nokia lumia 928 vs samsung galaxy s4 pictures sample after amber update

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Here are some of the same view, but around 8:30PM from a 928, iPhone 4S and a BB Z10. The 928 isn't exactly sharp but a heck of a lot lighter. No flash used on any of them, btw.

928.jpgiPhone4S.jpgZ10.jpg

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here are three more. Basement bar. Turned on the overhead lights but dimmed them way low. Behind me is a 20 gallon fish tank that is lit up.. Not a ton of light in there. No flash again.

1. 928, 2. iPhone 4S, 3. Z10 (I think I did something wrong with the Z10 one...)

928_bar.jpgiPhone4s_bar.jpgZ10_bar.jpg

Bernard Ofori

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here are three more. Basement bar. Turned on the overhead lights but dimmed them way low. Behind me is a 20 gallon fish tank that is lit up.. Not a ton of light in there. No flash again.

1. 928, 2. iPhone 4S, 3. Z10 (I think I did something wrong with the Z10 one...)

View attachment 41020View attachment 41021View attachment 41022

the 928 shows its true colors all around. Wow what a difference. the S4 wont even come close in low light

john_blaze

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Great thread. Nice to see the 928 being compared to some of the other popular smartphone cameras directly, instead of by proxy by way of the 920. I get that the 928 has the same camera module as the 920, but it would have at least been nice to see some low light comparisons to see how it fares to other cameras with it's xenon flash. Maybe it's a good thing, considering the white balance issues it has when it's on auto, which might have turned off some buyers.

To my eyes, the pictures from S4 are sharper than those from the 928, it's particularly noticeable in the third (tree in the middle with the red car behind it) and fourth (bush in the middle with the blu e-cigs advertisement to the right) set. Now given that the S4 is praised as being one of the best smartphone cameras (discounting the 808 and 1020, since they're in a league of their own) I think the 928 held up rather nicely. There is definitely some softness, but not unbearably so.

As far as the colors being over saturated goes, I think that's just a trade-off of the low-light capabilities. Not really sure how all of it works, but I'm sure being able to capture all that light in near darkness, affects how it take images in general including shots with good lighting. So we get a good all around camera, instead of a great one that we can only use half the time, I'd say that's a fair trade-off.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I like that it takes acceptable daytime pictures, but that is what you expect out of a high-end and well regarded smartphone nowadays. But adding inside/low-light capabilities, and honestly, the Pro cam interface (I have Proshot, but for ease of use prefer the Nokia) makes a nice difference. I'm hoping to play with my phone more over the next several months.

(and man, the "reframing" aspect of the software makes me want a 1028 or whatever even more!)

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
dont get me wrong, l love iphones, but their pictures are very boring to look at. iphone literally takes natural pictures. it takes pictures exactly the way what you see with your eyes making it personally boring for me.
I don't agree with that. iphones are known to take over-saturated images just like Nokia has started doing recently.
Also, I have noticed that recent Nokia algorithms show even more over-saturation when the subject is full of green like the above picture of garden/grass.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
To quench my curiosity, what about file size comparison between the three? Seeing is half of it for me. How do each of the pics shown above compare in size? If my 928 looks better, do I also win with storage? Thanks in advance. It would have to be the original that is on the phone and not what is uploaded here.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
To quench my curiosity, what about file size comparison between the three? Seeing is half of it for me. How do each of the pics shown above compare in size? If my 928 looks better, do I also win with storage? Thanks in advance. It would have to be the original that is on the phone and not what is uploaded here.

Shoot.. I thought what I uploaded WAS the full image. It looks like it isn't. Maybe not the best comparison then?

My original day backyard pictures were 928 default: 2,893KB. 928 Pro cam: 2,845KB and iPhone 4S 3,316KB.

The only ones are on my home computer so I can't say, but I do clearly remember that the Nokia ones were a lot larger then the iPhone and the Z10, but that makes sense because since they are brighter they pick up more things which would make the picture larger.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
dont get me wrong, l love iphones, but their pictures are very boring to look at. iphone literally takes natural pictures. it takes pictures exactly the way what you see with your eyes making it personally boring for me.

I find iP5 oversaturates colours in bright daylight, especially painted colourful surfaces such as buildings and cars basking in sunlight. However, iP5 photos still appear "effortless" and unprocessed on other scores.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree with that. iphones are known to take over-saturated images just like Nokia has started doing recently.
Also, I have noticed that recent Nokia algorithms show even more over-saturation when the subject is full of green like the above picture of garden/grass.

That's interesting. I've always heard that iPhone pictures look very natural (maybe it's just the iPhone 5, Idk).

And, you're right, Lumias definitely oversaturate greens. Sometimes it makes pictures look very nice and vivid, but sometimes it looks very unnatural. For example, on a very cloudy, dark day, you'll probably get a picture with bright green grass and a dark, gray sky.

I personally want Nokia to take a step back from oversaturation and produce cameras that take more natural photos, but that's just me. Still love my Lumia 920's camera though :)

Also, great thread! I agree with the majority, I like the 928 photos better than the S4 photos.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
the 928 camera is so much better, look at the colors, in the 928 pictures colors are much more vivid and alive, the detail is nice also..

with the s4 the details are fine, but the photo seems to be dead, colors doesn't pop up, it's just... boring? too bright for me, I don't like it...

and 925 shall get even better pictures..

1020/920/925/928 are and will bethe best cameras on mobile, until NOKIA releases something better..

well.. low light shots.. I don't even have to say something.. =p

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's all down to personal choice. Clearly in low light the 928 blows the other two away.

For me, the 928 is softer than the S4, but the S4 has more noise because of more detail. The iPhone is still quite good (daylight). I'd say it's colors are more how the eyes would see.

I'd love a 1020 since its got detail and low light. Contracts... gotta wait... *sigh*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb