Advice with Bluetooth car stereo

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I need to replace my car stereo and figured I may as well get one that'd allow me to listen to music from my 928. RIght now I'm using an FM transmitter with my old iPod- can't wait to toss both of those things.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for, and what to avoid? It'd be most appreciated!

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I need to replace my car stereo and figured I may as well get one that'd allow me to listen to music from my 928. RIght now I'm using an FM transmitter with my old iPod- can't wait to toss both of those things.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for, and what to avoid? It'd be most appreciated!

There aren't any headsets that I know of that have any special features designed for WP8, but I do believe WP8 supports all the basic protocols for using your phone with a car stereo, so it's more what you want in the stereo than its ability to support the phone.

Incidentally, I'm looking to replace my head unit too, so I'm on the hunt. The below is one I've been eyeing:
Kenwood DDX470 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I plan on wandering into a local stereo shop, seeing what they have, and then testing it with my phone to make sure it does what I want. :)

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks, I didn't even think of going into a shop and just testing.

I'm not looking for anything awesome... my speakers are stock and I'm not putting anything more into this car than I absolutely have to. Heck, I've never even seen a stereo like the one you linked to... wooo is that amazing! :D

Basically, for me... as long as the music gets from point a to point b, I'll be happy with it.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks, I didn't even think of going into a shop and just testing.

I'm not looking for anything awesome... my speakers are stock and I'm not putting anything more into this car than I absolutely have to. Heck, I've never even seen a stereo like the one you linked to... wooo is that amazing! :D

Basically, for me... as long as the music gets from point a to point b, I'll be happy with it.

lol, yea, there are some fancy head units out there (and some that cost well into the thousands of dollars). I have a double din spot in my car, so I want to fill the whole thing (I'm also planning on adding a rear-view camera, it's hard to see behind me because of how the seats are designed, so the big screen is needed). There are cheaper ones that are single DIN (DIN is just the size of your old traditional car stereo) and have excellent bluetooth support too. Something like the below:
Kenwood KDC-BT555U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Just make sure the headunit supports all the bluetooth stuff you want (the phonebook download is a biggie, my stock headunit doesn't do that), and you should be good.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thousands! Yeah, I won't be going in that direction! :D

Thanks for that link. I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Bluetooth...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2191138 While it has good reviews, I still really don't know what's good or not. I never even heard about phonebook download. The JVC's description does mention it, though. May I ask why you'd want that? Aren't you still going to be getting information on your phone screen? I'm sorry for sounding like such a noob, but I guess I am! Totally new to this, and completely uneducated in it.

And I really appreciate you taking the time to talk. :)

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the jvc I have in my minivan, the mic is terrible and install was a pain. I also have a pioneer in my other vehicle that was a breeze to install and is way better. Cheap too. X700bt I think is the model.

papahood

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
as far as advice on what to look for, some of it depends on your car and what will fit. I have this jvc in my car and love it. I was able to find one on ebay for about 150...bluetooth works just fine on my 928. One thing to consider when looking for stereos with bluetooth is sometimes they come out with firmware upgrades to make things play better together. I've had to do one update and so far no issues with bluetooth and my phone ...hope that helps

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e..._-Car%2BVideo-_-9SIA3BC1260632&token=8vWi9IgP

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It does, thank you. I'm just learning, and knowledgable folks like you are always the best place to go. Can't really trust online reviews anymore, you know? :)

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I never even heard about phonebook download. The JVC's description does mention it, though. May I ask why you'd want that? Aren't you still going to be getting information on your phone screen? I'm sorry for sounding like such a noob, but I guess I am! Totally new to this, and completely uneducated in it.

That's correct, but it will also display everything on the stereo's display as well. This biggie is it makes it easier to call people by voice from the car without fumbling with your phone. I don't know of a stereo that can directly interface with Windows Phone's voice commands yet (I expect them to start showing up though), so without the phone book download, you typically have to manually setup the numbers into the stereo to use voice dialing. Being able to download the phone book saves tons of time during the setup phase.

Also, I have steering wheel controls in my car, so I prefer not having to pick up my phone. If your car has 'em, you can use 'em with an additional module. If not, most stereos offer a wired remote you can attach to the wheel or steering column.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for that explanation! It's very much appreciated. :)

Yup! I had to manually setup speed dials for the most called numbers in my car because it doesn't pull down the phone book, and it was maddening. It took me a half an hour to get 2 people's numbers in because the phone didn't like any of the things I'd say. They were either too close to another entry, or to a built in command.

Let us know what you settle on.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a car stereo that will download the address book from the 928 (GDR3)? It has only ever downloaded it ONCE, the VERY first time I sync'd it to the stereo and never since. I have a 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid with the upgraded stereo. Thanks!

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have a car stereo that will download the address book from the 928 (GDR3)? It has only ever downloaded it ONCE, the VERY first time I sync'd it to the stereo and never since. I have a 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid with the upgraded stereo. Thanks!

Did you read the manual? You may have to manually trigger it, or delete the phone and re-pair it.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you read the manual? You may have to manually trigger it, or delete the phone and re-pair it.

Yep. No way to trigger it.

Deleted the phone and tried to re-pair it. It works for all other functions just fine, it just won't d/l the address book.

I delete it and re-pair it after every major update hoping something will allow this to happen. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and live with it. Thanks.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Yep. No way to trigger it.

Deleted the phone and tried to re-pair it. It works for all other functions just fine, it just won't d/l the address book.

I delete it and re-pair it after every major update hoping something will allow this to happen. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and live with it. Thanks.

Lame. You can try sending the new contacts via bluetooth. Also might want to try resetting the stereo to factory settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte