My first encounter with Severe Battery Drainage

Lysergix

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had this for for about a month now and up until today, I've had phenomenal battery life. I rarely ever put in heavy use, so my average time between charges has been about 36 hours.

The only background apps that I have running are my Weather and Battery apps, all others have been disabled, my email synch is set to only once per day, and I've also implemented many other battery saving techniques since I first got the phone.

Yesterday, my battery life had been completely fine, functioning as it has been since I first got the phone. However, I recently charged it completely [it was at 10% right before I charged it] and ever since I disconnected it from the charger, the charge has been dropping at an extremely fast rate. According to my Battery app, it's currently discharging at 22% per hour, which is absurd! I have my data connection turned off since I'm at home connected to wi-fi and I haven't done anything out of the ordinary since yesterday. I haven't even downloaded any additional apps!

I just got around to restarting my phone once it hit 80% discharge, but it's still discharging at the same rate it was prior to the restart. What's going on?!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"What's going on?!"

The question at least I have is what did you change? I know your gonna come back and say nothing but something has obviously changed on your device. Need to find out what "that" was.

Lysergix

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
"What's going on?!"

The question at least I have is what did you change? I know your gonna come back and say nothing but something has obviously changed on your device. Need to find out what "that" was.

That's what would make sense, right? I've been trying to recall if I had done anything since yesterday too, but there really isn't anything that I can remember.

I watched some YouTube videos, replied to some emails, I haven't downloaded anything. I deleted some games too, if that would factor in anything? Settings wise, I changed my theme to Mauve, but other than that, I haven't altered my settings.

Also, it seems that my battery has stabilized now that it hit 77% remaining.. Discharge rate dropped back down to ~3% per hour. I have no idea what was going on when it peaked at discharging 22% per hour..

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Do a soft reset by holding down the volume/down button and the power button at the same time, until it shuts down and restarts. About 30 seconds. That usually fixes the battery drain.

Lysergix

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'll keep that in mind if my battery ever starts acting up again, but like I said, it seems to have resolved itself for the time being.

Thanks for the info.

So this battery drain does seem to be a random happenstance then?

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I normally do a reboot after I do any app updates, that is normally the cause of any batter drain I see. Seems to be apps constantly polling location data.

Daniel Brott

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine does that sometimes. I'll be at 100% charged then unplug it and immediately it will be at 77% then normal from then on. All I do then is turn phone off and then back on. Presto it is back to normal.

Lysergix

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'll try and reboot after updates if I notice anything suspicious going on with my battery. Thanks for the tip.

And @Daniel Brott, After I unplugged my phone, it didn't immediately drop to 77%. More like it rapidly drained to 77% over the course of one hour. But yes, I will keep in mind restarting me phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99