Lumia 928 no longer auto-rotates the screen; compass also seems off

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Really hey? So prox sensor would be responsible for: rotation, compass, games hub crashing, and long delays when opening Facebook and UC Browser? All are happening at the same time when it isn't working, and all work fine after a soft reset for a short period of time. I have ghost armor on my phone... Could that be it? Its over the prox sensor, perhaps its blocking it somehow?

parksy78

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Really hey? So prox sensor would be responsible for: rotation, compass, games hub crashing, and long delays when opening Facebook and UC Browser? All are happening at the same time when it isn't working, and all work fine after a soft reset for a short period of time. I have ghost armor on my phone... Could that be it? Its over the prox sensor, perhaps its blocking it somehow?

Thats what my post said and the nokia care report identified the prox sensor as faulty.

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the follow up. I tried looking for you post but couldn't locate it. I don't have warranty anymore so I'll look into fixing that piece. Thanks again.

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Any chance you can post a link to that post? I'm glad I have something to go on but I want to read your post for clarification. Having trouble believing the prox sensor affects the gyros and accellerometer (verified these aren't working with apps that check those sensors). Also hard to believe it affects the loading of apps like the games hub, but I'm hopeful this will fix it. My phones screen broke when dropped, so I may be able to steal the prox sensor from that phone. When I google the issues, I can't find anything showing the prox sensor would affect this. Thanks again!

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Brought my phone to a cell repair shop. Said my accelerometer is toast, so I suppose I need a whole new logic board! Guess the phone is staying how it is, not worth the money to fix that. So surprised this just started happening randomly.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Brought my phone to a cell repair shop. Said my accelerometer is toast, so I suppose I need a whole new logic board! Guess the phone is staying how it is, not worth the money to fix that. So surprised this just started happening randomly.

If you have a 928 it should still be under warranty, no? You should be able to trade it in for a replacement.

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Black update didn't fix it. I'm convinced its either moisture on the motherboard, or damaged sensors/ribbon cable. I've ordered the main flex cable on ebay and I'm going to heat it up to remove it from the PCB and then stick the new one on with 3M Conductive tape. I'll post results for those who are having this problem.

sockensuppe

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
"this" happens to my 925 to. Amber: all works fine. Black ota update: broken screen rotation, no accelerometer, force closed Nokia cam. Test it in "Test mode" with Nokia care software. 4 sensors failed. Auto brightness also gone. Softreset: same issues. Hardreset: same issues. Downgrade to amber: same issues. Hardreset fresh amber: works! Once again ota update to black: still works. If I install a new app I had to reboot the phone to keep it working. Not really a (the) solution. I set up a repair!

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting... I hard reset myself, no luck (before downloading any apps or doing anything, still failed on factory settings). Then brought it in for repairs and they "flashed" a new fresh rom on to it, still nothing.

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Personally, my issues started in amber before any black update. It really sounds like a software or firmware thing, but at this point I'm thinking it has to be hardware (either motherboard or flex cable)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You guys might also want to consider trying the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, described here on WPcentral. It was able to fix my wife's 928 after the Black update failed.

Bombfetish

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, recovery app did not fix my issue. Phone has now started hanging while entering many apps (camera, messaging) and often freezes completely. I believe its just biting the dust entirely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes