Lumia 928 SMS Issues on AT&T???

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Semi-proud owner of a Lumia 928 here. I used it for about a week on T-Mobile and have the usual SMS issues, unless I have data set to 2G. I am not here to complain, just have a simple question of hope. Is there anyone out there that can confirm or not confirm whether the SMS issue is specific to T-Mobile, and that SMS works as usual on AT&T?s network while on 3G? I don?t know if I should sell this phone. If it works as usual on AT&T I would simply keep it and hope that it is not a Verizon thing creating this problem and that it will be resolved in due time. I really want to use this as my daily driver. So far this is my favorite Lumia. I am currently back to using my 800, after briefly having the 720 and 925.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon devices do not support 3G or LTE on GSM networks in the US. You would be better off getting an AT&T branded device or an unlocked international device. The best you'll get with the 928 on AT&T or T-Mobile is EDGE.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I do get 3G on T-Mobile but no outgoing SMS. I have to change to 2G to send SMS. Well, it shows 3G and sometimes H+, but I never tested the speed. Have you tried this device on AT&T network?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do get 3G on T-Mobile but no outgoing SMS. I have to change to 2G to send SMS. Well, it shows 3G and sometimes H+, but I never tested the speed. Have you tried this device on AT&T network?
No. I would not even bother buying a dual CDMA/GSM device to use on AT&T. Anything branded to VZW/Sprint is not optimal for use on AT&T or T-Mobile.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
OK, I am not asking for a recommendation. I was recommended this phone by a salesman at the local Microsoft store. Therefore I already own the phone and am aware of the SMS issues after using the phone and have regrets buying this phone due to its shortcomings, and now the inability to return this phone. I am just asking if anyone has had SMS success with AT&T? Please, I am not looking for a recommendation.
Thanks.

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
OK, I am not asking for a recommendation. I was recommended this phone by a salesman at the local Microsoft store. Therefore I already own the phone and am aware of the SMS issues after using the phone and have regrets buying this phone due to its shortcomings, and now the inability to return this phone. I am just asking if anyone has had SMS success with AT&T? Please, I am not looking for a recommendation.
Thanks.
Well I have been using the Lumia 928 from the beginning with AT&T only. Bought it at full price, I'm using a Go Phone sim. The device supports 2G and 3G Data & Calls on AT&T and SMS works without any problem (no delivery confirmations - believe AT&T doesn't support it).

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. You give me some hope. Sorry to keep asking the same old question, but SMS goes out successfully even on 3G? If so, I hold out and keep this thing.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon devices do not support 3G or LTE on GSM networks in the US. You would be better off getting an AT&T branded device or an unlocked international device. The best you'll get with the 928 on AT&T or T-Mobile is EDGE.

Not true, my 928 gets HSPA+ on both TMo and AT&T

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again! I assume eventually they'll sort it out then and I'll be fine on T-Mobile. If not, I have the phone so I am holding out. For now, the old 800 has been treating me right still.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get internet, SMS and mms working by creating a new APN in Access Point configured for the networks, and manually apply them. Just know that if you do that you need to hard reset the phone to get it working on Verizons LTE network afterward

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I did set the APN in Access Point for T-Mobile but still could not send SMS unless I set network to 2G. I will never go Verizon only because I need GSM for international travel, so not worried about the hard reset.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you in a re-farmed area? I didn't try SMS outside of NYC, so can't comment on SMS on 3G outside of refarmed areas.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I am in a re-farmed area. I entered the APN settings from the T-Mobile website and everything works except outgoing SMS (unless on 2G), and internet sharing. Any other suggestions? Or any chance you know which APN settings have been successful with you? Would be great if I could get this thing working as it should. Thanks again!

wraedeo_hed

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Question, I currently have the 928 on Verizon, but I've been considering moving to ATT, are there any issues with getting picture messages on ATT?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get messaging working fine, but other people have reported problems. I no longer have the AT&T SIM card to test, so can't confirm if it still works.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I am in a re-farmed area. I entered the APN settings from the T-Mobile website and everything works except outgoing SMS (unless on 2G), and internet sharing. Any other suggestions? Or any chance you know which APN settings have been successful with you? Would be great if I could get this thing working as it should. Thanks again!

I used the exact same settings that Nokia Access Point uses but in a new APN. I long-pressed the APN in Access Point and went in to the settings, then wrote down all the configuration settings, then created my own.

Another thing to do would be to uninstall Nokia Access Point and use the phone settings menus to add apns (think its in cellular). The way you uninstall settings apps is to go into airplane mode, then change your date/time to something far in the future (think I did 1/1/2220) and then try to open the settings app. It will have some kind of error and uninstall the app (which you can always reinstall with SysAppPusher or online). I think the Access Point App may be a little screwy on Verizon phones

Edit: For T-Mobile, I had to manually set it a few times, then restart the phone before picture messages would go through

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried everything you mention and am having the same problem where I cannot send SMS while on 3G. If I switch highest connection speed to 2G SMS works like a charm. I also tried hard reset and manually enter APN, as well as even installing the GDR3 update. Hopefully next week we will have some nice new Lumia options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte