Replacement Options for Verizon 928

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The speaker on my 928 is going out. It's the speaker that is used to hear people on phone calls. If you put pressure on the back of the enclosure the speaker will work intermittently.

I contacted Nokia and they said I have to mail them my device at my own expense and that the turnaround time would be 7-10 business days. Short story, with a job that relies on connectivity and a newborn child I can't afford to be without a phone for two weeks.

Verizon corporate store said they couldn't replace the phone because it's outside the 14 day period and I purchased it from Newegg.

Has anyone else gone about getting a device any other way?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I would think that would be covered under verizons warranty. I replaced my HTC 8x a month back because my battery wouldn't charge. I would think they would cover a defective speaker too. Keep in mind I didn't pay extra. I also called Verizon and didn't go to the store. They just send me a replacement and I had my original 8x since November.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problems. Do you have any other phone to use in that time? I had problems with my phone and re-activated an old phone in the meantime while my phone was getting fixed and other problems were being worked out.

I think with Verizon, the phone may have to be purchased through them or possibly through Best Buy in order for them to replace it many times. The less information you provide about where else you bought it the better though, I'm not sure they always know unless you supply them with the info.

Do you have insurance or a separate warranty like Squaretrade? If not, do you have a Microsoft Store nearby? That's a possibility I'd think depending on the time of ownership. I hadn't checked the list of stores in a while and was pleasantly surprised the closest one was now a half hour from me not an hour and a half like before.

Activate an old phone while you wait for whatever turnaround time is necessary. It just takes one call to Verizon and sometimes can be done online too.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have another device. I could make Skype my default, but I would look weird with my 11.6" Iconia plastered to my face all day.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Even if you bought it at NewEgg, Verizon's warranty should still kick in - assuming the phone was new and not used when you bought it. However, with Verizon's warranty, they mail you a replacement phone (3-5 business days typically). But you get to keep your phone in the meantime.

As a temporary workaround, does the loudspeaker still work? A Bluetooth should work too.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Bring it to Verizon, you can keep your phone and they will send you a replacement phone via mail. Takes a couple days. Send your old phone back with supplied packing from verizon.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
So Verizon was actually really awesome over the phone. Replaced my device for free, I just have to send mine back within 5 days of receiving the replacement. I like that I'll have a day or two to take a look at making sure the replacement is in good working order before I send my original back. Good for you Verizon, for giving me options. Nokia needs to step it up now that they're partnered with Microsoft in the devices department, Apple has got them WHIPPED in customer service and options for customers.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Good for you Verizon, for giving me options. Nokia needs to step it up now that they're partnered with Microsoft in the devices department, Apple has got them WHIPPED in customer service and options for customers.

I agree. I went through Verizon for my replacement and didn't think about Nokia but after reading about the delay people had to go through for a warranty replacement, I saw multiple 2 weeks to a month stories, they need to get things together for sure. They need a Verizon style system right now where they send out a replacement and then eventually when the merger/buyout is complete, the Microsoft stores need to provide repairs on all devices, not just ones bought in their stores, give people the option to buy the Microsoft insurance like Applecare does. I think the difference is that in other countries, Nokia has stores that provide repairs like the Apple stores do. Major problem that there is no option like that here in my opinion.

So glad everything worked out well.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So Verizon was actually really awesome over the phone. Replaced my device for free, I just have to send mine back within 5 days of receiving the replacement. I like that I'll have a day or two to take a look at making sure the replacement is in good working order before I send my original back. Good for you Verizon, for giving me options. Nokia needs to step it up now that they're partnered with Microsoft in the devices department, Apple has got them WHIPPED in customer service and options for customers.

As a point of reference, VZW will send you a refurbished phone and you really do not get to decide whether it works. The five day return window is to accommodate the shipping method for your defective device. If that does not go back to them they will bill you for the replacement value. In my experience, I have also gone through batches of VZW refurbished replacements because they do little that would actually count as refurbishing. My impression is that they get a defective or other returned phone back, turn it on, do some basic checks, wipe it, certify as refurbished and send to the next victim. My record was actually an HTC TouchPro that was replaced with (if I remember correctly) seven defective refurbished units - recent experience suggested they haven't changed too much. The only thing that I can say positive about VZW customer support is that they usually will swap you the refurbished junk quickly. If you are lucky, they will get it right the first time - if not, at least you can swap additional refurbished units in relatively short order. The irony is of the two companies you names, Nokia and VZW, Nokia is the one that is famous for responsiveness and VZW is known for making lives difficult. I stay with VZW since they have better coverage and are the lesser of the various evils, not because they offer quality customer support.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
This is why I buy phones at an authorized dealer (#1 Verizon retailer on Long Island) instead of corporate locations. There are always strings to be pulled. Even though I am out of 14 days, I am able to get a free, full, brand new replacement if I bring in my defective device. Verizon wasn't bad at all, though; I spoke to them on the phone first and they were entirely willing to send me a "Used Like-New" device in the mail while I kept using my old device...I think that's pretty good customer service. Thing is, I don't think it is fair to get a refurbished device when mine is only 3 weeks old, which is why I settled this at the store I purchased it. It's just a matter of waiting until they get them in stock! Good luck with your new phone.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have this problem on my Nokia 928 as well actually headed to a Microsoft store now to c if they will do anything for me I bought mines off swappa tho but its still under warranty was in perfect condition when I got it just a faulty speaker. If not I'll have to go directly thru Nokia

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Just a update took my phone in and apparently its my screen protector causing the issue when I took it off my earpiece worked they said there's suppose to be holes in the screen protector but mines didn't have any...needless to say im happy

Sent from my Nokia 928 using Tapatalk

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Just an update - I'm typing this out on my replacement, and all seems to be going well. The phone I received even seems a little better than my other in its responsiveness as well.

Could just be the excitement and relief talking though.

Ordered the replacement Friday, received it last night (Monday). It hadn't been updated to Amber/GDR2 so I took longer than I wanted but everything is working well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney