Camera Problem?

gallowbouy

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So I'm not sure if this is a camera issue with the phone or I just don't know how to use it properly but when holding the phone horizontally and taking a picture the far left side of the photo almost always is out of focus whereas the right side of the image stays sharp and in focus.

I've tried using different apps and manual focus using pro cam and still always the same issue. I've had other phones in the past and the whole picture is in focus and I really like the quality of this camera of what is in focus but the fact the the whole picture is not in focus is whats bothering me.

I was wondering if anyone new a way to keep the whole photo in focus or if this is just something that just happens when this phone takes pictures, any help would be appreciated greatly.

Here are some pics to show you what I'm talking about.

WP_20130820_018.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130820_096.jpg
    WP_20130820_096.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 18

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I am blind but I'm not seeing it. Maybe slightly on the backyard pick but....

I have never heard of this issue. I would exchange the phone or get it repaired if it really bothers you.

gallowbouy

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It starts right around the back of the car in the first pick and on the second it just seems like there is better detail on the right.......It's a new phone less than 14 days and never dropped so either defective or the way its is or I'm doing something wrong......or I'm crazy.

heres a pic from an htc thunderbolt (should be a much worse camera phone) on focusing the entire pic for comparison and the next is 928 (not taken in exact same place but close and taken a year apart so may be a little hard for comparison but you should still be able to see the difference)
IMG_20120519_174926.jpg
WP_20130825_050.jpg

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to help but I just don't see it! lol If it is more obvious while viewing it on your phone, I would go do an exchange since you should be within a return range.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't think I'm really seeing it either, sorry buddy.

Also, when you mentioned the Thunderbolt as being able to focus all of the objects in the scene better collectively, my immediate thought was that it might be a function of the smaller aperture. The smaller the aperture (greater the f/ number), the greater the depth of field. This means that a smaller aperture, like those that you will find in older phones, will do a better job of keeping all of the objects in the image sharp and in focus, be they close or far. Sometimes this is desired, sometime it is not.

The Lumia 928, and most modern smartphones, have large apertures (lower f/ number) to allow in more light. By having a large, fixed aperture, the phone's depth of field will be limited as well. That's why the Nokia 928 is outstanding when it comes to Macro shots and bokeh effects in general, but it may also be a factor in the problem you are seeing with not all parts of the image having equal sharpness.

Anyway, I'm no pro photographer (or even amateur for that matter), but that would be my guess at an explanation.

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
It's very very subtle, but I think I see it, especially in your first pic of the front yard. The blades of grass don't seem as sharp on the left hand side of the picture along with that large tree. The best I can figure is the lenses in the camera tilted ever so slightly so it has differing focus laterally. This would be a hardware defect and not anything you're going to be able to correct with software so your best bet is to get a warranty replacement.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If I go full size with the pic, I definitely see it. In the first pic, you can see it on the tree on the left (part of that could be motion blur, but I don't see it in the tree on the right), and if you look at the power line on the left vs right, it jumps out, but other details as well (compare the lines on the houses). Since the two sides are on the same focal plane, they should be equally in or out of focus.

In the second pic, it's hard to judge, since you took the picture of the fence at an angle, so it's not all on one focal plane, the focal plane being parallel to the image sensor. In order to compare the focus of the two sides of the picture, objects on both sides need to be the same distance from the sensor. Ideally, stand in the middle of the fence, with the phone such that the sensor is on a parallel plane to the fence.

Regardless of the second picture, though, the first picture clearly has you standing close enough to the center between the two houses, and the phone is close enough to parallel to the objects I'm comparing to judge that there is a problem. Myself, I'd swap the phone out.

And no, I've not seen this before with the 928. Congratulations - you may very well be the first.

It may be a good idea to print out images in case they hesitate to swap for you. And if you show them images in the phone, rather than print, use HD Photo Viewer, since the stock camera app compresses the images. It's worth the buck.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
It is very subtle. It would be easier to see if you had very similar subject matter on the left and right (color, patterns, lighting, etc) I'm sure you know that if you tap the screen to take a shot, it focuses on the area you tapped. Is it possible that you are tapping the right side of the screen to take a shot?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In the first pic, which side he tapped wouldn't make a difference. Read my post above and realize that the two sides are on the same focal plane.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes