Not Only New to 928! 1st Smartphone...Noo...Yes!

ArsenalofDoom

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello All!

I've decided to actually join the new Millennium and got a WP8 smartphone, choose the 928 after some research. (had a basic Samsung Gleam that croaked after 5 yrs?)

My first question:
Do I have to be wary, (security issue), of apps that require: camera; phone identity, owner identity; video and still capture; location services; photo,music and video libraries,data services; movement & directional sensor, etc. etc. etc.

Do the majority of Apps want some/all that info?

Are there 928 specific Apps I should be aware of, or wait for, or just download any WP8 Apps?

Cheers,
Rafa

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Great to see another user picking up Windows Phone. You are always welcome to post and comment in the forums.

Windows Phone is a very secure platform compared to others US government says Android is a malware magnet thanks to OS fragmentation | The Verge

To answer your first question - Yes, many apps require certain permissions to work. For example a Photo Editing app might require permission to use your camera.

However that does not mean you don't check everything.
App reviews should be your first check.
Next. suppose you are downloading a flashlight app and it asks for permission to your phone identity which it doesn't require you should avoid it. It is true with any platform, it is better if you are informed as to what permissions that app requires and check if it needs them.

With that said once you verify the reviews and permissions you are pretty much good to go IMO.

I don't think there are any 928 specific apps, but you can get all the Nokia specific apps to your 928.

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I went from blackberry to iPhone (got out my contract after 15 months) and have had the Lumia 928 for almost 2 weeks now. I Love It!

Since I have Win 8 on my laptop, the live tiles come naturally to me. Its so easy to use and while I miss certain things in the iPhone, they are not deal busters. The Nokia apps are awesome!
The phone itself just rocks! My new case comes in any day and it was recommended on this site to get the Poetic Atmosphere Case in Silver, which I hear looks stunning.
MS Office, Skydrive, camera, live tiles......Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

ArsenalofDoom

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the weIcome!
Are there any Apps you all highly recommend?
......................................................................................
I didn't want to walk out of Verizon without protection, Black 928, blue silicone case (which I don't like that much, but Incipio feather's border didn't protrude enough to protect screen face-down & no Otterbox at store (overkill?), and 3 pack of screen protectors. Screen protector installed by sales assistant (perfectly done!), and safe in TPU? case. Poetic Atmosphere looks great, will check into getting one. Maybe I could get away with returning the TPU case and get me $20 back.

Ciao,
Rafa

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the weIcome!
......................................................................................
I didn't want to walk out of Verizon without protection, Black 928, blue silicone case (which I don't like that much, but Incipio feather's border didn't protrude enough to protect screen face-down & no Otterbox at store (overkill?), and 3 pack of screen protectors. Screen protector installed by sales assistant (perfectly done!), and safe in TPU? case. Poetic Atmosphere looks great, will check into getting one. Maybe I could get away with returning the TPU case and get me $20 back.

Ciao,
Rafa

I think this thread should help http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/176887-what-your-top-10-apps.html

If you read the posts you will get an idea of the best apps available on windows phone.

ArsenalofDoom

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the top ten Apps Link!

I've checked for updates the normal route: settings - phone update = up to date...:cool:

BUT needed to search after and manually update::confused:
storage check, audio, display + touch, accessories, extras + info, network+, access point, Nokia account, HERE "stuff".(anything I missed?)

Will I have to hunt and peck updates in perpetuity?:devil:

Is there a master Nokia QR code update list somewhere or here with latest and greatest updates? (Sticky?)

Thanks,
Rafa

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I really like Hey DJ (voice controlled music), Easy Connect (blue tooth, airplane mode, wifi and cellular shortcut), Bloomberg and Weave news readers, MyStocks, Wordament (Game), All the Nokia Here Apps (Drive, City Lens, Maps, Transit) - awesome navigation, Photofunia and Fotor and Nokia Cinemagraph for photos.

Thanks for the weIcome!

Ciao,
Rafa

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Updates will be pushed through to your store app. You may also want to install Lumia Pusher

I've checked for updates the normal route: settings - phone update = up to date...:cool:

storage check, audio, display + touch, accessories, extras + info, network+, access point, Nokia account, HERE "stuff".(anything I missed?)

Is there a master Nokia QR code update list somewhere or here with latest and greatest updates? (Sticky?)

Thanks,
Rafa

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,
Rafa
Welcome! The updates will come, and if you pin the store tile you'll see it is a live tile with number of updates. If you don't, you'll see the number of updates when you open it. They don't always come right away, and particularly the Nokia Systems apps take time to update, even after a hard reset when you'd had them before. Lumia Pusher is one app that gives you links to all the Nokia apps, though I think I recall reading that they pulled it, but there are a couple third party apps that do the same thing (can't think of names ATM).

You're not coming from another smartphone platform, so you hopefully don't feel the need to manage apps as is required on some other robotic platform in order to maintain some sense of responsiveness, but should you wish to learn more about how your phone does things in the background, check out this thread:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...es-why-does-x-app-use-location-media-etc.html

And while we're at it, here's a good primer on photography:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/guides-tips-tricks-how-tos/226625-so-you-want-take-better-pictures-%5Bguide%5D.html

Next. suppose you are downloading a flashlight app and it asks for permission to your phone identity which it doesn't require you should avoid it. It is true with any platform, it is better if you are informed as to what permissions that app requires and check if it needs them.
I wouldn't quite go so far as to make this broad a statement. The reason is that even if the developer isn't using the phone identity, the ad network that he uses to make his money on the app that you got free probably is. In fact, Microsoft's own ad network goes even further and requires User Identity (which apparently is a broad demographic). The phone identity makes sense to me, as they probably use it to keep from sending the same ad to the same phone too many times.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...es-why-does-x-app-use-location-media-etc.html

ArsenalofDoom

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your quick replies!
Patience, (as far as updates are concerned), is not a virtue that I yet exhibitl.
HopMedic, thank for the in depth response, if you think of the Lumia Pusher type App name, please let me know.
Will look at the wealth of info you've all posted, it may take awhile.

Had found a listing on ebay for the Poetic Atmosphere case yesterday for $8.95 buy-it-now, looked today it's $16, doh:shocked:! He who hesitates...

Cheers,
Rafa

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I like the Atmosphere. I have a skin on my phone from Decal Girl, and the Atmosphere allows you to see the skin with just a little distortion through the frosted case. Protection AND customization. A good combination. Myself, I'm sporting this one:
nl28-launch.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3