Light background?

mikeofthegarden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have their 928 with the light background? Everytime I switch to light, it always gives me a warning that there will be worse battery life. How big is the difference? Thanks.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it will take pretty much more when you use it, because normally the screen is a lot off the battery consumption, and since it is a amoled display, black pixels are turned off, and therefore use no power, but the white once take a lot off power.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am also wondering the same thing as OP. But I haven't tried the light background because I like the look of black a little bit better. But I do know that on BB10, the light theme does chew through the battery a lot faster than the dark theme.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've used both. Never really "tested" it so I can't be quantitative, but yeah the light background used more battery. It was noticeable, but not 20 times worse or anything. But then again, I think more of my battery is consumed from streaming iHeartRadio all the time.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Right, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a noticeable difference when using the white background.

Personally, the white looks a bit meh. IIRC, the 928 uses a Pentile display, so they tend to be a bit cooler than the RGB displays (white looks blue/greenish.) The colors pop better against the black too.

Anyway, it's tough to test properly because the background doesn't just affect the start screen, it also changes to colors of apps and the various menus. A white background will absolutely eat your battery more for the reasons stated above (black pixels in an AMOLED display draw no power), but it really depends on what you're doing as far as how much. You could fully charge the phone, and then perform a specific set of actions (let sit on home screen for 15 minutes, go into the settings menu, let sit for 15 minutes, go into an app, let sit for 15 minutes, etc) and see how much it drains. Charge it again, and repeat with the other background and see how it does. Put the phone in airplane mode to stop radio hunting from eating at the battery.

Either way, if you can get through the day with 50% or better of your battery life remaining, I'd imagine you wouldn't have any troubles with the white background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos