10-05-2013 03:07 PM
71 123
tools
    My thoughts: Use it for its intended purpose. Buy phone apps. Support phone app developers who can be incentivized to make more phone apps.
    jleebiker likes this.
    09-17-2013 08:10 AM
    Ok if this is wp8 only what are the apps that you guys recommend buying? I only have 6gb left but that's another problem

If it can be used with rt what do you recommend? Thinking about halo but I have it for the phone already
    09-17-2013 11:51 AM
    I just really cant find anymore apps that i want to buy. I've spent $20 all apps except for HALO. + money doesnt grow on trees, If i can use it for something i was going to spend money on anyway id rather save the cash.

From what i've seen, GTA V could be released on demand on 9/27/13
    09-17-2013 12:13 PM
    I love when people complain about the price of a $1-$5 app (most of them), yet they'll pay $50, $60, $70, sometimes hundreds, per month, for a phone with a data plan. Often they're the ones who wants apps to all be free, and then they want the ads to be gone.

/S
    jleebiker likes this.
    09-17-2013 02:36 PM
    I have no problem spending money on apps, like i said. I dont see any that i dont already have that i want. I'm not going to spend money on things i dont want/need, and i usually dont hesitate to buy an app i want.
    09-17-2013 02:48 PM
    If you don't redeem the card on your Microsoft account the card will expire on 9/29/2013. But it should not expire once the card is redeemed. Should sit in your account till it is used up. In other words, in 12 days if you have a card that you have not entered, it will be no good.
    MobileVortex likes this.
    09-17-2013 08:40 PM
    If you don't redeem the card on your Microsoft account the card will expire on 9/29/2013. But it should not expire once the card is redeemed. Should sit in your account till it is used up. In other words, in 12 days if you have a card that you have not entered, it will be no good.
    On that page the fine print says this:
    "Claim your code by July 7, 2013. Code must be redeemed on your Windows Phone in the Wallet application by September 29, 2013. Unused promotional gift code funds will also expire on September 29, 2013. See Terms & Conditions for details."
    So, you have to claim it by July 7th, and redeem it by September 29th. We all agree on that. But then you say that unused funds will not expired, but the fine print implies that it does expire: "Unused promotional gift code funds will also expire on September 29, 2013". That is why most people in this thread assume they'll lose any remaining funds if not spent by the end of that day. However, if you log into your account on commerce.microsoft.com you will see that the funds are listed as having no expiration, which supports your claim, but contradicts the fine print on the page you linked. Thus, we are all confused.

I have no problem spending this money on apps: and I've already done that. Bought tons of apps and games. The problem is that my wife doesn't care at all about apps or games so she has a huge remaining balance that she could slowly use up but it would take a year (as new apps are being released). There is no point in her buying a bunch of apps she doesn't need or like, so it would make sense for her to hold onto the money and spend it at her own pace. On the other hand, if the money really does expire on the 29th of this month, then she'd be better off spending it (which would also benefit developers, rather than Microsoft just reclaiming the money).
    MobileVortex likes this.
    09-18-2013 12:25 AM
    On that page the fine print says this:
    "Claim your code by July 7, 2013. Code must be redeemed on your Windows Phone in the Wallet application by September 29, 2013. Unused promotional gift code funds will also expire on September 29, 2013. See Terms & Conditions for details."
    So, you have to claim it by July 7th, and redeem it by September 29th. We all agree on that. But then you say that unused funds will not expired, but the fine print implies that it does expire: "Unused promotional gift code funds will also expire on September 29, 2013". That is why most people in this thread assume they'll lose any remaining funds if not spent by the end of that day. However, if you log into your account on commerce.microsoft.com you will see that the funds are listed as having no expiration, which supports your claim, but contradicts the fine print on the page you linked. Thus, we are all confused.

I have no problem spending this money on apps: and I've already done that. Bought tons of apps and games. The problem is that my wife doesn't care at all about apps or games so she has a huge remaining balance that she could slowly use up but it would take a year (as new apps are being released). There is no point in her buying a bunch of apps she doesn't need or like, so it would make sense for her to hold onto the money and spend it at her own pace. On the other hand, if the money really does expire on the 29th of this month, then she'd be better off spending it (which would also benefit developers, rather than Microsoft just reclaiming the money).

HAHA thanks for reading for me. That is clearly what it states if you dont use the code by the 29th it will be lost. If you have redeemed the code you are good. Reading is hard.

+1 to you sir.
    09-18-2013 09:19 AM
    I read it as the code is what expires on the 29th if not redeemed. The funds themselves do not expire if redeemed, but expire on unused cards.
    MobileVortex likes this.
    09-18-2013 09:19 AM
    It doesn't say, "Unused gift codes will expire," it says "Unused gift code FUNDS will expire."

English is hard.
    09-18-2013 12:24 PM
    I got an email from Microsoft that says it expires on the 28th not 29th. I just spent all but $0.04. I purchased EVERY angry birds lol. I wish there were more like geoDefense and geoDefense swarm those games are awesome.
    09-19-2013 12:45 PM
    yep time for me to start spending. I haven't even used it yet, I keep accidentally charging my debit card instead of the promotion card...
    09-19-2013 12:52 PM
    I got an email from Microsoft that says it expires on the 28th not 29th. I just spent all but $0.04. I purchased EVERY angry birds lol. I wish there were more like geoDefense and geoDefense swarm those games are awesome.
    Did you e-mail microsoft asking them when its going to expire? I really have a hard time believing that the funds will expire. Especially since billing.microsoft.com shows that it wont.
    09-19-2013 02:13 PM
    Did you e-mail microsoft asking them when its going to expire? I really have a hard time believing that the funds will expire. Especially since billing.microsoft.com shows that it wont.
    No it was an automated email.
    09-19-2013 02:16 PM
    Hmm i haven't received anything on any of the e-mails i used to get the codes.... Do you have an x-box and have you converted your MS points to the Microsoft account? Maybe that process changed the terms of the funds.
    09-19-2013 05:48 PM
    No it was an automated email.
    This is odd. I haven't received an email either. I contacted them directly yesterday, explained the discrepancy between the ePrize promotion webpage (which says unused promotional funds expire on the 29th) and my account page on commerce.microsoft.com where it shows they won't expire. The representative agreed that it was ambiguous and instructed me to contact ePrize directly (the company that runs the promotion). I emailed them and got an automated response, so I called them as well. After waiting on hold for 59 minutes for them to answer (no joke), I explained the situation and the lady said that she didn't know the answer and that I should contact Verizon. I contacted Verizon and got bounced around to pretty much every department: not one person knew what I was talking about (i.e., not only did they not know the answer, none of them had even heard of the promotion). So, they bounced me back to Microsoft since the funds are tied to my Microsoft account. So, I contacted Microsoft again today and explained the entire thing again, how I contacted every party involved (Microsoft, ePrize, and Verizon) and how not one of them knew the answer to the question. They guy said sorry for the confusion, but to play it safe, it would be wiser to adhere to the fine print posted on the ePrize promotional website (i.e., Microsoft's advice is to spend the money before the 29th).

Now, in my opinion, unless the funds are set to expire automatically, they're not going to expire because literally no one at Microsoft, ePrize, or Verizon know anything about this promotion or, if they do, they certainly don't care about it anymore. So, there will be no person on the 29th manually flipping a switch and deleting our funds. That said, there is a chance that, when originally setting up this promotion back in May, that they included some code that automatically deletes the funds on the 29th. This seems quite possible given that user berty6294 said he received an automated email from Microsoft stating so. What is odd, though, is that the rest of us didn't receive that email. If the funds do get deleted, my guess is that it will be a huge pain in the *** to lobby to get them back, which may not be possible at all because they could easily say the terms of service explicitly state that funds expire on the 29th.

Well, I sure am glad I spent 5 hours total on hold between 3 companies and didn't get this sorted out. I could've got a job for $5 per hour and worked those same 5 hours and gotten the same $25 total. Ugh.
    09-19-2013 06:32 PM
    Wait, what's everyone talking about?
    09-19-2013 08:37 PM
    Wait, what's everyone talking about?
    When the Lumia 928 first launched on Verizon on May 16th, they offered a 6-week promotion where every new purchase of a 928 resulted in a free $25 virtual gift card that could be used to purchase Windows Phone apps. The fine print of the promotion says that the funds will expire on the 29th of this month, but on our Microsoft account pages it says they don't expire, so those of us with remaining balances are wondering if we should go on a shopping spree (spend it all before 9/29) or roll the dice (wait and see and hope the money doesn't disappear).
    09-20-2013 03:38 AM
    Just wow. It's as simple as this:
    1. You spend the promo now and get your $25 worth of apps
    or
    2. You don't spend it before the 29th, and you either:
    a. Still have $25 to spend
    or
    b. Lose your $25

Either way, it's not worth putting that much effort in at your theoretical, illegal, sub-minimum wage job.

Spend it now or roll the dice. That is what it boils down to.
    09-20-2013 11:27 AM
    Just wow. It's as simple as this:
    1. You spend the promo now and get your $25 worth of apps
    or
    2. You don't spend it before the 29th, and you either:
    a. Still have $25 to spend
    or
    b. Lose your $25

Either way, it's not worth putting that much effort in at your theoretical, illegal, sub-minimum wage job.

Spend it now or roll the dice. That is what it boils down to.
    UPDATE:
    There is no more ambiguity as ePrize finally responded to my inquiries. The money needs to be spent before the end of the 28th or it will disappear.

"Hello. Thank you for your email. Per the official rules, your credit will expire on September 28i [sic], 2013. Unfortunately there is no way for us to extend the expiration date on this offer. Thank you for your understanding!

Sincerely,
    ePrize Customer Service
    "

Here's to hoping next week's Red Stripes Deal is a good one.
    09-20-2013 12:32 PM
    I think im still going to roll the dice. i like a good gamble.

has anyone who hasnt done the xbox MS points transfer process checked billing.microsoft.com?
    09-20-2013 03:22 PM
    Breaking news!!!

More evidence to claim it wont expire. (it may if you haven't gone through the MS points transfer) I just purchased an app and it took it out of the funds that are set to expire first (which would be the points that transferred from MS points to my MS account.). Not my funds that i got for the Lumia promotion. So basically if my $30 is going to expire on the 29th. I have to spend the $67 that got transferred from my MS points before i will even start spending that $30, since MS uses the funds that are going to expire first.

I would say if you are worried at all or curious. login to your live account via billing.microsoft.com and see if the funds have an expiration date, if they don't, (i would screenshot it just for good measure) I think you're good.
    09-20-2013 03:30 PM
    Breaking news!!!

More evidence to claim it wont expire. (it may if you haven't gone through the MS points transfer) I just purchased an app and it took it out of the funds that are set to expire first (which would be the points that transferred from MS points to my MS account.). Not my funds that i got for the Lumia promotion. So basically if my $30 is going to expire on the 29th. I have to spend the $67 that got transferred from my MS points before i will even start spending that $30, since MS uses the funds that are going to expire first.

I would say if you are worried at all or curious. login to your live account via billing.microsoft.com and see if the funds have an expiration date, if they don't, (i would screenshot it just for good measure) I think you're good.
    My guess is that taking a screenshot will offer good protection if the funds to expire and you want to lobby to get them back. Technically, though, if they want to be sticklers, when they investigate your claim that you had funds one day that didn't expire and now they're suddenly gone, they can trace it back to the promotion and cite the fine print and say "tough luck". I'm guessing they won't do this, though, and that you'll likely be able to recover your lost funds (if they even get deleted at all).

Hmm, now I'm torn on what to do. I don't want to go on a spending spree buying a bunch of things I only kind of want. I'd much rather space out my purchases over the coming months. But I'd rather not risk losing the funds and then fighting to get them back.
    09-20-2013 05:45 PM
    If they do or don't expire on the 29th, I have only spent about $10 of the credit so far. And for the life of me, I can not think of anything else that is a paid app that I need. Any suggestions out there on good, useful apps. So far this is a list of what I have purchased.

1. Amazing weather HD
    2. battery
    3. Doodle God
    4. ProShot
    5.Tapatalk
    09-20-2013 08:49 PM
    If they do or don't expire on the 29th, I have only spent about $10 of the credit so far. And for the life of me, I can not think of anything else that is a paid app that I need. Any suggestions out there on good, useful apps. So far this is a list of what I have purchased.

1. Amazing weather HD
    2. battery
    3. Doodle God
    4. ProShot
    5.Tapatalk
    Games I bought that I like:
    1. Halo: Spartan Assault
    2. Carcassonne
    3. Hexic Rush
    4. Modern Combat 4
    5. Rocket Riot
    6. Skulls of the Shogun