Ugh Verizon is making me dislike my 928 lol

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
UGHH. I am annoyed with Verizon Majorly.....

My apologies for whining or b*tching :D Trust me, I don't do it often(I kind of do lol).

Anyway, today was supposed to be a semi-fun day of moving in for college into the dorms and what not. My mom and I went to Verizon to exchange my phone since my dad more or less wanted to sort of dictate the moving process(Fine by me...i didn't have to move anything except a box of sheets lol). So my mother and roommate and I went to the local verizon(where i ordered the phone originally).

I went into explain my issue with the mic where people are having a hard time hearing me talk...My boyfriend, My friends, My grandmother, and mother all had issues where i sound Cloudy or like i am underwater or muffled. Different carriers, even a landline.

So i let them know about that. I also said it bugged me that the Windows button was glitchy looking for a phone i've only had a week. I wanted to exchange it for a new model within my 14 days.

Well, he had to go through a process of Factory Resetting it and giving me a new sim card. I was like okay cool and he did he the reset and traded the sim card out. To him and his "manager"(a clueless woman who had an attitude problem) that seemed to fix the issues even though i told him the mic issue wasn't constant...it happened sporadically and randomly. I had even showed him the start button...somehow after the factory reset, the start button appeared to be working fine.

I still wanted to exchange because i was worried that If it happens again, I'll need to exchange and I won't be able to easily get to the Verizon store(My car won't be here till second week of Septemeber aka past my 14 days). He and his managed refused to do the exchange for me since it appeared the factory reset and sim card fixed the issues.

Okay...I was still concerned but it did appear to be working fine. Not 2 minutes later as we are walking out the store and getting into my mom's car does the phone just freeze randomly...I was just flicking though the start screen so i was like okay I want to do an exchange.

I had to get ANOTHER rep who was pretty polite and sociable unlike the moronic male rep and his manager. She saw the phone was frozen(the touch screen wouldn't work, camera would though) and she called technical.

About 20 mins later she comes back and she is like the software on the phone is up to date and it should have fixed the freezing problem. I'm like...Why is it freezing then? ANd she's like well you can take it hom and if it gives you any issues you can come back tomorrow(lady, gas is not Cheap....this isn't the 40s where gas is a freaking dime. Gas is like 4 dollars.). She said they had a protocol to follow so i couldn't exchange it for another White Lumia 928.

So i had a thought...i said say I wanted to exchange it for a Black Lumia 928(and pay the restocking fee) or get a Droid or Iphone.
She was like yeah you could do that but you'd have to pay a restocking fee.

Can someone explain to me why i can't exchange my 928 for the same model(After proving in store the issues) but i can exchange my 928 for an entirely different phone and OS(with a restocking fee).
Maybe the heat is getting to me and i am a bit confused but that sounds like utter bull to me.

So i have the same 928 i had to begin with....The windows button is still screwed up looking. I am hoping the phone mic is fixed and it was an issue with the sim card(though that doesn't make sense...how can i complete calls and hear them fine but they can't hear me?) and i hope that the phone doesn't freeze again(though that is the fourth time in a week of owning it that it froze. Never happened with any of my Lumias....)

But i have never had any issues with exchanging a phone within the money back guarantee...You tell them you have a problem and they don't try and tell you that you can't exchange it. They allow you to make your one exchange and that be that. But i can't exchange the white lumia for another white one...but i can exchange it for a Black Lumia, An iphone a droid or whatever other phone i want?

Something is a bit off there.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, Verizon has terrible customer service at their stores. I have had some success dealing with reps over the phone or chatting on line, but the stores are awful. I don't think it is limited to Verizon either. I hear similar stories about AT&T and Sprint. That is the one thing I will say about buying an iPhone. My whole family uses Apple products and any issue that anyone has had was handled at the Apple store immediately. I went with my mother in law when her iPhone was acting up and they replaced it without question. In and out in 30 minutes. All she had to do was make an appointment with them before we went.

Unfortunately, you probably don't have any other options other than dealing with the idiots at Verizon. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Call customer service troubleshoot with them and they will hold u a phone @ the store for u to exchange. The rep @ the store will do nothing bit process the claim.

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Trying another store might help. Calling definitely will, as MV has expressed, well it has for me in the past.
I had issues with a Storm, way back when,,lol, and the store said they didn't have any. Soon as I got back home I called, went through the issues and they agreed I needed a new one and told me to go to my local store and do the exchange. Told them I was just there and I was told they didn't have any. The rep called the same store and found out they had 10 in stock and they will hold one for me, went back to the store and got my new phone, the manager was waiting for me ;). Now in the time it took me to get back to the store, they had 2 left and one was mine.(high demand at the time)
Stores usually don't like doing exchanges because it looses money for them, especially when your dealing with high demand and low inventory. Not so much on the devices themselves but on new and renewed contracts.
e.g. You need to exchange your phone, they only have 2 left. The 928 has been selling like hot cakes. They give you your exchange, they loose a sale and commission on a new contract.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is a Verizon thing. I think that AT&T and T-Mobile would do about the same. Replicate the issue in front of them and you win. That's the nature of the beast.

That being said, this is why I will be buying all of my phones at the Microsoft Store.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had good results calling customer service on the phone. If I have a phone issue I usually don't even bother going to the store.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but i replicated the issue in front of them and they still refused to exchange it :p

I guess I will go back and exchange it again tomorrow.

What bugs me is
1. After doing the factory reset the "Windows Button glitch' seemingly disappeared and the mic issues appeared fine, people could hear me just fine.....2 hours later the windows button glitch reappeared and earlier i was at home doing some packing and the issue with people saying I am fading in and out. reappeared again.

which makes me wonder is it a Mic issue or a network issue...though my mother has Verizon and while her coverage isn't the best she is still able to talk on it.

Sigh...Tomorrow i am going to go the store since i got it from there and I refuse to leave with this 928.
Either I'll have another 928 in hand(or another phone) OR i'll just cancel it and head right over next door to t-mobile and get a 925. Ironically t-mobile seems to work better for me than Verizon but i jut didn't want 16 GB vs 32 GB plus I read Lumia 925's brick themselves randonly.

Ugh annoying
I don't think this is a Verizon thing. I think that AT&T and T-Mobile would do about the same. Replicate the issue in front of them and you win. That's the nature of the beast.

That being said, this is why I will be buying all of my phones at the Microsoft Store.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a problem, but I've always called customer service and had then out a replacement on hold for me at the store.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon store support is a luck of the draw when it comes to getting a phone swapped out. This comes down to the manager at the site who's main interest is sales and making a profit by selling more phones, they are never going to "push" to give a new phone that could be sold.

Call Verizon customer service, explain the problem, let them do some phone troubleshooting, if they see a problem, they will next day you a replacement device, just swap your SIM to the new device and drop the old one in the box and ship out within 10 days. It's a very simple process, your not with out a phone and they do replace the device.

It's one option that might help your problem.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Any other Verizon stores to try? I went to one in our mall yesterday because my external speaker is severely distorted. I'm well outside the 14 day period. I asked if this was a warranty issue given this seemed like a manufacturer defect (as does yours). No problems they ordered me another one, will be on Wednesday.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

This right here. Replicated my blotchy screen issue, and they exchanged it with no difficulty. Second time it happened was a bit annoying since the rep didn't really care, but I talked him into exchanging it for a 3rd device. TMO is hit and miss for me. And that's just sticking to one store. Right now I'm not sure what would happen if I were to get warranty work done since I'm using an EOL'd device. Remember. The grass is greener on the other side.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What a crap experince. I think we all understand bad devices happen. Bad customer service is a choice by your area store.

I am in favor of you calling customer service first. usually, they have a check list. Once you show you have been through this song and dance, they will exchange your phone. I hope you stick with WP. We would miss you around here on WPC.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but i replicated the issue in front of them and they still refused to exchange it :p

I guess I will go back and exchange it again tomorrow.

What bugs me is
1. After doing the factory reset the "Windows Button glitch' seemingly disappeared and the mic issues appeared fine, people could hear me just fine.....2 hours later the windows button glitch reappeared and earlier i was at home doing some packing and the issue with people saying I am fading in and out. reappeared again.

which makes me wonder is it a Mic issue or a network issue...though my mother has Verizon and while her coverage isn't the best she is still able to talk on it.

Sigh...Tomorrow i am going to go the store since i got it from there and I refuse to leave with this 928.
Either I'll have another 928 in hand(or another phone) OR i'll just cancel it and head right over next door to t-mobile and get a 925. Ironically t-mobile seems to work better for me than Verizon but i jut didn't want 16 GB vs 32 GB plus I read Lumia 925's brick themselves randonly.

Ugh annoying

Can you remind us what you're talking about when you say "Windows button glitch"? I think you mentioned it in another thread, but I don't feel like digging ;)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Can you remind us what you're talking about when you say "Windows button glitch"? I think you mentioned it in another thread, but I don't feel like digging ;)
lazy jk lol
Basically where the button is sort of blotchy. I'm not sure how to describe it.it basically looks as if someone scratched part of it off.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that AT&T and T-Mobile would do about the same.

As far as my personal experiences are concerned, I'm an AT&T customer and multiple AT&T stores (La Habra, CA; Irvine, CA; Lake Forest, CA) have gone out of their way, above and beyond to help me out. I have exchanged phone after phone (when WP8 was first released I went from a 920 to an 8X to an 820) and switched from iPhone to Windows Phone so many times on a grandfathered unlimited plan without an issue.

This is why I stay with AT&T.

It could be that my company has a corporate account with AT&T and I have the corporate FAN on my personal account. But hey, whatever works. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is just one of the reasons that I will not buy a phone from Verizon again. I am glad to have purchased my 928 at a Microsoft Store. When I had defects, I walked into the store, told them that I had already done a hard reset (I'm a developer, and I used to do troubleshooting, so I knew this would be required, and I really had done it - more than once, even). They took the phone, and handed me a new 928.

I'd purchased the MS insurance, so when I cracked my screen, I walked in, handed them the phone and $50, and they handed me a new in the box 928. If I'd used Verizon's insurance, it would have been a $100 deductible and I'd have gotten a refurb in the mail.

I'm fortunate to have a MS store about an hour away, and to me it's worth the drive. I realize that not everyone has one nearby, but if you do, I'd recommend purchasing from there.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is just one of the reasons that I will not buy a phone from Verizon again. I am glad to have purchased my 928 at a Microsoft Store. When I had defects, I walked into the store, told them that I had already done a hard reset (I'm a developer, and I used to do troubleshooting, so I knew this would be required, and I really had done it - more than once, even). They took the phone, and handed me a new 928.

I'd purchased the MS insurance, so when I cracked my screen, I walked in, handed them the phone and $50, and they handed me a new in the box 928. If I'd used Verizon's insurance, it would have been a $100 deductible and I'd have gotten a refurb in the mail.

I'm fortunate to have a MS store about an hour away, and to me it's worth the drive. I realize that not everyone has one nearby, but if you do, I'd recommend purchasing from there.

I would be more than happy to purchase from a Microsoft store if there were any near me. There are 3 that are all about 2-3 hours away.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
How much is insurance at a Microsoft store? Does it extend the warranty? For a $50 deductible I would be glad to drive the two hours to the nearest store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion