Getting new phone: is Lumia 928 better than HTC 8x?

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Having owned both, the 928 every day all day. It is a better device in just about every way. My #1 gripe about the 8X was the horrible hardware buttons. TERRIBLE design. It takes effort to press them because they are flush, and the power button is a pain.

Oldfart.dk

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I swiched my lumia to a 8x, and can say : dont try This at home :)
Missing Nokias apps - terrible hardware Buttons on the 8x.
Its not a lousy phone but Nokias models is just better

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has much better software, especially with Amber. Hardware-wise, Nokia has a better camera, and a faster screen if it has PureMotion like the 920. But the 8X has all its subpixels so the resolution is higher (928 is PenTile).

bjeans

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I guess the Lumia 928 would be a good choice then. Again, I won't be able to do anything about getting a new phone for 2+ weeks, but I'm pretty sure that I'll get the 928.

I got mine from a corporate Verizon store; they had it in stock. But my husband's was ordered on line from Verizon - with help with a phone rep - and it was here in two days. We had the choice of setting it up at home or bringing it to the store; I did it from home, was not as complicated as I thought it would be. I did have to upload the Amber alert. Afterwards I noticed a couple pieces were missing - mainly Glance and double-tap to wake up the phone. Someone here recommended getting the app SysApp Pusher to get them - it's a great little app anyway. I think eventually the phone would have gotten a notifcation to update something, and then the missing bits would have been accessible.

bjeans

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is better because Nokia cares more.

So, the 8X camera is mediocre because you haven't tried it? :/

4.5 inches of PenTile. The 8X has a better screen.

If we're talking cameras on the 928, which one? The default, or the two that are now available: Nokia Smart Cam or Nokia Pro Cam? (You can get Smart and/or Pro at the store for free.) Pro Cam is amazing. I think they're all good, actually. I was in the market to buy a small camera for my work, since I was tired of carrying around a big one, and now i don't have to. Folks can read reviews of SmartCam and ProCam on line.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is better because Nokia cares more.

So, the 8X camera is mediocre because you haven't tried it? :/

4.5 inches of PenTile. The 8X has a better screen.

Define "Better". I own both the 8X and the 928. I never use the 8X because the screen, compared to the 928, sucks. It's dim, it's flat, and it lacks contrast. If it was the horrible pentile LED display of the 928, I'd be carrying it because it's a lot nicer to carry around. But that screen is awful, so the phone sits. Too bad because otherwise it's a nice phone. Oh, and the buttons. Those are kinda bad too. Otherwise it's a nice phone :p

This isn't the crappy pentile screen of the old Droid Razrs. It's a nice screen. Pentile at high res is fine. Unless you make a habit of looking at your screen under a loupe.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Having owned both, the 928 every day all day. It is a better device in just about every way. My #1 gripe about the 8X was the horrible hardware buttons. TERRIBLE design. It takes effort to press them because they are flush, and the power button is a pain.
I tbought that about the power button as well but it doesn't feel like that much of a stretch anymore. I think its kinda how the Droid X screen used to be "too big" in my hand but now it seems smallish compared to the other phones. I've gotten used to it and now I see how it got through to manufacturing in its current form.

A case is almost a necessity for it to be able to accurately push the buttons but man is this phone pretty.

ArsenalofDoom

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Full disclosure, first picked-up the HTC8, free with new 2yr contract. It's a great aesthetic design, fits well in the pocket for a smart phone, (almost as unobtrusive as basic phone). Someone posted it's a small "big phone" and I agree.

That being said I exchanged the phone for the 928, ($35 restocking fee), after doing exhaustive post p/u and posts e-search, for all of the reasons others have stated regarding better specs, camera and Nokia support & apps. I only regret that the 928 doesn't have the same lite pocket feel...I'll get over it or get a belt clip.

So if design and feel are more important go with the HTC8. Keep in mind the soft shell as been known to rub off/discolor going in and out of pocket, and if you're going to case it it may loose that pocket feel...and yes the screen is smaller and that fifth of an inch does make a difference in readability. I also wasn't sure the direction HTC is going as far as future support.

Good luck and let us know what you get,
Rafa

Juro

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Both are great phones, but the 928 is a better phone -- it's not even close.

Just compare the screens side by side - the 8x has a nice screen, but the 928 is on par with Retina devices.

Also, the Nokia software and camera are second to none.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Both are great phones, but the 928 is a better phone -- it's not even close.

Just compare the screens side by side - the 8x has a nice screen, but the 928 is on par with Retina devices.

Also, the Nokia software and camera are second to none.

I've had both, but passed my 8x to my girlfriend. I can basically break it down like this:

Lumia 928 advantages
- more storage
- Nokia exclusive apps (meant more when the 8x didn't have Here Plus)
- Better camera
- Better support
- Better battery life

8x Advantaged
- much thinner, great design but possibly a bit fragile
- screen a bit smaller with similar resolution = higher pixels per inch (but not really noticeable)
- Onboard amplifier and beats audio (to my ears, the best sounding cell phone I have ever used, blows away anything else)

The only real Nokia program I wished I had when I used an 8x wad the Play To application. If this isn't a concern for you, then it probably comes down to form factor. I love my 928, but the 8x holds its own and my girlfriend loves it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have either phone, but I do have the 920. For the love of all things awesome, get the 928! I would always recommended Nokia and Lumia over anything else. Incredible phones are made by Nokia, and the 928 has the same amazing screen as the 920, only it's AMOLED (which makes me jealous, lol). You also have much better support when you go Nokia, plus all the great exclusive apps. The benefits are endless. You won't be disappointed.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
If you can, as others have stated, go to the store and actually look at both, thats the best way to make the decision. I have the 8X from Verizon and am loving it, that said, if I could change my choice, I now think I may have got the L928. The only reason for me being that I dont think that htc is, or will be offering the support that you can get with Nokia. They both offer really good things and a few not so good things. I think the 8X is great, but as I said, I think I would go with the 928 if I had it to do over. Either one you will love, Im sure.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I had a 8X about 4 months before going to a 928.

Yea, I agree with some of these posts but, The 8X is a very nice phone, a lot less bugs than the 928 (still after GDR2 get screen stops responding time to time with all internet connections failing). If you like Music, the 8X is a better phone for music(has a amp) and it has a FM radio that the 928 does not(GDR2).

The camera is better on the 928 but, in night shots is where the 928 shines but, on day shots (AKA very good light), it's very close, in fact it would be hard to tell the difference between the two, I have kids and take a lot of pictures, I have seen them both and can honestly say that.

In the hand, The 8X feels better, the buttons are inset a little so some people dont like it but, I LOVED that over the 928 buttons at least once a day my phone is doing something in my pocket because a button got pushed, never had that issue with the 8X. It was a great design aspect for this, even tho some people cant get used to it.

I changed over due to the 8X only having 16gb and I was always running out of space (something to think about if you take music with you or a lot of games/apps), The 928 has 32gb of space and for me that made a big difference.

With all this being said, with the bugs on the 928, the lack of a FM radio, I was actually thinking about selling my 928 and going back to a 8X till the new models come out in fall. There is a bunch of exclusive apps on Nokia but, even when I got the 928, not one I was interested in but, everyone will have their thoughts here.

So, when looking, take a good look at the 8X, it's not a bad phone at all, and worth taking a look over before commiting to a 2 year contract...

Edit: And if your talking about support, Nokia's support is nightmare, a few people have posted that they would call back and never do. I have delt with HTC a few times over the years (I have had HTC phones for years) and never a problem. I would not say Nokia is THAT much better on support.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
David, lets be fair, when you had an 8x you complained about it a lot (storage primarily) and when you got the 928 you complained about no micro SD card until you found out that FM radio wasn't present and you're upsetand now you're thinking about going back to the 8x. You are very hard to please.

The reason the 928 can feel buggier at times is that Nokia actually supports the 928 and pushes new capabilities to it while HTC doesn't do anything for theirs.

Nokia customer support is awesome, I have barely heard of anyone having a problem, and if it is serious enough, their CEO even responds to emails.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
David, lets be fair, when you had an 8x you complained about it a lot (storage primarily) and when you got the 928 you complained about no micro SD card until you found out that FM radio wasn't present and you're upsetand now you're thinking about going back to the 8x. You are very hard to please.

The reason the 928 can feel buggier at times is that Nokia actually supports the 928 and pushes new capabilities to it while HTC doesn't do anything for theirs.

Nokia customer support is awesome, I have barely heard of anyone having a problem, and if it is serious enough, their CEO even responds to emails.

I had to reply to this one...

Yep, I don't sign a 2 year contracts on devices, I pay full price for these devices, never mind I am a little passionate about my devices. I have every right to complain about them. People should have the right to ***** about devices that they spend big money on and don't get what they pay for.

. Yep, I still will say, 16gb is not enough for me, 32gb is better but, does not allow me to carry a lot of music/videos with me like I would, so yes, am still disappointed in the feature set of both devices. To be fair on this side, I didn't complain about the MicroSD storage after getting it.

I guess everyone will have their thoughts here. The 928 is a very buggy phone in my eyes, I live on this thing, carry it every place I go and do everything with it. Last night, trying to go back on a text message, the phone froze up AGAIN (I could be doing a bunch of different things, happens 2-3 times a week), it needed a soft reset to do anything, YESTERDAY, the touch screen stopped responding (I could do nothing with the phone accept use the physical buttons, caused me to miss a call), and 3 days ago, It loss total network connections I was on 4G and Wi-Fi at the time, I went to check email, No access, tried other things, No internet, Needing a reboot to get it back and running.

Truth be told, this is the buggiest phone I have every owned that I remember, even worse that the Touch Pro 2 I had a long while ago. Never had any of these issues with the 8X.

Nokia pushes more new capabilities than HTC does ? Really ? Then that is the reason why the Verizon 8X got a FM radio and this "flagship" 928 did not ? Really ? Yea, Nokia gets some exclusive apps but, when I use my phone, 90% of the time I use the OS or some non exclusive apps, it STILL is not a big idea to me.

Nokia customer service is AWSOME ? Really ? have you done any reading, these are people with the 928, never mind all the threads in other forums ?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/238693-nokia-customer-service.html

I have had a few problems with them, In FACT, I am waiting to hear from Customer service and know what ? I don't think I will. Is there that much a problem with the support staff that you NEED to contact the CEO of a company to get an issue resolved ? Then you sit there and say that their support is awesome ? I guess you need to refine what your guide lines "awesome support" is.

I know we have a lot of Nokia fanboys here, just like the iSheep and there is nothing wrong with you being passionate about a product you own, Not at all but, when your being blind to issues that are there it could be come a problem. Just like a Android fan or a iPhone fan...

With my dislike for the space on the 8X, I still feel that IS more of a solid phone than the 928 and I will still stand by that

Spyro543

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Blargh...right when I had made a decision, you bring up some good points about the 8X...I think that 16 gb storage would be more than enough for me, I have tons of apps and music on my 16 gb iPad, and I still have 4.8 gb left. I think that the only way for me to really decide would be for me to actually go to the Verizon store and try them out.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't trying to be offensive, just wanted the OP to realize you're never really happy with your phone. The 928 can be buggy, but its really not that bad (I have 2 from two different batches that were bought 2 months apart). I'd also take a company that is pushing features (and no, I don't really consider fm radio much of a feature - though it should be in there) than one that barely supports their phone.

My personal experience with Nokia is that they have great service. People never come online to praise companies, only to b**** about them.

I am definitely no fan boy, though I mostly prefer Microsoft products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)