Factory reset gave me gears of death

TomNow1

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

So I wanted to do a factory reset through the Windows Settings and now I have the gears of death. At this point I have done the volume down+power to try and 'kick it' back to life but that didn't work. Now I am allowing it to completely drain. I have also downloaded Nokia Software Updater for Retail and Nokia Care Suite based on other forums. My question is how do I put the 928 into 'flash mode' so these apps can see it and start re-flashing it? I am hoping by doing that I'll be able to reboot and it will go back to factory. When I do a down vol+power, all it does is reboots the phone and once the phone goes into the gears screen it loses connection with the PC so I can't flash. Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated, don't want to wait 5 days for a replacement, thanks!

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Make sure, when you're doing the Power + Volume down reset, that you keep it held until power goes off. This can take more time than people expect so they release it thinking nothing happened. Not sure if you are already aware of this, but it's worth a shot...

f88

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I ran into the same gears problem with a 920, and if all you wanna do is bring it back to factory settings, you'll have to repeatedly perform the steps in the forum link posted above. Do it once, wait ten minutes, then if the gears are still there, do it again. Repeat the process every ten minutes until it works. During one factory reset, I had to do this fifteen times before something happened, but after enough tries, I'm pretty sure it'll work.

TomNow1

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong because vol down + power just reboots the phone, it doesn't actually shut it down. So I don't even know when to do the camera button, any ideas? Right now the battery finally drained and i'm waiting for it to charge enough to turn on by itself, I heard that might help it

f88

May 29, 2013
Visit site
After the phone reboots, try pressing Volume up, Volume Down, Power Button, Volume Down. If I'm not mistaken that should send it into the spinning gears icon, and you can actually do that while the phone charges, regardless of whether or not the low battery icon is there, from my experience.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong because vol down + power just reboots the phone, it doesn't actually shut it down. So I don't even know when to do the camera button, any ideas? Right now the battery finally drained and i'm waiting for it to charge enough to turn on by itself, I heard that might help it

To clarify, when I ran into the problem of getting the spinning gears for about 2 hours on a hard reset, I did the soft reset with the "Power + Volume down" combination. The phone then rebooted and it went right back to the spinning gears, as I was told to expect. I waited patiently on the spinning gears again, and this time, the phone actually did complete the hard reset process after about 10-15 minutes of spinning gears. Moral of the story, patience was the key in my case, but you may be experiencing a problem unlike mine.

TomNow1

May 16, 2013
Visit site
yep, did that spinning gears for hours still. I've called Verizon for a replacement. Hard resets should not have this outcome

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
yep, did that spinning gears for hours still. I've called Verizon for a replacement. Hard resets should not have this outcome

Yeah, unfortunately the endless spinning gears are a common outcome when resetting a Lumia 928. At least good that it is easy to get a replacement (albeit refurbished) from Verizon.

TomNow1

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping someone would help point me to how to flash a ROM on a 928 with the gears of death so that i don't need a refurb unit. I reflashed aplentyon Android, was hoping to see something similar here

palaudawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same spinning gears issue after a hard reset on my 928 in hopes it would bring back the use of the motion sensor. Lucky for me I had already received my replacement device from Verizon before doing the reset. Because of that I was less concerned. Thanks though for the great information. BTW was the device completely wiped when you recovered it? I didn't like the fact that I had to send back my old 928 with the possibility of my personal information potentially being still on the device.

TomNow1

May 16, 2013
Visit site
yep, device completely wiped (no data remained) and flashed with a direct amber gdr2 rom so starting out like new. Weird thing, now glance stays on for like 15 mins, before it would turn off after 30 seconds, things that make you go hmmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel