928 Dropped in Toilet

Andy49

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
After dropping my 928 in the toilet, I quickly picked it up and dried it with a paper towel. The screen was off but phone was on and I could not powezr it down.Next, I turned on the oven at 150F and put the phone in there with a cooking thermometer and left the oven door slightly opened. the max temp was 98F and I left it overnight. In the morning, I took it out of the oven and turned it on and it worked great. My question is, did I harm the phone in any way that would cause problems later on? I do have Insurance on the phone but I think it does not cover water damage. If I have any future problems, will the insurance deny the claim?

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to know with water damage sometimes. You may be fine or you may find 'glitchy' problems with it in the days/weeks to come. Just continue using it as you would do normally from now onwards and just keep on eye out for any random reboots, vibrate not working, speakers not clear etc. If you find after a couple of weeks it still works perfectly normal it's probably caused no lasting damage.

When going through insurance or repairs, some phones will have a little sticker inside and it changes colour if it has got wet, so the company repairing it knows if it has been exposed to water damage. Not sure if the 928 has a water indicator sticker though.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Depends on Nokia Care employees. Let's suppose that we are in mid-2014 and your built-in microphone has stopped to work properly, and callers can't hear you. You've decided to visit Nokia Care and here's the thing: even if microphone stopped to work, because some Chinese in factory has placed it wrong, and Nokia Care employee discovers that phone has been watered in the past, he/she might tell you that it's not working, because you've got it drowned in water ;)
As you already know sir, warranty doesn't cover water damage.
Really it depends on Nokia Care employee. :)

PS. Putting phone in the oven wasn't really smart dude. You should have left it turned off somewhere. Phone is constructed with plenty of very sensitive parts, some of them are very susceptible to humidity or heat. + you could have seriously worsen your battery life :p
well, hopefully not.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
PS. Putting phone in the oven wasn't really smart dude. You should have left it turned off somewhere. Phone is constructed with plenty of very sensitive parts, some of them are very susceptible to humidity or heat. + you could have seriously worsen your battery life :p
well, hopefully not.
Actually at that low level it wouldn't be a problem. The flow soldering process used to manufacture the boards runs at a higher heat level (so components and boards wouldn't be harmed), and that temperature wouldn't harm the glass, plastic, etc. Moderate heating like that WILL speed the evaporation process, and hopefully reduce the potential damage by other contaminants in the water.

He may still have issues creep back in -- time will tell. . .

Andy49

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
As far the insurance, I will head on down to the verizon store and talk to them honestly about keeping/dropping the insurance plan.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Man, I can't imagine my 928 in toilet)
You got lucky its still working. On the other hand we had here Lumia 800 that was dropped for 3.5 month in lake, and still working
NOKIA POWER!)

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I read that you are suppose to put your device in a bag of rice when it gets wet. The rice sucks the moisture out of everything.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Is it Verizon insurance or Best Buy insurance or somebody else? Not sure if Verizon's covers spills, but Best Buy's does. But if you tell them it was submerged they will hand it straight back to you. Now if you spilled a glass of water on it, that is covered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss