GDR3 for the 928

isdefective

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Has any heard when the gdr3 for the Verizon 928 is coming down? Is it even worth it? Is it going fix or make the phone better then it is now?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you read the article, and follow the link to the Windows Phone Developer Blog, all of the info is there. Beyond that, the only thing that may not be obvious is that the Windows Phone App Studio program is the one you should sign up for because it is free.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded my Nokia Lumia 928 to GDR3 last night. It took about 30 minutes to complete the process and I have since ran the phone through the gauntlet. I'm very pleased to report that I am having absolutely NO ISSUES! My battery life seems ok so far, phone calls work, receiving emails and text messages ok, all audio and video work perfectly - headphone jack, ear speaker and back speaker all function properly with no volume issues. Music app still SUCKS!, but it's working, despite the fact that it SUCKS! (Microsoft, surely you can revamp this app to be more user friendly! Why so hard to make or edit playlists?!) Camera functions properly and still takes great pictures. LOVE the ability to close apps now! Haven't tired "Driving Mode" yet, but don't really think I need it. My Honda works great for phone and text messaging via bluetooth. Tested the Nokia Drive app coming to work this morning and it still works flawlessly (so much better than any other phone out there! - MS, DO NOT get rid of this app!, and you should be advertising it as an asset to Windows Phone!) Voice commands, Lock screen, Rotation Lock, WindowsPhone Store, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (BETA) - all working perfectly! Now the only thing I'm waiting on is Nokia to release the Lumia Black firmware updates! Come on Nokia - we're waiting!

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded my Nokia Lumia 928 to GDR3 last night. It took about 30 minutes to complete the process and I have since ran the phone through the gauntlet. I'm very pleased to report that I am having absolutely NO ISSUES! My battery life seems ok so far, phone calls work, receiving emails and text messages ok, all audio and video work perfectly - headphone jack, ear speaker and back speaker all function properly with no volume issues. Music app still SUCKS!, but it's working, despite the fact that it SUCKS! (Microsoft, surely you can revamp this app to be more user friendly! Why so hard to make or edit playlists?!) Camera functions properly and still takes great pictures. LOVE the ability to close apps now! Haven't tired "Driving Mode" yet, but don't really think I need it. My Honda works great for phone and text messaging via bluetooth. Tested the Nokia Drive app coming to work this morning and it still works flawlessly (so much better than any other phone out there! - MS, DO NOT get rid of this app!, and you should be advertising it as an asset to Windows Phone!) Voice commands, Lock screen, Rotation Lock, WindowsPhone Store, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (BETA) - all working perfectly! Now the only thing I'm waiting on is Nokia to release the Lumia Black firmware updates! Come on Nokia - we're waiting!

I'm having an issue where my 928 is not going to 100% charge and if it does when I unplug it, it goes right to 96%. Do you think this update would help the phone?

Will 74

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That's NOT an issue, that's what is supposed to happen. If you the phone kept charging at 100% it would kill the battery. Once the phone is completely charged to 100% the charging stops. Your phone then starts using battery down to a certain point and recharges again. My phone reports anywhere from 96% to 100% when I pull it off the charger. That is completely normal, now if it runs down really fast to 50% or so then you would have an issue. Every phone I've ever had has done this.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I talked to Nokia and they said that shouldn't happen, as well as Verizon. I've charged every phone I've had overnight and they all come off charge at 100%, android or IOS. Just think its weird that it will sit at 93% in stead of something higher like 96-98%

Will 74

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If its going right to 93% that seems odd, did you try a hard reset? I know on some older android phones this would happen and if you were running CWM you had the option to reset battery stats while in recovery.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yea I factory reset and soft reset. This morning I unplugged it when it said 100% within 20 mins it was at 90% now since then the battery has been ok, not great just ok. I haven't really used it much and its down to 78% unplugged it at 5am its now 1:15pm

Will 74

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes that seems quite bad compared to what I get out of this phone. Maybe its a buggy app that is sucking the juice? Does your phone get warm? It seems unlikely that Verizon would replace it, but it is worth a try. I think this phone is definitely above average compared to other phones I've used when it comes to battery life. Good luck with it I hope you find an answer.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Yea I have a replacement on the way. Hopefully the next one is better with battery and cell service. I really love the camera but I need a phone that can handle 12+ hours of average use

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Can't really answer that, but the only issue I had when I upgraded was on the initial charge, my phone battery drained extremely fast. Battery hardly lasted me a whole day. I began to worry. Then I read somewhere that I should allow the battery to drop down to below 10% and then fully charge it. After I did that, my battery actually lasts LONGER now than it did before the update. Other than this one issue which is now fixed, I have not had a single problem with my Lumia 928. Receiption is excellent, speaker volume is awesome. Start, restart, shutdown, all work perfectly. Would recommend the following. 1.) Be sure to have your phone plugged into the charger when you begin the process of upgrading. This makes sure you have power and won't run into any battery issues. 2). After the upgrade, run a lot of videos, game,s etc. and get your batter down to below 10%. 3) Fully charge your phone to 100% without interrupting the charge, (i.e., use the charging cable that way if someone should call, you can answer the phone without having to lift it off the wireless charger and interrupt the charge. Enjoy GDR3! I surely am!

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's NOT an issue, that's what is supposed to happen. If you the phone kept charging at 100% it would kill the battery. Once the phone is completely charged to 100% the charging stops. Your phone then starts using battery down to a certain point and recharges again. My phone reports anywhere from 96% to 100% when I pull it off the charger. That is completely normal, now if it runs down really fast to 50% or so then you would have an issue. Every phone I've ever had has done this.

NO! This is NOT normal! I had this same issue on GDR2 and upon researching this on the web I found the following helps. \
1) Run you battery down to below 10% (you can even run it down until it shuts itself down).
2) Fully charge the battery using the plug in cable (NOT THE WIRELESS CHARGER!) uninterrupted (best to do this overnight so less likely you would receive a phone call).

This reconditions the battery so it will have a full charge and should fix the problem. It worked for me.
When I upgraded to GDR3 this issue happen again. I ran this senario and it fixed the battery issue again. Battery is working fine, charges to 100% and I typically can go 2 days without charging. Not sure why this happens, but the fix worked for me. Hope it helps you guys out too.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I ran it down till it shut off last night. Charged it overnight while I slept using the Nokia OEM charging cable. It was at 100% when I unplugged it. 10 minutes later after my shower it was at 90% then on my 15 minute ride to work I had a 10 minute phone call and after that the battery is at 79%. I think my battery is done. Can't wait to get my replacement today. Hopefully the replacement will be ok and last at least 12-14 hours with average to moderate use

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Good my replacement device and the battery on the replacement device is amazing!!! Unboxed it at 80% used it for a whole day till it need recharged!!! I'm super happy now

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I installed GDR3 last night. Aside from some confusion in the process it all went smoothly. I didn't realize that what you got when you got the download from Microsoft is not GDR3. It's a program that downloads and installs it, and it doesn't execute until you go the the all apps list, find and launch it. After that it was just a matter of signing in and waiting. The only thing I really wanted was the ability to lock screen rotation! That works now, so I'm happy. Battery seems about normal, but while I thought the 928 was awesome on battery, I now have a Moto X to compare it with, and it's nowhere near as good as a Moto X running Kit Kat. If I don't play with the Moto it will stay at 100% charge for hours. Still, GDR3 is a very worthwhile update.

And apropos of nothing, Kindle is fixed! FINALLY!!!!!!! There was also a Looney Tunes update, but IDK what that was about :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle