09-05-2014 07:10 PM
48 12
tools
    I got a warranty replacement a couple weeks ago. Mine froze after like 3 months. Soft rest got me back to the lock screen and couldn't unlock it. The screen went crazy too. The replacement phone froze within a week. I was able to reset the replacement. It's been another week now. So far, it works.
    majorawsome likes this.
    10-17-2013 08:27 AM
    Guys, I did some digging around and it seems like the HTC 8x is having the same problem... I'm thinking that the driver for the screen is bad.. I hard reset my phone and the screen didn't work at all. I then put it into the freezer (which works 100% of the time for me) and I haven't had any problems since... Running GDR3 Dev
    10-17-2013 02:42 PM
    So, I hard reset my phone with GDR3, and the screen froze all night long till I put it in the fridge. It freezes, but only when it's in the heat. I need to open it up and see what is inside. I have no idea what it is, because sometimes it freezes when it's not in the heat.
    10-18-2013 12:12 PM
    So, I hard reset my phone with GDR3, and the screen froze all night long till I put it in the fridge. It freezes, but only when it's in the heat. I need to open it up and see what is inside. I have no idea what it is, because sometimes it freezes when it's not in the heat.
    likely the driver for the touch screen has some heatsink that comes loose... Would be very interested to see pics if you open up and notice anything... Then again I am sure Nokia knows exactly what the issue is, plenty warranty returns of phones with this exact issue
    10-20-2013 08:23 PM
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing, but it's not a driver (that's a piece of software that makes the touchscreen function). I would send it back by my screen is cracked...

I do plan on purchasing a Nexus 5, or another phone so I can have a phone, then I will take apart the 928 and see what's up.
    10-25-2013 02:07 PM
    If your screen is cracked, you can get it replaced with deductible, if you have it insured. If not, sad to say you're going to have to shoulder the cost.

Typically, on just about anything else, I am not a proponent of extended warranties, as I used to administer them, and I know all of the ways that they try to get out of paying the claim. But with today's small devices, and the cost of replacement, I'm fairly neutral on them. I'm not opposed to them, but I'm also not a strong proponent. I think if you take good care, and are not a clumsy person, you can get by just fine without an extended warranty or insurance. But if you think there's a chance... Buy the policy. Myself, I bought the policy they push in the Microsoft Store, as it is around half the cost of the one from Verizon (but all up front instead of monthly), and the deductible is half that of Verizon's. First time I've ever broken a phone, it paid off.
    10-28-2013 09:50 AM
    Heat doesn't seem to be the problem. See main post, I edited it at the bottom to explain why.
    11-02-2013 07:01 AM
    I'm going to throw one more odd thing out there. Like someone else said earlier in the thread, it is happening on non-928 phones as well. My son had it happen to him on his HTC 8X. But here is the weird thing, his screen locked up immediately after he sent me a text and mine locked up when I received his text. If that is a coincidence, then it is one hell of a coincidence. I can't tell you what - if anything - this means but is was very odd.
    11-06-2013 02:29 PM
    It actually might be that the device isn't grounded properly? I have no idea.
    11-22-2013 02:02 PM
    I had two Nokia 928s and it happen to me on both phones customer service did not admit its a hardware issue only to say its a known issue and sent me another phone :(

Very upset with Nokia but i'm never going to buy another Nokia phone again
    01-27-2014 12:58 PM
    Just picked up a tip from the Tubes... He says it is a wifi problem. Just turned mine off and will post back results...
    They guy that made the video is obviously evil!
    01-27-2014 05:54 PM
    I was having the issue of periodic screen freezes on my 928. That problem went away when I set touch sensitivity to "Normal".
    01-27-2014 10:58 PM
    It actually might be that the device isn't grounded properly? I have no idea.
    Your last post was November...any update? Did you get a new phone? Did you tear down the 928?
    01-28-2014 07:43 AM
    I was having the issue of periodic screen freezes on my 928. That problem went away when I set touch sensitivity to "Normal".
    Mines has always been at normal so I know that won't do anything for me...
    01-30-2014 10:11 PM
    OK, I think I discovered 2 reasons why the screen will freeze. I have a feeling that there are multiple reasons that involve several things to happen for the screen to freeze which is why no one can pin the issue down.

1st Discovery - I found that when I disconnected my car bluetooth link with my phone while I woke the phone up or pressed the side buttons the phone froze (even the buttons). When I turned my car back on and the connection was re-established, my phone unfroze! Weird. Freeze type 1 maybe the culprit to a large portion of us who leave our bluetooth on and walk near devices that auto pair up with our phones. My phone froze about 3 or 4 times after turning off my car. It wasnt until this last time that it occurred to me to turn the car back on to see if the screen unfreezes.

2nd Discovery - If my phone freezes and I have to soft reset, 9 times out of 10 I have a new e-mail/message when the phone boots up. Coincidence? Maybe. There may be a problem with either the e-mail client or the data coming in that's confusing the phone and causing it to glitch. Maybe when there is data coming in, unpairing a bluetooth device will overload the OS. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe

Im pretty sure there are several other ways to freeze the screen but I've noticed mine usually happen under these two conditions. Many times I'll get the freeze with no bluetooth involvement but I'll have a message waiting for me when the phone boots up. Or visa versa. Keep a vigil eye on your phone and note everything that happens before the screen freeze and after the reset. If even one 928 owner can verify they notice the same set of circumstances for their screen freezes, we will be one step closer to figuring out this bug. Dunno if it matters but I have a 2010 prius with bluetooth nav.
    02-10-2014 10:40 PM
    I only get this infrequently, but screen freezes for me seem to be related to panning and zooming in maps. Most recently was trying to pan and zoom the map within Runtastic. Screen unfreezes after a good while (like half an hour). Maps usage is my only common theme. Drive+ seems fine.
    02-13-2014 04:25 PM
    I never have Bluetooth on (except when playing music through my home theater), that isn't a problem with me, but you may be on to the data part. I will put my phone into Batter Saver mode all the time, (The heart thing) and see what happens. I don't think that will affect anything though.
    03-15-2014 08:23 PM
    Sometimes my phone freezes on me when I touch my screen, but also my screen has to be wet.
    03-15-2014 08:24 PM
    Ight. My phone freezes no matter what. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE. IT WILL FREEZE. IMPOSSIBLE TO FIX.
    03-15-2014 09:01 PM
    Got my 928 in September 2013. Since then it has frozen maybe a total of 5 times. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It has not frozen once since I updated to the firmware update that Verizon sent out a couple of weeks prior to the Black update (I have done both updates). Hoping it is fixed but has not been a huge deal for me anyway thankfully.
    ziggy67 likes this.
    03-18-2014 02:05 PM
    After GDR3 my phone has been freeze free but after I dropped my phone my earpiece has been a little glitchy...FML.
    03-18-2014 02:08 PM
    I think that the issue is from the hardware. Cause i tested many times and all comes to freeze. When i first recevied the phone, it on WP8(150). Download apps like Facebook, Lock Srceen ... Games ... It run perfectly for the first two weeks. But when someone call me, it is the first time freeze the srceen and the other times come often. Soft reset for couple times worked! But just 2-3days it freezes again. I notice when put out from pocket (little warm the srceen), when run many apps(phone warm), even when i do nothing (normal heat phone) still freeze!
    And i install the DP from 8.1(899) to latest 8.1(200) still freeze like those sittuations above! I also have the 822 from VZW too but it has no issue like the 928 (from 8.0 to latest DP8.1(200))!
    08-26-2014 12:06 AM
    I had hardware issues with 3 different 928s. On the one I am currently using the screen would freeze daily. Maybe it's just my unit but I pretty much solved the problem by making sure the casing of the phone was completely together. If I apply a bit of pressure to the lower left of the screen sometimes the touchscreen starts working without a reset. I just click it back into place and it works
    09-05-2014 07:10 PM
48 12