App that shows what is using battery?

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Similar to the stock Android batter info? I can usually run all morning and be down to 97% by lunchtime (I don't use the phone much in the morning at all and WP8 battery management is the best) but today I found it was down to 50% by 9AM. I did leave the Kindle app alive, since it has that annoying bug of putting up a blank screen a few times if you close it, as opposed to leaving it run and switching to it. I suspect that's what are the battery, but I have no proof of it.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to look for an app that shows exactly which apps drain your battery, none can do.

However, if you're going to look for other kinds of battery apps in the store, there are plenty, such as Zapi Battery, an app simply named Battery, or a full-featured tool called Insider.
In fact, WPCentral ran a story about another battery app. Couldn't hurt to read a little.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not looking for battery stats. Battery Sense works fine for that. Android will tell you what is using your battery (although not necessarily by app)- and thank you for the passive/aggressive suggestion to read a little. But no matter how much I read, I'm not going to find what I want apparently and the endless hours I spend on WPCentral are seemingly lost in the dead abyss of my mind. Even the good editors of WPCentral don't know everything and know what? They sometimes miss stuff and are (gasp) sometimes wrong. But I do appreciate the assumption that I'm a lazy git :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not looking for battery stats. Battery Sense works fine for that. Android will tell you what is using your battery (although not necessarily by app)- and thank you for the passive/aggressive suggestion to read a little. But no matter how much I read, I'm not going to find what I want apparently and the endless hours I spend on WPCentral are seemingly lost in the dead abyss of my mind. Even the good editors of WPCentral don't know everything and know what? They sometimes miss stuff and are (gasp) sometimes wrong. But I do appreciate the assumption that I'm a lazy git :)
I don't really want to imply that you're lazy ;) No one beats me at that!

Now, a detailed breakdown of battery stats is useful if you know what apps you opened during that timeframe. If you know what you opened, you'll have a much easier time.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The security model that Windows Phone uses doesn't allow apps to be aware of other apps, and doesn't allow them to explore other apps' data, use, etc. So what you're looking for isn't possible (unless it were to be built into the OS, that is - would be a nice feature to add, MS).

That said, there is a roundabout way to get an idea of where the battery usage is, provided you have Data Sense, and since you're posting in the 928 forum I'll assume that's the phone you have, so you do. If you look at the apps that are using the most data, there's probably a good idea of who's using the most battery. Of course this isn't always going to be the case, especially with games, which may be using high power without using much internet... But it can help to narrow things down some.

With only 82 posts here and over 1250 global posts, I'm going to assume that this is your first Windows Phone (apologies if not), so welcome to Windows Phone. Here's another thread I started that goes into detail on the background tasks and such. While rare, it is possible for background tasks to use a lot of battery. A background task is allowed to run for 25 seconds, and will run approximately every half hour (30 +/- 10 min). Given that, it is possible for a single background agent to be processing for up to 30 minutes in a 24 hour period. Most won't run near that long, probably many for not even a second, but if you've got apps that are running long background agents (and unfortunately there is no way to know how long they are running), and you have several of them (I'm running 12 background agents now, but have run up to 15), you can see how this could quickly add up.

Here's that link I mentioned - good knowledge if you're interested in it.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't really want to imply that you're lazy ;) No one beats me at that!

Now, a detailed breakdown of battery stats is useful if you know what apps you opened during that timeframe. If you know what you opened, you'll have a much easier time.

I bet I can. Know why I take umbrage at this implication? Because I'm supposed to be working and I've read every article on WPCentral already and keep refreshing it waiting for new material! Except for when I'm over on Android Central... And I still drop in on Crackberry, although I've gotten past my mourning period for Blackberry. i used to live on that site and I still look with fondness on my 9930.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not entirely new to WP, but I wasn't around for the WP7 days. I was happily using BB, from the 8330 on forward to the 9930, then to Android (with a brief excursion into iOS). I now own an 8X and the 928, plus a few Android phones like a MaxxHD and DNA, with a Droid Maxx on order. Plus a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2, which I surprisingly love to death. It runs everything except a rather specialized app we use to talk to our motor - it's missing a DLL, and since we didn't develop the app I am not sure which one it needs that's not on the tab. Dependency walkers don't help much since there are about a million DLLs used for more or less every app. Let's see, what else - oh yeah, I have a pile of tabs, including a nice iPad 3, BB tab and Samsung Note 8.

Know what this site needs? More info on Windows 8 tabs. I was looking for info on the Lenovo but there is nothing for that here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte