxx in terms of features, I like the way the Maxx feels in my hand. I wish there were more new W8 phones around.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am on the fence with the 1020 - I'd love to have that camera. But the OS and performance otherwise is going to be more or less identical. And I rarely use the camera..... On the gripping hand, I am itching for a new phone and the new Droid Maxx is awesome. I saw the Moto X today and while it's not far off the Maxx in terms of features, I like the way the Maxx feels in my hand. I wish there were more new W8 phones around.

More WP8 phones are coming in the next few months. I would at least wait until the end of sept. for announcements.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
i dont get the fuss over the FM radio who cares about a miniscule feature like that u can get a app to listen to fm radio if its that serious.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i dont get the fuss over the FM radio who cares about a miniscule feature like that u can get a app to listen to fm radio if its that serious.

Does it take that much imagination to foresee, that in some parts of the world radio signals are more easily received than wireless data packets, or that some people may just not want to stream music if their wireless data contracts are limited?

I'm not saying it's a huge feature, but millions of people appreciate a radio in their phone.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I read that thread. This topic is about the precedent that this sets with Nokia phones. When I choose the more advanced model of a phone, I expect all of the features of the lesser model and then some. But with Nokia, this seems arbitrary.

I love WP8, but another carrier needs to step the f-up because Nokia isn't cutting it.
Most company's do it this way sir.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

It's the cable inside the phone, in bulk when designing the phone to run this "cable" that people claim is the problem (still saying BS to that), would cost $0.00001.

It's the support side of it, the 928 didn't come with headphones, so people will complain that Verizon didn't supply then with all the stuff to use their phone ($2 after shipping, around $0.39 for the headphones), then it's the support level, as most FM receivers on the phone are weak at best, they work very well if you have a strong signal but, a little weak and your not getting anything.

Someone sat around a table and thought about it, FM in the long run would cost them some money on this phone so they disabled it. I just hate the fact that you buy a $550 item and some moron around a table decides how you can use your phone.

If anything we should expect a part refund for the lack of a feature, I personally think there should be a LAW in the US where carriers MUST enable all features on phone if they support it from a factory level.

Gee wiz, the 920 is getting the FM radio...isn't the 928 based on the 920 ?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It's the cable inside the phone, in bulk when designing the phone to run this "cable" that people claim is the problem (still saying BS to that), would cost $0.00001.

It's the support side of it, the 928 didn't come with headphones, so people will complain that Verizon didn't supply then with all the stuff to use their phone ($2 after shipping, around $0.39 for the headphones), then it's the support level, as most FM receivers on the phone are weak at best, they work very well if you have a strong signal but, a little weak and your not getting anything.

Someone sat around a table and thought about it, FM in the long run would cost them some money on this phone so they disabled it. I just hate the fact that you buy a $550 item and some moron around a table decides how you can use your phone.

If anything we should expect a part refund for the lack of a feature, I personally think there should be a LAW in the US where carriers MUST enable all features on phone if they support it from a factory level.

Gee wiz, the 920 is getting the FM radio...isn't the 928 based on the 920 ?
You want An refund on something nobody promised You?
I see, anyway I have 920 and I never actually use my fm anyway.

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
i dont think this is a very big deal.. its not like this is a feature they even advertise in commericals for their phones
plus, most people (outside of us nerds) probably didnt even realize it appeared after the update
when you chose to purchase this phone, there was nothing that said you would get this feature

honestly, if i didnt follow wpcentral, i dont think i would have even found the radio in the music hub after the update

i have an 822, and i am still extremely jealous of the 928 for its camera, screen, flash, wireless charging, and overall aesthetics of the phone
mainly the camera.. the 822 camera isnt what i would call prime time

in the end, you still got the better phone, thus it is worthy of the 9xx moniker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs