New Lumia 928 - Dark Streaks on Screen

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I just got a Nokia Lumia 928 yesterday and today I noticed something strange. When the phone's screen is on but displaying black pixels (e.g. a black background, camera app when lens is covered) there are some odd looking streaks on the screen. The issue is not unlike what's being described here:

Black spot on screen - Nokia Support Discussions

Basically, it looks as if the majority of the screen was being lit by a very dim backlight while these irregularly shaped streaks and spots are truly completely dark. I realize that this phone has an AMOLED display and therefore has no backlight, so my only guess is that the majority of pixels have some sort of small current applied to them save for those in the really dark spots. When the screen is off or displaying color the spots are no longer visible.

I am concerned as this is distracting and the phone is brand new. Have any of you ever seen this? Should I take the phone back for replacement?

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey! I have a 928 and I notice it on my phone all the time. I think it has something to do with the way the screen works. To display black color as dark as amoled screens do, pixels will completely shut off when they are not being used. I think its something along those lines (I'm not the most tech savvy person out there.) Anyways, my guess is that it's just random pixels that don't shut off completely or just stay on when a screen is loading. It doesn't seem to effect the screen when it's on so I don't worry about it. Lol.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is normal for AMOLED screens. My 928, Q10, and Galaxy Nexus all have the artifacts on black screens.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
I have dark streaks on my 928. They appear in the lower left corner and a few of them are about 1/3 or 1/4 the length of the screen. They do not however appear in any apps or otherwise cause issues with screen display. I figured it was something similar to what has been described above.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for the sources and thank everyone for the corroboration. This is unfortunate for someone with slight OCD such as myself but not that big a deal as the circumstances under which the symptoms occur are rare during normal use.

For the sake of completeness, the L1020 thread links the xda post below, which does a good job of explaining the situation:

Mura Effect & AMOLED Displays (Note II) - xda-developers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99