Will the Nokia 928 eventually get WIndows Phone 8.1 update?

meson2000

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I am coming from Android and considering getting the 928. In the Android world updates are hit or miss by manufacturer and carrier. Just wondering what the consensus is on this phone getting 8.1 Thanks.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Will Microsoft release the update to Nokia? Yes

Will Nokia release the update to Verizon? Yes

Will Verizon release it to users? Million $$ question :-o

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If it's released within the 36 months of Windows Phone 8 release, it should be released to all Windows Phone 8 devices (not counting disco'd models) this is what MS said (if it's released in the next 6-8 months we should be good but, it's up to Verizon to release it).

I would bet we would get this, and there will be a 8.5 that is going to be new models and hardware.

I just hope the experts over at XDA figure this out, There is still Windows Phone 7 devices that dont have 7.8 but, XDA figured that one out, maybe they will open WP8...

Not sure why this is a discussion now, as this is 5-6 months out before we know a feature set (this is after GDR3 as I understand)or an idea on release. This is like talking 2 versions of Android later, sure you can guess but, till we hear some offical stuff, it's just ANOTHER rumor...

meson2000

May 13, 2013
Visit site
If it's released within the 36 months of Windows Phone 8 release, it should be released to all Windows Phone 8 devices (not counting disco'd models) this is what MS said (if it's released in the next 6-8 months we should be good but, it's up to Verizon to release it).

I would bet we would get this, and there will be a 8.5 that is going to be new models and hardware.

I just hope the experts over at XDA figure this out, There is still Windows Phone 7 devices that dont have 7.8 but, XDA figured that one out, maybe they will open WP8...

Not sure why this is a discussion now, as this is 5-6 months out before we know a feature set (this is after GDR3 as I understand)or an idea on release. This is like talking 2 versions of Android later, sure you can guess but, till we hear some offical stuff, it's just ANOTHER rumor...

Sorry, I just happened to stumble upon the recent 8.1 news on the home page. It had me thinking. :) I am aware that the GDR3 update is next in line. I just figured that the GDR3 update would be a minor one like the GDR2 update and that anything new and big would come in the 8.1 update. Didn't mean to jump the gun...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I just happened to stumble upon the recent 8.1 news on the home page. It had me thinking. :) I am aware that the GDR3 update is next in line. I just figured that the GDR3 update would be a minor one like the GDR2 update and that anything new and big would come in the 8.1 update. Didn't mean to jump the gun...

It's cool and a valid question....I guess the true answers would be is when 8.1 is released, is the 928 still a in demand phone for the time? If there is not a newer model replacing it and still a high demand for the phone, we will get it, if not, you have to question it. Just like you do on android models.

This is NOT a Microsoft thing, this is a Verizon/Carrier thing...I really hope by then the experts over at XDA figure it out, then we dont have to worry about. For WP7 there was small batch file, you ran with your phone connected and it updated it, it even did 7.8 on devices MONTHS ago that still dont have the offical version.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure Microsoft said they would support devices for 18 months, so if 8.1. drops early next year the 928 should meet the criteria and seeing how Verizon kicked **** with the GDR2 update for the 928 and the 822 already I think the odds are pretty good. Never thought I'd say that on Verizon. :)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I know someone in VZW corporate sales. Verizon's intent with WP8 has long been to role out updates quickly. They have an advantage over other carriers in that they have more dedicated testers in the field than other cell providers. Just remember, there is a huge difference between Windows Phone and Android. Android is fragmented. Google provides little support. The manufacturers provide some, but they prefer to make the handset and let the carriers deal with the mess. So it is the carrier that has to prepare the update and then has to work with a disinterested manufacturer that has moved on to another project. But it is the carrier that bears the primary cost in an Android update.

Not so with Windows Phone. The builder of the OS works with the carrier and the manufacturer to ensure the quality of release and the rollout. Verizon knew that the first update would take longer as they figured out how the system worked with WP8. They anticipated that they would be able to roll out GDR2 much more quickly and they anticipate that by the time 8.1 hits, all WP8 devices on Verizon should get it simultaneously - though it may be Nokias first because Nokia is a much better partner and has less of a "let the carrier handle it" attitude.

The VZW engineering staff and the corporate people LOVE Nokia after being skeptical a year ago. In Nokia and Microsoft, they have partners. Samsung is just a manufacturer that leaves VZW to deal with issues, just as Google leaves Samsung and other manufacturers to deal with Android issues. The dynamic on Windows Phone is different and very refreshing to the industry. Verizon, Microsoft, and Nokia work together as friends to provide the best customer experience possible. It makes all three look good AND makes it easier to make customers happy with all their combined resources.

So, yes, expect 8.1. And expect it sooner rather than later. GDR2 and GDR3 ran ahead of schedule (GDR3 is apparently done and in testing, should be less than 2 months away). 8.1 isn't quite finished, but Verizon has test devices (including 928s and 822s - they use mostly Nokia to test because Nokia is active in firmware development ahead of OS releases).

KrightonX

May 22, 2013
Visit site
updates HURT new phone sales. Why get a new phone when your existing one has all the new enhancements as the new ones. The carriers will delay it a LONG as possible.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure Microsoft said they would support devices for 18 months, so if 8.1. drops early next year the 928 should meet the criteria and seeing how Verizon kicked **** with the GDR2 update for the 928 and the 822 already I think the odds are pretty good. Never thought I'd say that on Verizon. :)

Windows Phone 8 support lasts until January 12, 2016. Newer iterations of the Windows Phone 8.x family will have different support lifecycles. Unfortunately, this doesn't tell you anything about what you should expect in the way of updates to WP8 devices. Microsoft and Nokia are both very likely to package updates for a very long time, but it's up to the carriers to push them.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
updates HURT new phone sales. Why get a new phone when your existing one has all the new enhancements as the new ones. The carriers will delay it a LONG as possible.

Not true at all. The reason that the carriers go with two year deals is because most people want or need a new phone by then. They generally don't care if you get a new phone or not, they just want you under contract. The payment you make to them monthly is what matters. They don't make money on the phones generally.

It's actually the opposite. Enhancements to your phone tend to make you happier with the carrier. The problem in the Android market is that it is the carrier that has to bear the burden of deployment and testing. They have to dedicate more resources, so it takes longer. They also have to make decisions based on how many handsets are active on their network. For instance, I had a Trophy before my 822. I haven't heard if they've deployed 7.8, but I doubt they have. Why? Most of their customers from the Trophy already moved over to a new WP8 handset. If they have 1,000 people left on the device, they will not expend a lot of resources in testing it.

But MS makes updates a lot easier on the carriers. They also will have more power to force the updates as the platform grows. I don't expect them to ever get too pushy with the carriers. Regardless of that, the carriers do want you under contract, so they do want you to get a new phone when your current contract is up but they always have a lot of under contract people who will wait for new features that they want to keep happy so they won't go somewhere else when the contract is up.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The only time a WP handset has not been eligible for an update was when they went to WP8 and changed the kernel. It wouldn't be surprising if the L92x phones could all run WP9, but it would be unthinkable for them not to run 8.1. Maybe low-RAM devices might not run WP9 (if that's the next version). But 8.1 should be for everything like Mango was for all WP7s.

That's all speculation, on the assumption that MS isn't insane.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how this makes sense in the US market. Most people are on the hook for 2 years and can't buy a new phone.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Carriers absolutely do not want you to upgrade, because it costs them ~$20 per month when you do. Gross that up for VZW's 100mm postpaid customers and we are talking huge numbers monthly. There is literally nothing they want more than to get you to continue paying full price and not get a new phone, or to pay for your phone outright (either upfront or through their "Next" programs).

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
They want you to upgrade. It locks you into a two year contract which they use to forecast future earnings because its guaranteed money and helps them to plan capitol projects.

If they don't want you to upgrade they wouldn't be calling me all the time telling me I have 3 lines to upgrade.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
They want you to upgrade. It locks you into a two year contract which they use to forecast future earnings because its guaranteed money and helps them to plan capitol projects.

If they don't want you to upgrade they wouldn't be calling me all the time telling me I have 3 lines to upgrade.

Thats only because they know that if you have x amount of line and x-1, x-2 etc upgrades available you are likely about to switch carriers. They have customer retention models to predict your likelihood of leaving. I'm the only one in my family that doesn't have the family plan, and have never been contacted when my twp years were up. Likewise, my parents have never been contacted because all their phone upgrades are staggered over a good portion of time

There is a reason they moved the upgrade eligibility date to 24 months from 20 this year

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The correct answer to the OP question: Yes. Without a doubt.

Oh come on, hop. It's much more complicated than that. Everyone here is perfectly justified in putting so much thought and speculation into this. I'll explain below in both short and long response forms.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yes, the Nokia Lumia 928 will receive the WP8.1 update when it is released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)