04-08-2014 07:09 AM
46 12
tools
    And now reading through the AT&T GDR2/Amber update thread it looks like a few ATT 920 owners are getting unresponsive screens and have to hard reset to get it back.
    10-10-2013 06:18 PM
    This happened once within the first couple days of getting my phone (June, I think) and then it happened today.

I have Glance on (peek) and double tap to wake. Waved hand by phone, it woke up, but double tap didn't do anything. Power button would turn the screen on, but touch screen and capacitive buttons were dead. Would dim screen quickly...eventually soft reset it.

Hmmmm...
    10-10-2013 06:23 PM
    I had this problem with my original phone out of the box. The touch screen would just stop responding and all the buttons still worked. I did a master reset and that did not fix it. I ended up just exchanging it at Verizon.
    10-11-2013 08:48 AM
    I have spent days communicating with Nokia on twitter to no avail. Final response was to send them the phone for evaluation. I contacted MS via chat with support and they told me they have never heard of anyone else complaining of this. I sent a link to this forum to both Nokia and MS and neither one seem interested enough to read it. Their attitude is basically that if it were a problem they would have heard about it. And since they have not received any other complaints it is a non-issue. Final recommendation from MS was factory reset, which I am unwilling to do. Since it only happens about one per week on average, I will just live with it. If not for this problem I would say this is the best phone I have ever owned. Maybe next update will undo whatever the last update did to cause this.
    10-12-2013 12:16 AM
    I have gotten the same responses as you. They will not accept that this is a software problem caused by the last update. I have tried and tried with no luck!
    10-15-2013 11:53 PM
    The same thing I described above happened last night and this morning. Going to ditch glance and double tap, though I doubt that will help.

No warranty claim for me until GDR3 final at any rate. :P
    10-16-2013 04:37 AM
    Loved the phone for about a day. Ended up freezing and did a soft reset. Worked for the entire day and the entire next day. Then on the way home that night the phone froze completely while I was driving and I couldn't change my directions (so I was stranded). Soft resets didn't work so I did a complete hard reset and it still didn't work. Let it sit for a couple of days and it worked long enough for me to do one hard reset and turn it off so I could send it in.

So I figure it's a hardware issue (or a low-level firmware issue unaffected by a hard reset) and send it to Nokia. Today I get a notification that repairs are done. This is what they sent me:

capture.png

First off they cut off the message I attached to the repair request. I haven't had a phone for a week. If I receive the same phone back with no changes I'm not going to be pleased. I'm convinced it's either a hardware issue and that all the "solutions" are just blind luck. If it isn't hardware it's a firmware issue that won't be fixed until new radios are pushed out (GDR3 doesn't affect firmware).
    10-16-2013 03:12 PM
    Anybody find a solution for this problem yet? Mine has started doing it on a more frequent basis. This thread is pretty old, and I can't imagine the problem has gone away magically, especially since mine just now started. But I couldn't find a better thread for it.
    12-06-2013 10:29 AM
    I had this problem with my original 928, got it swapped out at my MS store... Never had a problem with the new one until now...

Over the past few days my screen will become unresponsive, yet the capacitive buttons and hardware buttons still work(problem fixes when I sleep/wake).

I assume this is a software issue, but I'm also sick of Verizon carrying these devices that seem to be stripped of all their Lumia-ness. :\
    12-06-2013 10:52 AM
    From the time I installed GDR3, the needing for reboot has almost STOPPED, every once in a while but, very rare. The problem I tend to have now AND a lot of it, When I open up IE, I pinch to zoom or move over to a another part of the web page, it stops responing totaly but, all I have to do hit the power button 2X times and slide to open, and it's fine for a while...

Still annoying....but, has gotten better but, still unacceptable in my eyes..
    12-07-2013 11:51 AM
    I have GDR2 installed and noticed increasing issues with frozen screen as described above.
    After testing, two issues potentially caused the problem - (1) Glance screen beta, (2) Facebook Beta app (and/or any beta app)
    I uninstalled the beta glance screen, facebook beta apps, along with ANY other "beta" or app I installed at any point that I simply tried and did not use.
    This seemed to stop it. Just in case, I take in app updates like once a week (tuesday) and after the app updates I soft reset (volume down+power).
    Have been touch-screen frozen FREE from weeks. It was happening more and more and I started reading this thread. Now my phone runs smooth all the time.
    1. Try uninstalling ANY beta software (glance screen, facebook beta etc.)
    2. Uninstalled any un-used apps (if you're like me I try apps once and forget to uninstall them. Had tons on there.)
    3. For good measure, soft reset your phone after pulling in Market updates.

Hope this helps someone!
    tk-093 likes this.
    12-10-2013 12:44 PM
    I have a story to tell. I've had a white 928 since launch. Never had freezing problems until GDR2. I applied the developer GDR3 update and still had freezing problems. I started to use a Moto X for a while for work (I switch a lot) and went back to my 928 last week because I was flying to Dallas this last weekend and wanted to use my 928 beause of the better camera and my music pass. It had been a few months since I used it so I did a hard reset and set it back up again, restored from my backup and it pulled down the zillion apps I had installed and it still was freezing a time or two a day.

Well, Friday morning rolls around and I'm about to head to the airport and bam, I drop my 928, it hits some cement steps and totally shatters. Crap. Lucky I had a black 928 sitting in a drawer at work that somebody wasn't using so I drove to work on my way and grabbed it and as I was making my buddy drive to the Airport I set up that bad boy up. I also restored from backup, but for whatever reason it didn't pull down a single app from my backup. I can only assume because my last backup was from a GDR3 device that it won't restore those to an older device. I don't know if it was Amber or what... Well, I added a few apps (Facebook Beta was one) and got my accounts configured and downloaded some music again so I had crap to do on the plane. I also did use Sysapp pusher to get all the Nokia apps like accessories, audio, extras+info....

No lockups so far...

When I got to my final destination of Waco Friday night (Thanks for the freezing ice and snow Dallas) I downloaded the Developer app, to let me phone upgrade to GDR3. Well, once I did that and did a search for updates it listed that I need to appy 4 actuall updates. (I wish I would have taken a screen shot of that.) I applied those four and i'm now on GDR3.

I went the entire weekend, through today and not a single screen lockup. I've been pretty confidant that it is a software issue because we have like 5 of these in use and all 5 of those users are having lockups. They are all on GDR2/Amber.

Normally my device would have froze by now, and by posting this I've probably cursed myself. I also don't know if this info would help anybody, but I thought I'd share.
    12-10-2013 03:02 PM
    Any improvement post GDR3v10521 update?
    12-10-2013 05:47 PM
    I've had this problem as well as ghost touches, since GDR2, IIRC. It seems to be getting worse lately, and I have done a hard reset. The next time I get into Atlanta, I'm going to swing by the Microsoft Store and get it replaced.
    12-11-2013 09:39 AM
    I have had my Lumia 928 for a couple weeks now. Once (about a week ago), the screen stopped responding. I couldn't get past the lockscreen and only a soft reboot fixed it. Two days ago, it just randomly turned off and just holding the power button wouldn't turn it back on. Again, only a soft reboot fixed it (which tells me the phone was actually still "on", but just wasn't responding).

Thankfully I haven't yet had issues with this happening multiple times per day like others. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad because I otherwise love this phone!
    12-11-2013 04:50 PM
    I've had the phone since June and this happened to me last night. Screen froze but the buttons were still responsive. Did a soft reset and everything is fine now. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I used the Camera quite a bit last night - especially the video function. Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend as I really like the 928.
    12-13-2013 05:35 AM
    Happened to me 5 times in the last few days. Went to Verizon store, they are sending me a warranty replacement in the mail. Wonder if it will be a "like new" refurbished unit.
    12-13-2013 06:47 PM
    This lockup issue is tarnishing WP solid and reliable image. My friends and family are considering moving to a windows phone but I wouldn't dare mention my issues because they would assume all windows phones have this problem. It really makes you appreciate how stable WP 7.5 was and I know things will get better in time.
    12-14-2013 02:05 PM
    Do you think its WP 8 though? It doesn't seem to be as common on the 1520 or 1025, 925 etc. Here about it much more frequently on the 928. I dunno. I've been an iOS guy for the first 3 years, then moved to Android for the last 1.5. I am really trying to detach from the Google intrusion machine.
    12-14-2013 10:10 PM
    I had exact same problem for last two days.
    Verizon representative did not have a clue; told me the phone had gotten wet and was fried.
    I went to MS store where I purchased phone. MS store guy REMOVED THE SCREEN PROTECTOR
    that I had added and the phone works just fine now. Crazy!
    02-19-2014 01:45 PM
    I have faced the same problem. Thanks for your technique. My phone works normally now....
    04-08-2014 07:09 AM
46 12