Compass on 928?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems with their compass on the 928? Here+ City Lens says I don't have a compass. I tried d/l another compass app and it also said I didn't have a compass. Is there a util I can d/l that will check to make sure the compass is working correctly? I do NOT think this is a result of GD3. I think I noticed this prior to the upgrade.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it. I get a "problem" when I tap "sign in". And initially when I tried to see things on the AR screen, it wouldn't load any POIs. I uninstalled/reinstalled. While reinstalling, I looked in Drive and Maps, and it wouldn't sign in on either of those, either (and this is after GDR3 update, but without having restarted since the update). I restarted the phone, and both of those apps both have me signed in to Nokia now, but I still get a problem when I try to sign in to City Lens. The compass does work, though, after going through the calibration.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Hop, when I try to reinstall City Lens, it says I don't have the hardware for this app and it won't even let me install from the Store.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, it might have just been a glitch. I can d/l apps now. However, when I download any compass app, they say compass isn't detected. :-(

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The tech in me says that there's going to need to be a hard reset - either to fix the problem, or to prove that the problem isn't software so the phone can get replaced. :unhappy:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Go on the homepage, there is a free app Jack of all tools free today(for the next 24 hours)......It has a compass with other tools that seems to work pretty well on my 928..

palaudawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue and had to get a replacement from Verizon. I tried a hard reset but during the reset it got stuck on the spinning gears and never recovered. Search the 928 forum and you will find that a few other members had a similar issue.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I did a hard reset and the compass came back to life. Now the process re-load all my apps and get everything the way I had them before the reset. ;-)

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had all kinds of problems with my COMPAS every since the Amber update. It just refuses to calibrate, and a hard reset does nothing to fix it. I probably need to get it replaced, but I JUST made a warranty claim so I really don't feel like going through the process again. I guess I'll just have to suck it up, but this makes it impossible to use Photosynth, which is one of my favorite apps to show off. :(

Future Fossil

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine did the same thing. Any app dependent on a compass didn't work. It's most certainly a hardware issue. Mine was still under warranty. Verizon replaced it and I was back like new and set up again within 48 hours

Future Fossil

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well... all the major things, like app downloads and contacts came flying into the phone as long as you backed them up. Tweaking of the app settings and Start screen must be re-tweaked. My point is, if a variety of apps dependent on the internal gyroscope don't seem to be working, then you are certainly looking at a hardware problem and the phone will have to be replaced. Luckily, mine was still under warranty and I was satisfied at the speed in which Verizon replaced the phone..

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still under warranty as well, but they wanted me to do a hard reset first before replacing it. Hard reset resolved it. Wondering if this will happen again in the future and I should just replace it now while under warranty.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You've got plenty of time for the warranty, jlee. It won't expire until May 16, assuming you bought on launch day. Later if not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb