Sigh...More Annoyances from my Lumia 928

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I swear, I do not remember this much issues with my Lumia 920 and my brief time with the 1020 on At&t

My first Lumia 928 had the issue where people complained about not being able to hear me at all and now briefly this Lumia did it yesterday again where my friend said it sounded like "Water" was in the phone(and the phone has NEVER been dropped in water).

And dropped calls like crazy...I dropped a call like to customer service for my laptop and it pissed me off after being on hold for an hour lol...thankfully they called me back.

I am beginning to think the issues with people needing me to repeat myself or the "Water" sound is a network thing with Verizon...I have a T-mobile Prepaid sim also i use and T-mobile service is spotty but i'd rather pay $60 with them a month vs 100+ or more with VZW for subpar service on "America's Largest Network."

But the latest issue is phantom touches...this happened twice in the past 24 hours.
The phone will just randomly start doing things on it's own...scrolling to the app list, launching various tiles, etc etc.
I can lock it and then it'll unlock and do it again.

As well as for some reason the scrolling on this phone is not as smooth when scrolling through tiles, app list and in apps such as Wpcentral, The verge and many other apps and the browsers. If i flick to scroll, it'll barely move. I have to keep flicking for it to finally start moving faster. It makes reading long pages tedious because it'll literally scroll a line at a time until it finally decides to flick faster.

This happened with my first 928 and now the second one. I am not calling verizon either, because if a Brand New Lumia 928 i got at the store is still annoying me, I'd hate to see what happens if i get a refurb.

This phone really is sort of making my windows phone experience suck but i am not giving up on the OS/Nokia just yet because I've had great Nokias(810, 920 and 1020) so I expect greatness from Nokia because i never had major complaints with those phones.

I am tempted to really just go back to ATT and get another 920(or 1020) or at this point, just get an entirely different phone and just get a 520 on Prepaid so i can interchange between the two phones as I am not a happy Lumia 928 customer or Verizon.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's quality control has fallen off the map. I don't know who oversees it, but they have really dropped the ball. I am currently on my sixth l920, this never would've happened under the old Nokia prior to WP!

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Call quality and dropping:
Does this happen when you are in a known good coverage area. I live in the sticks and I've not had problem one with reception or sound quality with mine.

Scrolling:
Do you have a case or screen cover on the phone that could be interfering? That could also cause the "phantom" touches?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Call quality and dropping:
Does this happen when you are in a known good coverage area. I live in the sticks and I've not had problem one with reception or sound quality with mine.

Scrolling:
Do you have a case or screen cover on the phone that could be interfering? That could also cause the "phantom" touches?
When i am home I live In a really rural area. My mother has Verizon and her coverage is spotty as well but not as bad as I have.

At my college, yale, here in new haven it is decent coverage call quality is a bit meh.

No cases...im the type of person where I like ppl to see what phone I have lol. And I always hated screen protectors so no screen protector.

Even as i type my reply to you the keyboard feels like it is lagging quite a bit.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's quality control has fallen off the map. I don't know who oversees it, but they have really dropped the ball. I am currently on my sixth l920, this never would've happened under the old Nokia prior to WP!

Honestly this is the first time I have had major issues with a Nokia device. I of course never used their pre Lumia devices but I am just disappointed with my phone and its quality.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you got a bad device. My girlfriend has had a 928 for a couple months and it has been pretty solid. She has had the gyroscope freeze up on her twice. But overall, pretty solid device.

Have tried doing a soft or hard reset yet?

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I would blame the dropped calls on VZW. As for your screen issues, have you tried cleaning it? Sounds stupid, I know, but finger prints and smudges can register as touches sometimes.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The phantom touches seem to have started with GDR2, have experienced them on both of my phones since updating. A few people (including TCMan) mentioned Verizon was seeing a number of issues post update, so I think its something they are aware of and working on. I'd expect they roll GDR3 out quickly /soon after the 1520 launches to fix it.

First sign of the phantom touches and I hard reset my phone. Haven't had a problem since. I also noticed it helped to have supersensitive screen off and Glance off

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a T-mobile Prepaid sim also i use and T-mobile service is spotty but i'd rather pay $60 with them a month vs 100+ or more with VZW for subpar service on "America's Largest Network."

Subpar service? Do you mean customer service, area of coverage or call quality? Because I haven't had any of those issues. Hate to hear your phone is giving you problems. Mine is running along smooth as can be. Unfortunately it sounds like you are an isolated case.

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Even as i type my reply to you the keyboard feels like it is lagging quite a bit.

Have these been constant issues or more recent (as of GDR2/Amber)? When was the last time you restarted your phone- manually or via a soft reset?

I have a 928 that I've noticed has been having some issues after GRD2/Amber. Nothing that takes more than a second to fix- WiFi slows way down or stops responding after several hours and requires I turn off and on my WiFi settings. Three times I have had to do soft restarts since GDR2- never have I EVER had do with my 710 or my 928 prior to GDR2/Amber.

My wife comes from a rural area and I have noticed I am not always on LTE when we visit her hometown. Thankfully I can be on WiFi at her parent's, but not always. One thing to remember is the amount of money it costs to cover rural areas does not necessarily yield much of a return on investment.

As far as college networks go, my wife works at a major Big Ten school one of the largest campuses in the US and complains all the time about how spotty her Verizon service is from time to time. For the record, I wanted to go with T-Mobile for the same reason as you, but she refuses to leave Verizon because they actually have coverage in a couple places we almost never visit. When you have so many devices trying to access your network in a bunched area, you start having poorer service.

While I realize her school is probably 6+ times larger than Yale's student body, college "kids" tend to use their mobile devices constantly- walking to/from class, in class, in the library, cafeteria, etc. Compare that to a suburban area without dense apartment living, where WiFi is every where, and things like call quality should (theoretically) be better. I recognize that VoLTE might not be the norm yet, it could be what's going on in your area.

For the record- I had to swap my first 710 because it wouldn't read the SIM card. Our recent Nokia JBL Play To had to be swapped because the first speaker didn't actually produce any kind of noise whatsoever. That said, I would rather have early hardware issues while things can still be exchanged for as opposed to a year out. One thing to remember, even if every item is tested before being shipped, electronics fail from time to time well outside the normal range. Considering this doesn't seem widespread, it could very well just be terrible luck for those of us responding to your thread.

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed it helped to have supersensitive screen off and Glance off

Oh, the irony- I put supersensitive touch on the other day to show someone how awesome it was and it didn't work! (This was post-GDR2/Amber) When I had originally tried it, it worked just fine. I really hope that developers start take advantage of cloud saving of game statistics. I have a few games that I would stop playing on my phone if my data was erased. Similarly, it is really annoying that I am at two different points in both games between my Lumia and my Windows 8 desktop. The whole reason I play on my desktop and my phone is because I think it is far more likely that my phone will be replaced or wiped for some reason than my desktop.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just took glance off and reset the phone and the scrolling is rather jerky still. Lol sigh....i am not sure what is up with this phone. I would hate to hard reset because I know these lumias tend to screw up sometimes when you do that.

By subpar service, I meant the reception :)

Ironically enough most people around here at Yale seem to use iPhones with att and the ocassional android. I've seen two lumias but I haven't came across anyone I know using Verizon.

The issues seem minor for the most part its just annoying to me that this phone isn't acting like other nokias I've owned recently in the past.

The lag on the keyboard causes me to make a crap ton of errors to the point I have to almost peck the letters.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am currently on my sixth l920, this never would've happened under the old Nokia prior to WP!

Aren't we WP users funny people? If we were on our 6th iPhone or Android we'd say "What pieces of garbage! I'm never touching an iPhone or Android phone again!" But yet with a WP we just say we got a bad device and get it replaced and keep loving it...

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from iPhone to Lumia 928. Best decision EVER! No issues here. Still learning some tricks here and there but overall, very stable and solid and super lightning quick.
I could go on and on but ....Swap out your device for another. You have a melon.

maxnicks

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The issues seem minor for the most part its just annoying to me that this phone isn't acting like other nokias I've owned recently in the past.
In my mind, nothing's minor about not being happy with your phone. You know you're going to end up having to do the hard reset. I know how badly we all hate that. just do it and get it over with.... I wish I had something more helpful to add. good luck! Make sure and let us know what happens after you do the hard reset or if you get it fixed prior to.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I did he factory reset twice and so far from a fresh boot, I haven't seen any of the issues before.

I have noticed a new quirk. The tile color changes on its own. While I was typing the tile color went from the Verizon default red to like a really pale looming red color. It liked flashed a few times and the red got brighter and pale looking then it went back to its normal color.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I did he factory reset twice and so far from a fresh boot, I haven't seen any of the issues before.

I have noticed a new quirk. The tile color changes on its own. While I was typing the tile color went from the Verizon default red to like a really pale looming red color. It liked flashed a few times and the red got brighter and pale looking then it went back to its normal color.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
That's the sunlight readability kicking in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte