11-06-2013 05:26 PM
32 12
tools
    I have been with Verizon for years. I switched after I got sick of my blackberry and Sprint. I have an ailing Iphone 4 and after reading about all the Iphone 5s horror stories (Messed up sensors, crashing, etc), I have considered Androids and Windows phones. I tried out a biggish Android and I believe there is too much to customize in some of the UI and frankly it was not pocketable or worked with my girly-man hands. I have used the same Iphone 4 for years and I take a bunch of pictures and video, email, text and read academic articles online a lot (I used wifi at home for data and have a decent LTE network in my area). I have google email and some other related services as well as a couple of Microsoft business and school accounts as well as a hotmail account as my garbage acct. I have heard that there is not a really decent way to handle Google related services on a windows phone. I also heard that you cannot sent pics via email like an Iphone could, I am not sure if this is a Windows thing, a Lumia thing or a Verizon Windows thing.
    I realize something like a Lumia 928 is pretty well tied down and I would not have a ton of customizing to do, I am cool with this. I also like the size and weight and build of it and I have heard from people that the camera is tremendous compared to many android models. I could not really test it out that well in the Verizon store because of the big security cable glued to the back.
    Other than that, I don't have a ton of mp3s in Itunes. What should I consider? Any major differences between a Lumia and an iphone?
    I have heard about a 929 coming out in a few weeks and mat consider that as well. I am not in a big hurry.

Anybody who made the switch who does or doesn't like their device, give me your 2 cents.

Thanks
    10-11-2013 04:43 PM
    You can send pictures via email on Windows Phone. Not sure where you heard that.
    I've transitioned away from Google services so can't comment on that - HERE navigation is really good, and I never miss gmail.
    Biggest difference is the number of current apps is lower. If you are used to getting an app for any random thing, you might miss it. That said all the basic apps are there, either official or 3rd party.
    10-11-2013 06:05 PM
    I came to a 928 from my ailing iPhone 4 as well. And let me tell you, I'm NEVER going back to Apple (unless Microsoft really screws up WPs in the future... Then I'd go back).

I've always been a fan of iOS, but it became really stale after awhile. Live Tiles put some excitement back into my phone experience. My favorite is having a medium tile of my significant others contact right at the top of my home screen, so I see her everytime I unlock my phone, and its quick access to text/call her. Also, your home screen can be easily customized with different tiles and sizes.

The People Hub is also amazing. Its your contacts + twitter and Facebook all in one.

While I made the switch before iOS 7 came out, they are actually similar in a lot of ways, so it won't be a huge change. If you rely on a notification center, you may have to wait till the beginning of next year when 8.1 comes out.

All in all, WP is not perfect, but its a hell of a lot better that iOS IMHO. Make the switch.
    10-11-2013 06:17 PM
    I'd get it and give it that 14 day test drive, or is Verizon not doing that anymore? I came over from a BlackBerry, but I'm familiar with iOS. As far as Google, my understanding is that you won't be able to sync your calendar but I could be wrong. The main complaint you'll hear from people coming over to the platform is not finding the apps they were used to. That situation is slowly getting better. Myself can't wait for Sirius XM to land on WP8.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    10-11-2013 06:27 PM
    Just buy it. You won't buy other smartphone without Windows after that.
    Usman Mubashir likes this.
    10-11-2013 06:42 PM
    I'm about to make the switch from a 4s to the 928 on Tuesday. I bought a used one on EBay just in case I don't like it, I wouldn't burn my upgrade, I'll let you know how it goes.
    HeavyHanded likes this.
    10-11-2013 08:01 PM
    I would wait for the 22nd before grabbing a new WP
    10-11-2013 08:05 PM
    I would wait for the 22nd before grabbing a new WP
    They are just announcing new devices, not releasing them.
    10-11-2013 11:39 PM
    Thank you for all of the great responses. I am not on Twitter or Facebook but have found some of the apps I use on the WP store in the demo unit at the store. I may very well give the 928 or 929 a chance. I have enjoyed the responses so far, keep em coming.
    10-12-2013 03:04 AM
    I had iOS devices for years. Tried Droid phones on and off for a while but always ended up back on iOS.
    It wasn't until the HTC One came out that there was finally a phone that matched an iPhone on build, reliability, and usefulness.
    So I made the switch...

...then I bricked it trying to install Cyanogenmod - LOL

My first thought was to go get another, but I just couldnt go past the Camera on the 1020.

But back to the issue at hand. One of the other reasons I switched from iOS was I was just flat-out bored of it. From a usage point of view, its just never changed. Even iOS7 is the same but just a bit shinier.
    iOS = *Yawn* for me.
    I also found that unless you are 100% in the Apple eco-system, the iOS platform really started to show its limitations.

But WP8 is not perfect. I know a lot of us are patiently waiting for the 8.1 update for various things. And the release of a few 'must have' apps (eg: Flipboard).
    But while iOS has pretty much stalled on on it's innovation and Droid spends more time patching bugs than doing anything new; WP is the fastest growing and changing platform right now. I find it the perfect balance between Apples very 'closed' environment and Googles very open but fragmented platform.
    10-12-2013 03:28 AM
    Google calendar and contacts syncing works fine on Windows Phone 8 with the latest Amber update. CalDAV is now available so you can sync multiple Google calendars with your 928. Even before that it worked fine with a third-party service from NuevaSync - Smartphone Cloud Services.

I moved to a Lumia 920 from the iPhone 5 and now when I use iOS I find it amazingly clunky and can't believe how basic the interface is - just app icons, that's all. I love the way you can dig down into an app and pin a thing to the start screen, like a contact, or a podcast, a loyalty card, a particular note fom OneNote, even a destination from Here Drive. It completely changes the way you use your phone.
    rdubmu and Blkacesvf41 like this.
    10-12-2013 03:45 AM
    Me too came from iphone 4, many android devices before. After months of using my windows phone (HTC 8X), I will stick to it no matter how. Of course, the apps are lacking but when I recall back, during my iphone usage, I always installed an app then I deleted it. I'm not kind of games guy. Maybe there are several apps that I miss, but windows phone 8 apps are already enough for me. Other than that, I also use windows 8. So, to have a windows phone is like having iphone and mac os. The experience is seamless.
    10-12-2013 05:31 AM
    Anyone ever use an iPhone in ATT? Is there an app similar to Data Sense that they let you use? Just curious to see if they only strip something like that from Windows Phones and not ATT
    10-12-2013 05:41 AM
    As someone who has both, I can tell you that depending on what you want, Windows Phone may be the better choice for you.

Remember, a lot of problems associated with Windows Phone will be fixed with GDR3 and 8.1.
    10-12-2013 05:46 AM
    Thank you all so much. The battery life and camera seem to be big selling points, does anybody have any good cam examples around here?

Any suggestions for a WP app to replace Google News? Also I hear the Windows app that tells you about restaurants and others places in the neighborhood can be "overzealous" (the word my friend who uses it says). Is there a 3rd party mapping or local app which can give you restaurants, etc?
    10-12-2013 03:13 PM
    Bing news is pretty good, really like Weave reader and also Phonly, although Phonly is basically a 3rd party Feedly app so you need Feedly for it. I haven't used Poynt on Wp8, but it was pretty reliable on Android as I recall.
    bergdaniel likes this.
    10-12-2013 03:40 PM
    Thank you all so much. The battery life and camera seem to be big selling points, does anybody have any good cam examples around here?

Any suggestions for a WP app to replace Google News? Also I hear the Windows app that tells you about restaurants and others places in the neighborhood can be "overzealous" (the word my friend who uses it says). Is there a 3rd party mapping or local app which can give you restaurants, etc?

Check out this thread for some good examples of what the 928 can do.
    10-12-2013 03:46 PM
    I just switched from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 920 - I love it. I've detailed my findings so far here:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/int...tm#post2161379
    10-13-2013 04:52 AM
    I want the Lumia 928, but was announced a week after I got my 822. >:(
    10-13-2013 06:19 AM
    I want the Lumia 928, but was announced a week after I got my 822. >:(
    IMO, the 822 is the better device.

It's not only cheaper, it has a slightly better screen (when it comes to colors), a competent battery, the fact that it has 16GB of storage PLUS microSD card support (this is a VERY big plus), and the fact that it's more ergonomic.
    Sure, it and its camera are fugly, but those are some trade-offs for a great device.
    Blkacesvf41 likes this.
    10-13-2013 06:51 AM

It's not only cheaper, it has a slightly better screen (when it comes to colors), a competent battery, the fact that it has 16GB of storage PLUS microSD card support (this is a VERY big plus), and the fact that it's more ergonomic.
    Sure, it and its camera are fugly, but those are some trade-offs for a great device.
    Wp7.8 though isn't it?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    10-13-2013 07:19 AM

we hv nokia city lens
    10-13-2013 09:15 AM
    Wp7.8 though isn't it?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    No, its WP 8.1 all the windows phones that are WP 8 have numbers that are over the hundred mark like 900 is WP 7.8, but 920 is WP 8.1.
    10-13-2013 09:27 AM

Totally agree. The really square corners on the 928 kept me away from it. It's just too big for my taste. The 822 jus fits perfectly in my hand.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    10-13-2013 09:55 AM
    Ok, I am a previous iOS user so I am grateful to give my 2 cents. First, the things I regret moving from iOS are(most missed to least missed):
    •Plentiful Apps
    •Battery Percentage(you can download apps with lives tiles to show battery but it only updates every 30 mins and can't be seen in an app you must have it pinned to start screen and either go to your setting to see battery percentage or look at the pin tile and refresh it.)
    •Do Not Disturb(Really wish I still had this because it would be great for school.)
    •Custom Ringtones(Nokia has a ringtone app but your songs must be DRM free, and there is no way to download ringtones from the store.)
    •ITunes music(WP has a good selection, but iTunes selection is great.
    •Back button and forward button(whatever ***** made the internet explorer app for Windows Phone, must have been drunk I can only go back by pressing the built in back button, but if I leave the app it won't let me press back again unless opened from multitasking.)
    •Message delivery confirmation(in iOS it would show the progress of your message being sent and then say in small letters underneath the message you sent "delivered." Unfortunately, in WP if you turn delivery confirmation on it sends you another message to say delivered.)
    •Gamecenter( Xbox Live is cool, but it is harder to add friends and invite them, gamecenter was pretty much for every game so it was easier to play and share scores with friends)
    •Bad Piggies( I need this game!!!!I already contacted rovio and they said something about not planning on it yet.)
    Things I like about Windows Phone(I have Nokia Lumia 822): this isn't in any particular order:
    •Keyboard(it learns you and only autocorrects you if there is a mistake and it stores a bunch of words so if you are typing and you see your word then you can just tap it.)
    •Interface(The interface is great with lots of good customization options such as changing theme from black and white, and changing accent color.)
    •Tiles(You are what you pin, and now all your apps don't have to be on the home screen you only pin what you want to pin, so if you have some lame girly game your friends won't have to know unless they look through your game list.)
    •Camera(I like the camera button on the side and the ability to change which app it opens, but the app won't open when you have a password on for some reason)
    •Volume controls( first I like how the volume buttons are on the right side it is more convenient for me since I'm right handed, and when a song is playing it brings down some controls such as pause skip and play.)
    •Facebook integration( the Facebook app sucks but the integration of Facebook is pretty good)
    •People tile( All my contacts are in this 'folder' and I can pin the contacts that are important to me to my home screen.)
    •Flash( I have gotten many complements on how bright the flash is and whenever a flashlight is needed they look to me.)
    •Games(Xbox live is pretty fun, but you have to have Xbox live gold just to message people, and since I don't have an Xbox their would be no point of me getting Xbox gold.)
    This is as much as I can think of at the moment I will update with more stuff if I think of more. I honestly still want the iPhone 5s but with my carrier I would have to by it unlocked and I am in high school and don't have that kind of money.
    10-13-2013 10:11 AM
32 12