Is the Nokia Lumia 928 plagued by problems?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my screen freeze once or twice. Had it for a few months now, all updates are installed. I love it. Won't change except for another Lumia with a bigger form factor.

IrishMcRock

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a few months, haven't had any issues at all. Really love the phone, have had several Iphone and Galaxy friends amazed by the pictures I've taken and the sharp look of the hardware asking whoa, what is that? Funny how little people know about this phone and Lumia in general. Too bad, don't think I could go back to those systems after using this.

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
System froze twice - the volume key on my phone is very recessed (have seen this on prior Nokia which I owned). Other than that no complaints. Battery, etc seems fine.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have one friend who was experiencing some freezing after GDR2. He set the default screen brightness from automatic to medium and it fixed that.

Three other friends that have the 928 are experiencing no problems at all.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love Nokia phones, while I would say the 928 is not 'plagued by problems,' it does have one specific problem that seems to affect most people including me.

Specifically, intermittently (think once every 1-2 weeks) the screen will become unresponsive/freeze and the phone will require a soft reset. It is a bit annoying, though not a deal breaker. I know three people who all have this problem, their phone works fine aside from this. The Nokia 822 on Verizon does not suffer from this issue.

Wow, thanks for speaking for "most people." Unfortunately unless your name happens to be "most people," you are only speaking for yourself. BTW, to reinforce the fact that your are relaying personal experience, I also own both a 928 and 822. The 928 has performed very well with no issues nor concerns whereas the 822 was so bad that I purchased the 928 and have eaten the cost of 822. Quite frankly the 822 ranks second only to the HTC TouchPto as the worst smart phone I have ever touched and, in fact, had every one of the OP's list and then a few more on top of them. It would really be nice if people would drop the "everyone" and "most people" blather and recognize they are speaking only for themselves.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you own a Nokia Lumia 928? Are you experiencing problems of ANY kind? Putting together an article (at Mobile Fanatics) about common problems that I keep seeing with this phone. I personally don't have it, but I know 3 people that do and aren't too happy.

A few that I'm seeing often:

• poor reception
  • poor bluetooth call quality
  • dropped calls
  • screen frozen and have to do three-finger trick
  • battery drain

But maybe it's not as widespread as I think it is.

Thanks for your interaction and to WPCentral for letting me ask your readers!

Lets see, so your choice of a first post is to ask if a phone is plagued by problems and ask if people have had ANY problems. You can't get much more open ended than "any" problems. As for my own experience, I have found it to be a stable phone with no more problems than any other on the market. To put that more bluntly, go to ANY forum and you will find people complaining about EVERY device. It is the nature of forums and the fact that mass production emphasizes quantity over quality for all manufacturers. You did not buy a hand built $300,000 super car, you have a mass produced phone. There will be a certain percentage of defects and/or defective units, which even the industry leader for satisfaction by a wide margin (Apple) acknowledges by stocking devices to do easy swap outs.

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Got my 928 in May. I had multiple freezing issues in August. Verizon replaced my phone in the beginning of September. I've had one screen freeze since then. All in all I've been pleased with my 928. I do wish Verizon had more WPs to choose from.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This screen freeze issue is extremely widespread huh? My gf has the same problem, and she hates the phone for it, so I've been meaning to help her call Verizon and get a warranty exchange. Seems like it might not do her any good. :/ Also, I've had a 920 for 12 months, and I've never had the screen freeze like hers does almost once a week.

edit: Does anyone actually have a 928 that has NEVER had the screen freeze?

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine has the issues of sometimes not being able to hear people I'm talking to unless my finger is pressed against the back of the phone and the speaker cutting in and out randomly. From what I hear it's due to loose wires in the phone. I'll be taking it back sometime soon to exchange it. The OS has been stellar for me for the most part.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This screen freeze issue is extremely widespread huh? My gf has the same problem, and she hates the phone for it, so I've been meaning to help her call Verizon and get a warranty exchange. Seems like it might not do her any good. :/ Also, I've had a 920 for 12 months, and I've never had the screen freeze like hers does almost once a week.

edit: Does anyone actually have a 928 that has NEVER had the screen freeze?

Me, but I've only had the phone for 5 days..

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Simple answer to the OP question. No. The Lumia 928 is not plagued with problems. Yes, there are problems out there, but many people have problem-free 928s. Just because there are problems does not mean that there is a plague of them.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The only issue I'm having is not being able to hear phone calls and I need to put it on speaker phone.

Does it work if you squeeze the upper right hand corner? I'll bet that it does. Even if it doesn't, I'll bet you have some give there.
The Nokia 928 has problems. Every phone does. This forum is full of us complaining, but that's because complainers go to the internet. I'd wager the vast majority of people have no issue.

But this speaker issue is somewhat serious. Clearly there's a usage flaw, since it's happened to me on every 928 I've had within 2 months. I'm really thinking it's something either with my front pocket being too tight, or it getting damaged when I put it in the pocket. But we're at the point that I'm costing the company a good amount of money with my constant replacements, even though I'm not dropping the phone and using it the same way I've used every phone all the way back to my StarTac.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The only problem I've had is the occasional battery drain. I haven't been able to link it to a specific application, though.

Lumia 928 - GDR3

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The only problem I've had is the occasional battery drain. I haven't been able to link it to a specific application, though.

Lumia 928 - GDR3

Something I've done to help track down battery drain problems is go into DataSense, and look at the detailed view, seeing what apps are using how much data. Often, not always, though, the case will be that apps that use a lot of data are the ones draining the battery. Of course, I expect MetroTube to use data - it streams videos. Things like that I filter out in my mind. But for instance an app that has no need for data, for what it does, that uses a lot of data, is probably doing something that I wouldn't want it to do, so I uninstall it, and see if that fixes the problem. Often it does. I also block background agents for apps that have no apparent need of them.

I asked the developer of Gas Buddy once what the purpose of a background agent was, because it was using a lot of data. I blocked the background agent because I see no need for Gas Buddy to even have one, and the problem went away. I never did get an answer from the developer. Apps like that, which I only need occasionally (I drive a hybrid - I only buy gas about 2-3 times a month), I see no need to allow a background agent.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My answer would be no. Prior to getting my black 928 on May 31st, I had 3 Thunderbolts and 3 Rezounds. Let's just say I had had enough of constant problems, HTC and android. I wanted something different and it wasn't going to be a fruit. Honestly the only thing that I've had is 2 screen freezes within the past month. I bought my phone outright to keep my grandfathered data. If I have to live with an occasional freeze, so be it!
Also, I'd like to say that this forum is mild in complaining compared to MANY others! I read multiple forums including Ifuit and even still look in on the Tbolt and Rez when I need a chuckle. From what I see there are far less problems with WP phones!

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Something I've done to help track down battery drain problems is go into DataSense, and look at the detailed view, seeing what apps are using how much data. Often, not always, though, the case will be that apps that use a lot of data are the ones draining the battery. Of course, I expect MetroTube to use data - it streams videos. Things like that I filter out in my mind. But for instance an app that has no need for data, for what it does, that uses a lot of data, is probably doing something that I wouldn't want it to do, so I uninstall it, and see if that fixes the problem. Often it does. I also block background agents for apps that have no apparent need of them.

I asked the developer of Gas Buddy once what the purpose of a background agent was, because it was using a lot of data. I blocked the background agent because I see no need for Gas Buddy to even have one, and the problem went away. I never did get an answer from the developer. Apps like that, which I only need occasionally (I drive a hybrid - I only buy gas about 2-3 times a month), I see no need to allow a background agent.
When I said "battery drain", I should have qualified it with the word "excessive". Occasionally, it will drain upwards of 30% in an hour, and get extremely hot, with the screen off. Most times I catch it early and soft reset. Other times, I oversleep in the morning. I'll check DataSense next time it happens, though.

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
After updating to GDR3, I had 2 instances where the lock screen froze or the screen was unresponsive and I could not swipe.
Both times I did soft reset and haven't seen that happen since.

There was a battery drain that was caused by a pinned HERE Commute app. Unpinned the app and the problem solved.

Batteries on these phones need to be conditioned. Recommend people get an app like HD Weather running with graphic and run the battery completely out, recharge, and do it again.
After doing that I have insane battery life.

I think an article ripping this phone would be unfair. Some have experienced manufacturer defects that Nokia or Verizon replaced (even if more than once).

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
My screen freezes often when im streaming over Bluetooth I generally have to reset it atleast 5-10 times a week atleast

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234