Considering the 928

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A friend at verizon corrected me and stated it was 14 days. I'm not sure what to do honestly. I'd like the 929, but I can't see waiting another month.

All the local ads have people selling there 8x's and 822s for $200+ which is absurd.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
A friend at verizon corrected me and stated it was 14 days. I'm not sure what to do honestly. I'd like the 929, but I can't see waiting another month.

All the local ads have people selling there 8x's and 822s for $200+ which is absurd.

Considering everything I have with my retired 822, $200 is what I'd ask for mine too.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
While some places do offer 30 day return policies on the phones, after 14 days you can no longer back out of the contracted plan, so you can't use an upgrade for a new phone. That's what Best Buy told me when I bought my day one 822 from them.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The 929 is much better, and will come out real soon. If you wait just a little longer, you will be satisfied.

....and I guess you know this because you psychic? Not all newer devices with higher specs work out to be better. The person also has already said they need to buy a phone. Why are you ignoring what they are saying and directing them to an as yet unreleased device? You have no idea whether it is really better or not and they already have said the purchase is necessary.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Considering everything I have with my retired 822, $200 is what I'd ask for mine too.

If you need a phone and the 928 meets your requirements then buy it. Going by a rumored release date for a Verizon phone is a waste of time. Keep in mind that if people around here had real inside information the 928 would have been released in March and then April. In fact the rumor mill had it arriving almost as long as the 822 was out. The 928 is a nice phone that has proved to be (for me) superior to the 822 in ever way. Bluetooth connectivity is near instantaneous. The 822 was not to put it mildly. The 822 was also hit or miss with the Bluetooth system in my car. As far as basic function goes people constantly complained that they could not here me on the 822 - no such issues with the 928. Same goes for dropped calls and signal strength. Quite frankly I wouldn't recommend anyone buy an 822 new or used. As far as $200 used goes though, if you live near a Fry's Electronics, it is cheaper than that new in their brick and mortar stores, but (again) I would consider free to be too much money for it. If you can wait a month or two, you will be able to check out the 929 but 1) don't assume 11/6 is a real release date until VZW makes an announcement, and 2) don't assume that buying an early production run of a new device will get you something better than the predecessor. If you can't wait, the 928 will do what you want and is a quite nice device.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
....and I guess you know this because you psychic? Not all newer devices with higher specs work out to be better. The person also has already said they need to buy a phone. Why are you ignoring what they are saying and directing them to an as yet unreleased device? You have no idea whether it is really better or not and they already have said the purchase is necessary.
Not only an unreleased device, but an unannounced device.
Yeah, it could be months out, knowing Verizon. Hopefully not, but their history isn't great.

Tom Hebert

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 major problems with the Nokia 928 W8 phone. The first is that I kind of love it...it looks cool, I like the W8 tile system, etc. All the photo stuff works great, nice for social networking and such. This is a problem because it puts me in great conflict because the other issues are really serious. First, this forum has reported a number of problems around Bluetooth. This apparently is not a Nokia issue as much as it is a W8 Microsoft issue. I am not a techie, but apparently the W8 mobile platform does not support a number of automakers' Bluetooth systems...it simply won't work. And worse than that, many users report (myself included) that once they try and engage with their car's Bluetooth their phone handset periodically stops working away from the car! You can operate the phone on speakerphone but if you try and use it in non-speaker mode, you can't hear anything. Major annoyance, of course. So i just shut off the Bluetooth function altogether. But the problem persists; for no apparent reason that I can discern, periodically the phone stops working as above -- can only use it in speaker mode. Sometimes a soft reboot fixes it, sometimes not. I have wondered if the problem arises when I am on a call and the phone detects a wireless modem in the area and asks if I want to connect...but I am guessing. I have turned off "notify me when the phone detects a wireless signal" and I am hoping that will help. Lastly, if you are a business user that wants to be able to save pdf's to your phone and email them to people, forget it. Not possible. You can forward an email with a pdf attachment, but that is not desirable in many client instances. With the W8 pdf reader app you can save it to your Skydrive and then send a link to that file in your Skydrive, but again in most client instances that just is not acceptable. This is not an issue with any of the Microsoft Office files...works great. And lastly, and I guess a 5th problem...if you need to prepare emails and edit them and are used to having quick and easy cursor control (as was the case with my Blackberry) this system is pathetically slow and clumsy. I spend so much more time trying to prepare basic emails because of the time spent trying to fix basic keystroke errors. But if you are not a heavy email users and preparing text on your phone, won't be an issue.

Tom Hebert

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Just found a solution to one of my major problems -- the pdf attachment issue. I came across a post in a Microsoft forum just now from last May -- and it addresses this issue. This is not my idea, but I just tried it and it works!

"Let PDF Reader do the SkyDrive upload, and cancel out when you get to the email account prompt. Now go into the Office hub, the PDF will be in the SkyDrive root directory, tap/hold/share to email as a proper attachment."

Awesome!

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. Verizon always seems to the flagship phones much later than the other carriers, and so the 11/6 date could really be 12/6. I'll pick up the 928 monday hopefully, and if all goes well, I'll purchase a charging pad. Then later on, I'll grab a car charger.

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I say go for the 928. The OS runs perfectly fine without needing 1080p screens and quad core. I love my 928. The only problems i'm having with mine are a sometimes faulty speaker and microphone which I will eventually need to take back to get fixed/replaced. I heard it was a launch problem though and has been corrected but I'm not sure.

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As of right now, I'll be an 928 owner this monday. I plan on ordering the 2x charging pads from att unless verizon decides to price match which I doubt, then maybe around christmas time I'll pick up the wireless car charger. I'll most likely be buying a decal girl skin, along with the poetic atmosphere case. Should suite me pretty well!

I say go for the 928. The OS runs perfectly fine without needing 1080p screens and quad core. I love my 928. The only problems i'm having with mine are a sometimes faulty speaker and microphone which I will eventually need to take back to get fixed/replaced. I heard it was a launch problem though and has been corrected but I'm not sure.

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just an update, they had to special order my 928 because they don't carry them in stock anymore. It should be here tuesday, wednesday at the latest. I ordered two wireless chargers from att which should get here wednesday. I still need to order my case, and protectors. Are there any "good" screen protectors that don't suck?

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Just an update, they had to special order my 928 because they don't carry them in stock anymore. It should be here tuesday, wednesday at the latest. I ordered two wireless chargers from att which should get here wednesday. I still need to order my case, and protectors. Are there any "good" screen protectors that don't suck?

I picked up an Armorsuit one. First wet protector I ever used. It was easier than expected to install and covers the entire screen. I really like it.

Amazon.com: ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Nokia Lumia 928 Screen Protector Shield Ultra Clear + Lifetime Replacements: Cell Phones & Accessories

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo