928: Touch screen stops working, now more than ever.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I've been running into this problem more and more. Now it's about 3-4 times a week. I dont know the reason for it but, I was creating this thread to see if someone else knoted a patern for this happening. I saw some threads where this was happening to other people here.

History: I'll be using my phone or just pick up a ringing phone and the touch screen does not respond to any touch. The side buttons work and the Windows Keys (back, WIndows, search) work fine but, the touch screen does not do anything. The only way to get it back is Down volume and power to reboot the phone. After a reboot, the phone works fine.

This is happening more and more, Yea, I could call Nokia and complain about it but, then I will lose my save games and I am not willing to do that at this point. I have a lot of time in these games that I just dont want to lose.

So, has anyone figured out a pattern for it ? Things I can avoid to stop it from happening ?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it maybe something to due with super sensitivity if it on, I had some issues of it not responding, I turn it off the issue hasn't happened since.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it maybe something to due with super sensitivity if it on, I had some issues of it not responding, I turn it off the issue hasn't happened since.

Touch sensitivity is set to Normal, and it always has been. (double tap to wake up is off too). Any other thoughts ?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same issue ever since amber and gdr2. Touch set to normal, glance is off and there is no heat. I haven't noticed any pattern, it seems pretty random. I am still convinced that it is related to the last update.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Never happened to me until Amber/GDR2. I've tweaked all settings and no dice. I hope it's addressed in the next update.

thawkth

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've started a rollout of 928's in our company and this is really the ONLY issue we've had so far with Windows Phone.

That said, it does NOT look good and I'm getting some fairly loud complaints.

Microsoft needs to fix this before we're pushed to another platform and it's out of my hands :/

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this once or twice myself. I thought it was just me or something that was running that didn't tombstone properly. I run quite a few apps that are GPS dependent and run under the lock screen.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I know it might not make total sense but try this:

Go to the VZW store and get yourself a new SIM. Alternatively, shut down the phone, take the SIM tray out and try to put a layer of scotch tape on the SIM (back side, with no connections) and re-insert it into your device.

See if it gets better?

I read it someplace that some people replaced their SIMs and this stuff went away.

chase1963

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I had VZW replace mine last week. It froze on the lock screen and wouldn't do anything! Tried a reboot with power & volume down. Didn't work after multiple tries. A couple months ago it did the same thing and it let me reboot.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I have not used my 928 in a while and reverted to the previous phone. In two situations I called someone, they did not answer, but called back almost immediately and I could not answer the phone. I almost started to wonder if it had something to do with the orientation/rotation of the screen messing something up. A couple of other times, the double tap would not work and the phone would not respond to any touch indication until I rebooted the phone via volume and power button. It is really frustrating and there appears to be no pattern to it.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
same thing here... since the GDR2 update my phone has been randomly experiencing this same glitch. There is no pattern of specific apps running/not running or phone temp (hot/not hot). The forced reboot has cleared it each time it's happened so far but, I really hope this gets fixed asap before it gets any worse because I'd hate to have to switch to a different phone (or even worse, a different phone O/S... my wife already makes way too many jokes about Windows Phones not being as good as the alternatives and I do NOT need this to give her more ammo to use).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When the touch doesn't work is the phone hot or extremely hot I think this sometimes messes with the touch screen.

Nah, that's not it. It normally happends when I pull my phone out of my pocket, I can remember a few times where it does this. It happened to me yesterday AGAIN, just pulled it out my pocket to play a game and AGAIn, had to reboot it...

This did not start with me on GDR2, this happend before GDR2 but, not as often...

I wish there was a backup for save games on WP....I would call Nokia and get another one...

I might call Nokia up and create a case but, refuse to send my phone in at this point.

same thing here... since the GDR2 update my phone has been randomly experiencing this same glitch. There is no pattern of specific apps running/not running or phone temp (hot/not hot). The forced reboot has cleared it each time it's happened so far but, I really hope this gets fixed asap before it gets any worse because I'd hate to have to switch to a different phone (or even worse, a different phone O/S... my wife already makes way too many jokes about Windows Phones not being as good as the alternatives and I do NOT need this to give her more ammo to use).

I forced my wife to get a 928 (it was free and she needed a new phone), she HATED no group texting (fixed now) but, the biggest problem were the apps where not up to specs with the iPhone apps (just lacked a lot of features on almost every app she used every day). Things have gotten better but, she has her iPhone..

She did like it a lot...just the apps but, let's save that for another discussion.

I know it might not make total sense but try this:

Go to the VZW store and get yourself a new SIM. Alternatively, shut down the phone, take the SIM tray out and try to put a layer of scotch tape on the SIM (back side, with no connections) and re-insert it into your device.

See if it gets better?

I read it someplace that some people replaced their SIMs and this stuff went away.

Yea, it does not make any sense, a bad SIM card would cause problems with making calls, texts, etc...Not a hardware based issue.

Anyone try this with "this" issue and after a week or 2 has gone away totaly ?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine really started to act up this weekend, not sure why, but it stopped on Monday. Seems to be fixed if I turn off the screen with the power button.

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. Getting a locked screen that will not respond to touch, but buttons will still work. Volume down + power button for ~10 sec. will reboot the phone and everything is fine. Problem occurs a couple times a week.

Glance screen is always on - double tap to wake is on

I tweeted @NokiaHelps to let them know about this issue and got one response back asking me if this occurs while using apps. Replied back to that tweet and awaiting second response...

I would suggest everyone in this thread that uses twitter send a tweet to @NokiaHelps and let them know about this issue to make sure it is documented and gets some attention.

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone since May. This did not happen to me before the GDR2 update, but since then he has happened several times.

RapidTurtle

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Happened to me several times also. Seems to be getting a little bit more frequent though. I hope they fix it with a patch soon, nothing more annoying than having the phone ring, and not being able to answer it.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I was having this issue from the time of the GDR2 update until about 3 weeks ago. I was having to restart at least once a day due to freezing, but now I've only had to do so once in the past 3 weeks. Not sure if they pushed out an update or what.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss