Text Messages do not back up?

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
In reviewing many threads, there seems to not be one answer.
I can view my FB chats via outlook.com but no text message back up even though it is marked on the phone?
Thoughts?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's backed up - trust me - I've installed a backup at least 4 times. Even though only a few of my very old text message threads show on Outlook.com, they still reappear on my phone when I restore. Every time.

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Alright then. If I restore my phone, I will see my text messages back on even from 3 weeks ago? I just got my phone about 4 weeks ago and do not want to lose any text messages.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just spent 10 minutes swiping. The text thread with my wife goes back to 11/15, launch day for the Lumia 822. My wife now has that 822, because on 5/14 I got my first 928 and she got the 822. I've since had three 928s.

Convinced?

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Alright then. If I restore my phone, I will see my text messages back on even from 3 weeks ago? I just got my phone about 4 weeks ago and do not want to lose any text messages.

3 weeks ago? Definitely. 10 months ago? That too. Same experience as hopmedic. I started with an 822. Had an unfortunate spill and a few other things. Went to a replacement 822 before going to a 928. I've been able to restore my text messages on both replacements. I can pull up the "Congrats on your 822" text that Verizon initially sent when I first activated my original 822 in December 2012. You're good as long as you have Backup on and you've allowed enough time for it to backup. I wouldn't recommend switching backup on at Noon and then testing out that it backed up at 12:05 pm with a reset but yeah, you're good. If they aren't there when you reset your phone or get a new one, you have to sync it with your Microsoft account and they'll gradually return.

Last edited:

cristianocr7

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. So, on my Lumia 928, I have applist and settings, text messages and photos all check to be backed up. I guess I am good to go! Thanks again!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's backed up - trust me - I've installed a backup at least 4 times. Even though only a few of my very old text message threads show on Outlook.com, they still reappear on my phone when I restore. Every time.

Hey Hopmedic, it looks like I will try a hard reset to see if that will fix my compass issues. What backup utility are you using? I don't want to lose ANY of my data or settings or anything. Got a recommendation? Thanks! (I'm on Verizon and already backing up my contacts via the Backup Assistant.)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There is no backup utility that will save everything. Take screenshots of your home screen, as you will have to reconstruct that yourself. Make sure they sync up to SkyDrive before you reset. Other than that, I do not use Verizon's Backup Assistant - Verizon knows enough about me already, and Microsoft already backs up more than VZWs BA does. When you restore, connect to a WiFi ASAP because otherwise you'll be pulling all of your apps/games/config/whatever over the data plan and burning it up. The first time I did a restore, I connected to the WiFi at the Microsoft Store and sat there for two hours while it pulled more than 2GB over their WiFi. Your pictures will not restore - you can copy them back to the phone using a PC if you want to. Music will not restore, though not being an Xbox Music user I don't know if maybe it will restore music purchased.

After the restore, I typically go through all of the settings just taking a cursory look to be sure that they are what I want. I don't remember which, but there are a few settings that do not restore from the backup. The whole thing is a process that can take a few hours, depending on how many apps/games you have installed, and how many tiles you have pinned.

That's all I can think of for now - the last time I did a restore (I've done it five times) was in June.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I'm assuming that you already know that you will lose all game save data, as well as data that is saved within any apps. Because of the security model of the phone, and the way the apps are sandboxed from each other, there is no app that can backup the data saved in those games or apps. If developers have put in a way to backup to SkyDrive or other cloud storage, that data can be recovered. But most apps/games do not do this.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. There's really no data in that I need to keep. I just want to make sure all my contacts and texts are preserved. So I take it that I will have to reinstall my mail accounts manually as well?

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No, email accounts will be setup, you will be asked for the passwords only.
The only things you have to do are :
Setup your homescreen
Let all your apps re-download.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Your contacts will be preserved *as long as you've set them up with your Microsoft Account*. The reason I add this stipulation is that I believe (haven't tried it) you can create contacts that are stored locally, but not associated with your MS account. I could be wrong, but just in case, I wanted to mention it.

lemon donut

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
I've had Backup Assistant running on my Lumia 928 since I activated it in August--Is there a way to view on my Microsoft account (or anywhere else) to verify that texts and contacts have indeed backed up?

I have a new Lumia 928--If restore to another phone can I keep records on both phones?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon