Getting new phone: is Lumia 928 better than HTC 8x?

Spyro543

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade, and wanted to get a smartphone this time. I already have an iPad, so I don't need an iPhone, and I really don't like Android, especially the variation that's put on Samsung's Galaxy S3. The two phones I'm considering are the Lumia 928 (I'm on Verizon) and the HTC Windows Phone 8x. The reason I posted in this thread is that I'm almost sure I want the Lumia, but I'm still considering the HTC 8x. Both phones seem to have their fair share of problems, though. I don't really care about the quality of the camera, but I do care about screen resolution and clarity, and good battery life. Which of these phones would be good for someone who has never had a Windows phone before, and doesn't want to deal with a lot of problems? Also, I won't be able to get a new phone for 2-3 weeks.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
-32GB Memory vs 16GB
-Better Camera vs Umm I dunno, mediocore camera?
-4.5 inches screen
-2000 mAh battery

montsa007's 100% peace of mind guarantee, you will love 928.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I use the HTC 8X and absolutely love it. I think that Nokia has proven that they are willing to go the extra mile for this platform so with regard to camera performance/software I'm sure the 928 will be tops.

I have no issues with storage space I didn't have with my 16GB iPhone. I regularly backup pics to my computer and Skydrive so they don't take up space really. I'd say the majority of my content is music and applications.

I think the 8X wins from a design standpoint, this may be my personal opinion but I prefer the LCD over the AMOLED. Outdoor visibility is fine at the medium setting and the colors are more accurate. Advantages of AMOLED allows the glance clock feature and possible battery savings.

Issues I have with my 8X are the wide-angle front-facing camera. The pics it takes look a tiny bit stretched. The rear camera is fantastic though. Also, as many have said, the buttons are hard to find/push at first since they are so flush, but if you get a case around it, it won't be an issue.

I prefer the soft touch of the 8X over the harder feel of the 928 but a case puts them on even footing there.

The speakerphone on the 8X is fantastic and I find the earpiece/headphone experience to be top notch as well. I've only listened to the 928 through headphones once and it was an unfamiliar track so I can't compare the two really. Calls are great. I don't have issues hearing people as I did in the past with an HTC Incredible.

I considered upgrading to the 928 but want to wait to see what Nokia comes out with next. I'd like something thinner and a little more powerful to make me give up the 8X.

Whichever you choose, you'll be happy, I'm sure..

Spyro543

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Montsa007: It sure does look better...the only reason I considered the HTC 8x was that the 928 is almost always out of stock.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You really need to compare the specs of each phone. Then go to a store and handle them for yourself. Only you can decide which is better.

I choose the L822 over the HTC 8X and that was after having the Trophy. I liked the Lumia design better. Then when I found this 928 for a good deal, I jumped on it. Personally, I think Nokia is doing the better job of supporting WP.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
8X - great feel in the hand, higher resolution screen to see more, not that great outside in sun but awesome indoors, music sounds much better,
928 - Nokia support and apps, awesome screen outside in sun, heavier and bulkier than 8X, power button on side is much easier, battery maybe just a little better but 8X is pretty good, camera is better

I've used both and use the 928 now, but have the 8X in reserve. When I listen to music, I want the 8X. When I'm outside using the phone, I want the 928.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Owned an 8x and now I have a 928...the 8x is a nice phone but the Lumia is backed by Nokia support which makes the phone already much better than the 8x.

If I am not mistaken, the 8x screen resolution is pretty good but certain apps have that letterbox look due to them not being optimized for the 8x.

Also hardware wise while the 8x LOOKS better than the 928, the 8x hardware Is known to discolor/rub off.

Definitely recommend the Lumia line.

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm using 8x now. If you have lumia in your option, go for it. But from my opinion, i prefer htc's super lcd compared to amoled. I went to nokia centre the other day just to look for lumia 925. When i see the screen, i think i prefer the lcd one. The sound also superb in htc. I never use lumia. But 16gb definitely not enough for win phone though. If that lumia offer 32gb, go for it.

And i'm thinking to switch to lumia when they release the new one. Maybe 1080p phone.

Spyro543

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading the bugs and defects thread for the Lumia 928, and there seem to be a ton! Most of them that I've read were from a few months ago, so are most of the problems fixed by now?

jonathanbailie

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Most folks don't have problems with their phones. The problems you do read about are from a fairly small minority of phone owners. People are more likely to voice their opinion if they have a bad experience rather than if they have a good one.

Get the 928!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

bjeans

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
No 928 bugs here, after a few weeks of usage. My husband also just got the 928 (free now through Verizon) and it was easy for me to set it up at home, including getting the new Amber update. I noticed two small features weren't on his phone that were in mine, but someone told me how to get them through the free SysApp Pusher - which is neat to have anyway for updates - and that only took a minute. The Nokia Pro Camera is amazing, and it's free from the store. Just my take. We both had HTC Trophies before the 928 and never had a problem with them, so I'm fond of the HTC brand. I also have an iPad, didn't want an iPhone and don't like Droid phones, funny.

To be fair, I got the very first Droid and I'm sure they've been vastly improved since that glitchy one that sent me deleted emails dozens of times, among other tricks it had. (I had returned it on day 30 and got the Trophy - more than 2 year ago?)

Maybe it isn't the case with the two phones you're comparing, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but often the people who come to boards have problems or questions, and the tons of people without problems don't. If you go any car discussion board, for example, you'd think that every make and model is falling apart. Enjoy whichever phone you get.

Spyro543

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I guess the Lumia 928 would be a good choice then. Again, I won't be able to do anything about getting a new phone for 2+ weeks, but I'm pretty sure that I'll get the 928.

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
Just back from vacation in a so-so Verizon LTE coverage area. This usually eats battery like no tomorrow since the phone is constantly connecting/re-connecting. The battery easily made it through a full day. Definitely like the wireless charging which made it easy to re-charge at night.

Used the Nokia 928 for pictures (my fave vs iPhone and HTC One - both of which I had with me).

I have a very small crack in the lower right corner of the display screen. I've not dropped the phone to any hard surfaces but did drop it onto the grass once which may have somehow cause the crack.

Prior to this 928 I had a 920 on ATT. Both my Nokia devices have these "wonky" power buttons which feel like they're just a little too depressed (flush) and at some point may be tough to continue pushing to power on the device. Luckily the power button on both has not gotten any worse so it's more my irrational fear than anything.

Display in the outside light was very good (it was sunny all week on vacation) and the newly updated camera app is great.

Have had good luck with the Lumia -- however to be fair if I was using an HTC 8x I could very well be saying the same thing about that device.

papahood

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had both phones and currently using the 928 and like it a lot better. Mostly everything has already been mentioned above, but for me I think the screen is bigger and better on the 928, it's bulkier and just feels more solid, and i like the power button on the side rather than the top. The 8x has beats audio which does sound better. Mostly it's going to be a personal preference, go to the store and hold each one and I think they are both FREE right now. Based on that alone the 928 is a better value with the bigger storage and exclusive Nokia support.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Montsa007: It sure does look better...the only reason I considered the HTC 8x was that the 928 is almost always out of stock.

Well my username, the 'm' is not in caps.
As for out of stock, am not sure about that you could get it on bestbuy or something like that?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Just back from vacation in a so-so Verizon LTE coverage area. This usually eats battery like no tomorrow since the phone is constantly connecting/re-connecting. The battery easily made it through a full day. Definitely like the wireless charging which made it easy to re-charge at night.

Used the Nokia 928 for pictures (my fave vs iPhone and HTC One - both of which I had with me).

I have a very small crack in the lower right corner of the display screen. I've not dropped the phone to any hard surfaces but did drop it onto the grass once which may have somehow cause the crack.

Prior to this 928 I had a 920 on ATT. Both my Nokia devices have these "wonky" power buttons which feel like they're just a little too depressed (flush) and at some point may be tough to continue pushing to power on the device. Luckily the power button on both has not gotten any worse so it's more my irrational fear than anything.

Display in the outside light was very good (it was sunny all week on vacation) and the newly updated camera app is great.

Have had good luck with the Lumia -- however to be fair if I was using an HTC 8x I could very well be saying the same thing about that device.

If the phone has an option to disable LTE, use it ;)

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If the HTC One Windows Phone version was coming out anytime soon, I might say wait for that but in comparing the Lumia 928 to the HTC 8x, I'd have to say go with the Lumia. Or wait to see what Nokia is releasing next month. I have a Lumia 920 and love it!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb