Live tiles no longer update after Amber

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

I've tried this method from this link but still does not work. I have a few apps that when I launch them I get an error message stating that the app can not register with Mircosoft Push server or cannot register for push at this time, please try again later. This keeps eventually happening to me and the only way to clear it up is to do a factory reset. Has anyone been able to successfully clear these issues without having to do a full reset? It's really starting to drive me crazy. I have a Lumia 1020 with GD2.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
My live tiles were not working, I am not on gdr2. But what did finally work for me is uninstalling various apps I don't use, specifically those listed in background tasks under advanced. I think there is a limit on those apps before it stops working. I had tried everything else and was waiting for att to release gdr2 to see if that would fix it before doing hard reset. This worked for me, and now I am still waiting for gdr2.

My live tiles no longer update after Amber. I have done everything but a hard reset. Any insight on this?

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
My live tiles were not working, I am not on gdr2. But what did finally work for me is uninstalling various apps I don't use, specifically those listed in background tasks under advanced. I think there is a limit on those apps before it stops working. I had tried everything else and was waiting for att to release gdr2 to see if that would fix it before doing hard reset. This worked for me, and now I am still waiting for gdr2.

I've tried this as well. I uninstalled enough apps so there were less than 15 apps under the advanced section of background tasks with no luck. Maybe, I haven't found that one App that's a culprit of it all. But the funny thing is there are some apps that use Live Tiles and need to register to Microsofts Push Notification server but don't show up on that background tasks list, even in the advanced section. I even started with the most recently installed apps and still no luck. I wish there was some way to just reset all apps from the Microsofts Push server without having to do a factory reset.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
A few of us had an issue and it was a Nokia app that seemed to be the culprit. App Social. After uninstalling and rebooting my live tiles started working again. It was driving me nuts.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
A few of us had an issue and it was a Nokia app that seemed to be the culprit. App Social. After uninstalling and rebooting my live tiles started working again. It was driving me nuts.

I don't have App Social installed but I will try other Nokia apps. I stopped using the Nokia beta apps because of this reason.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After the GDR2, it took about a day or two before I saw my tiles stop updating. The tile that I cared most was the Weather Channel one so I went to the settings to turn off the background task and then put a check where it will re-enable background task upon opening the app. Then I did the down volume + power button reboot and the tile works again. Not sure if that will work for everyone but it seemed to do it for me. I do have App Social installed.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
It is possible an app is the cause, but I am not sure. Nokia's active fitness app may have been it, it seemed to start after I installed that but that could be just coincidence.

I've tried this as well. I uninstalled enough apps so there were less than 15 apps under the advanced section of background tasks with no luck. Maybe, I haven't found that one App that's a culprit of it all. But the funny thing is there are some apps that use Live Tiles and need to register to Microsofts Push Notification server but don't show up on that background tasks list, even in the advanced section. I even started with the most recently installed apps and still no luck. I wish there was some way to just reset all apps from the Microsofts Push server without having to do a factory reset.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
After the GDR2, it took about a day or two before I saw my tiles stop updating. The tile that I cared most was the Weather Channel one so I went to the settings to turn off the background task and then put a check where it will re-enable background task upon opening the app. Then I did the down volume + power button reboot and the tile works again. Not sure if that will work for everyone but it seemed to do it for me. I do have App Social installed.

I was able to go about a week after restoring my device before all this started happening again. The thing is there are a few apps were I get the error message about not being able to contact the Push server and none of those apps show up in the Background Tasks section and also in the Advanced section. ESPN ScoreCenter (Not Nokia ESPN Hub), GroupMe, Good For Enterprise just to name a few. So, shutting those down is not even an option and I've tried uninstalling them and re-installing. It's REALLY making me HATE WP8. :eck:

ti-ta-topf

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my lumia 920 until yesterday. I tried everything exept a hardreset but nothing worked. Then I unistalled the burton app (which got an update last week) and did a reboot. Now it?s working like a charm again.

bjeans

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
My live tiles stopped working last night. I wondered if it had anything to do with using Photo Beamer for the first time, since that was the only new or different activity. Whether it did or not, a soft re-set fixed it.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Just power off your phone and and then turn it back on. No soft reset, just a normal one. Works for me every time.

I wish it were that easy as I've tried that plenty of times. ESPN Scorecenter still won't let me assign a live tile because it fails to contact the MS Push Server and I get the pop up errors on other apps a well. And yes I've reinstalled the apps. I've given up and just moved back to my S4 Active as my primary device. WP8 has too many short comings with the OS that I tried to deal with them for a month but this was the last straw. I hope GDR3 or 8.1 makes WP8 more tolerable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro