Should I still consider the 928?

plyboult

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Currently have had an 8x for the past few months and while its a quality device, I've always wanted a Nokia (initially I picked the 8x over the 928, due to pricing).

EBay prices of the 928 are steadily declining and I am sure they will continue, with new Lumias coming out & the device getting a little older.

Before the end of the year I plan on picking up a new phone, my question is should the 928 be something I should still consider purchasing once the right deal comes along?

plyboult

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading through one of the other threads about the amount of Bugs and different phones people have had to replace so that does me make nervous.

With the 928 I am looking at more storage and Nokia support over the 8xs smaller storage & much less support.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading through one of the other threads about the amount of Bugs and different phones people have had to replace so that does me make nervous.

With the 928 I am looking at more storage and Nokia support over the 8xs smaller storage & much less support.

As someome who owned a 8X for about 4 months and then moved over to a 928 (mainly for the space). I personally would stay stick with the 8X if you can deal with the space limits...The 928 is a very buggy phone, at least once a week the touch screen stopped working and needing the phone to be rebooted to get to work again (yea, some say not a big deal but, it happens when a call comes in or a email that I have been waiting for comes in). There are other issues that I have a lot of, like internet stop working and the fact that Verizon disabled the FM radio on the phone (no matter what people are saying right now).

The 8X is more stable phone than the 928....and I will stand by that 100%. 85-90% of the time the 928 works great but, when I had my 8X, 99% of the time it was fine...

New models will be coming ou soon, if you can hold tight, I would wait it out a little..

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is a great phone: fantastic camera, 32GB is space, 4.5" of screen, and pretty sexy too (bot not as sexy as the 925 or 8x). It has had a few bugs, but overall runs really well. You wouldn't regret getting it.

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Other than what VZW messes with, SMS+call filter & the FM radio, I haven't had a single issue with mine. It's a great solid dependable performer.
I'm sure there is some buggy ones out there, but that's just the nature with mass production.
One has to remember too, that the few that have had issues that you see on the forums, isn't always a good representation of the 100's of thousands or more that have been sold.
If you need a new phone now, I'd pick one up. If not, wait to see what is coming out real soon.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Davidct has had a bad streak of luck. If you find a deal on a phone as good as the 928, jump on it. It's a solid device.

Look around, I am not the only one...There is a bunch of threads on these issues. The 928 is a nice phone no question but, it's a buggy phone, a TON more than the 8X....(never had an issue when I had the 8X so, it's not buggy at all)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Look around, I am not the only one...There is a bunch of threads on these issues. The 928 is a nice phone no question but, it's a buggy phone, a TON more than the 8X....(never had an issue when I had the 8X so, it's not buggy at all)

I have many friends who are rocking this device without a single issue.

plyboult

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Typically this is the only place I've seen issues with the 928, everywhere else speaks very highly of it.

I have a soft spot for HTC I think they have always made a really quality product, but just Nokia is that much more supportive and I would rather save with buying a 928 for $3-350 new, than paying closer to retail once future devices arrrive.

I have very little patience as we speak and having a phone for awhile isn't something I am used to lol.

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
My daughter and I both have 928s, and neither of us have experienced any "bugs". If you find a good deal, I'd say go for it.

plyboult

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
If the 929 coming out will be $500 off contract I can either save up for that bad boy and probably get the 928 for under $250. Hmm

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If the 929 coming out will be $500 off contract I can either save up for that bad boy and probably get the 928 for under $250. Hmm

I would certainly wait for 929. There are some bugs with 928 ( main one screen locks up) but it's a solid phone. However 929 has some killer features that I think is worth the wait

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
We have three 928s in my family since launch date in May. I can remember only 3 lockups in the entire time. No other defects or bugs that I know of (amber update fixed Bluetooth problem). Besides the 1020 on other carriers, I think the 928 is one of the best phones out there still. Fast, lots of storage, good audio, photos and video capability are just a few of its great features compared to others.

plyboult

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Personally I want to see a new windows device from HTC but like I said I don't know how much support will be there.

Ill at the very least wait until the Nokia event when the new devices are announced and go from there. Just the storage and price of a slick white 928 are intriguing to me.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 928 since launch day. I have a ton of apps on it. I use the CRAP out of it for GPS and fitness type apps. It is my primary camera now. In all the time I've had it, it's locked up MAYBE 3 or 4 times and I think it was the result of a problem with a specific app that hung the phone.

Also, I got a screen protector for it and the TPU case and I've dropped it many times from waist height and above on all surfaces from carpeting to parking lot and still have not had any cracks or scratches. As with any experience in this regard, YOUR experiences will vary. I am just relaying my own.

Yes, they say the 929 will be out. That's an option as well, depends on how bad you need a new phone. I was using a 2 year old Trophy where the USB port wasn't working anymore. I had an identical one that I used SOLELY for charging the batter. I had to carry BOTH phones with me and swap batteries out when the one in my main would die. Not the most optimal of solutions, but one I suffered with until the 928 was available.
Since then, I have never been more pleased with a device. This one is awesome for ME.

plyboult

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Seeing what the 929 is going to bring to the table. I don't have an actual upgrade until December 2014, my 8x is still holding up very well a few months in (minus light wear and screen scratches).

After the new releases I still may check out a white 928, I've been seeing some awesome deals on eBay and the price of the device is just going to keep declining. Thanks for the feedback.

chase1963

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 928 for around 3 months. It' locked up on me soon after i got it. I found out holding volume down and power rebooted it. I did that. No problem. Last week it locked up for no apparent reason. No matter how many times i did the same reboot, it wouldn't work. VZW sent me a replacement.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I just grabbed a 928 off of ebay for 250 to tide me over until the 929 is released. Something is going on in my area and people with 3g phones (me with my iphone 4s) get horrible coverage, but people on 4G have awesome coverage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz