Tethering

dmill74

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Why dont we have more third party tethering apps so unlimited data users can take full advantage of there data plan without having to pay Verizon a extra 20 bucks. Is there a hardware issue that prevent third party tethering apps to be made like the ones found on android?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
There's an app that can proxy cellular internet to any computer on the same WiFi network, and any network adapter made in the last few years supports windows 8 built in WiFi hotspot.

So you can turn your computer into a WiFi hotspot, connect your phone, and point the proxy settings on your devices to the phone's IP.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Really, what you're talking about is theft. Yes, I know the arguments about how you're paying for the data, and you should be able to use it however you want, but you agreed to a contract with Verizon, and that contract doesn't include tethering, which is a service they allow, without paying a fee. To take that service without paying for it is theft.

Yes, I agree with the notion that you should be able to use the data how you want, but the fact is that Verizon doesn't, and since you agreed with them on the terms of the contract, whether you read them or not, the contract is binding. Taking something without paying for it is stealing. The alternative is to go to a carrier that does allow you to do this without an extra charge.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Really, what you're talking about is theft. Yes, I know the arguments about how you're paying for the data, and you should be able to use it however you want, but you agreed to a contract with Verizon, and that contract doesn't include tethering, which is a service they allow, without paying a fee. To take that service without paying for it is theft.

Yes, I agree with the notion that you should be able to use the data how you want, but the fact is that Verizon doesn't, and since you agreed with them on the terms of the contract, whether you read them or not, the contract is binding. Taking something without paying for it is stealing. The alternative is to go to a carrier that does allow you to do this without an extra charge.

This is America, where any cellular service worth having is owned by a sadistic co-monopoly of penny pinchers with business practices like "charge more for the same service when possible and cut every conceivable corner when expanding the network".

Here in the US we have the most expensive, draconian cell phone contracts, slowest speeds, and worst customer satisfaction of the entire first world.

Tethering traffic is near indistinguishable from smartphone traffic these days- they can't detect it, they can't tell the difference. Why the hell should I give them more money to set up a hotspot every now and again? Is the usage of my allotted 2GB/mo somehow more stressful to their network when used by PC? No. Is the hotspot software a convenience thing they provide for you? Hell no! Every phone in the world could do it before they locked it down to try and force people to sign up for their ridiculous extra charges.

Nothing is being stolen. I've been allotted a certain amount of data (even "unlimited" is limited mind you), and they make sure I can only use that amount of data, which is fair. But charging a premium price for certain types of data is a slap in the face to the concept of net neutrality, and should be subverted by every single user to send the message that this type of practice is *not going to be tolerated*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

If ISPs can treat certain types of data differently, Verizon can then limit Netflix traffic to make the service less functional than it's own product, which I believe is fios. Doesn't stop there- many ISPs are combatting net neutrality so they can charge web hosts a fee for the "privilege" of allowing users to access the site. Sounds fun doesn't it? Taxing web sites to allow user traffic, so profit can be made from all bandwidth. That means for example, Netflix would have to pay a tax to deliver service to Verizon customers, and even if Netflix is more popular than fios, Verizon profits from it. Why would it stop there? The next logical step would be to have tiers of taxes- exceed 1,000 visiters to your site/service and you have to pay further to allow more traffic!

I'll stop painting the dystopian future. Tethering violates net neutrality. The contract is BS. Don't add to this precedent of "net neutrality doesn't apply here though".

Good day.

dmill74

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Android Verizon customers are allowed to use third party for tethering (aka internet sharing) and some have the same plane I have. It was in the article that was published by the FCC. I also spoke to a Verizon customer services rep and she said for android or windows phone that it was legal to tether with out being charged the extra 20 bucks using a third party app. Again android has these apps and you can use a android phone to tether to a tablet(my wife has a android and she uses her phone with a legal third party app to share internet to her tablet and it is totally legal via Verizon and the FCC. So is there a hardware limitation for our window 8 phones or is there some type of security function in our lumias that prevent our phones from being a hotspot using a third party app. TetherX is ok but not like the android internet sharing apps. Just asking not thieving. I'm going to buy a windows 8 tablet and I'm tempted to buy a note 3 just to tether to it but I lo e my 928 and looking forward to the 929. I'm just trying to understand why our developer's hasn't made a app that can make our phone a hotspot without the carriers software it is legal

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This is America, where any cellular service worth having is owned by a sadistic co-monopoly of penny pinchers with business practices like "charge more for the same service when possible and cut every conceivable corner when expanding the network".

Here in the US we have the most expensive, draconian cell phone contracts, slowest speeds, and worst customer satisfaction of the entire first world.

Tethering traffic is near indistinguishable from smartphone traffic these days- they can't detect it, they can't tell the difference. Why the hell should I give them more money to set up a hotspot every now and again? Is the usage of my allotted 2GB/mo somehow more stressful to their network when used by PC? No. Is the hotspot software a convenience thing they provide for you? Hell no! Every phone in the world could do it before they locked it down to try and force people to sign up for their ridiculous extra charges.

Nothing is being stolen. I've been allotted a certain amount of data (even "unlimited" is limited mind you), and they make sure I can only use that amount of data, which is fair. But charging a premium price for certain types of data is a slap in the face to the concept of net neutrality, and should be subverted by every single user to send the message that this type of practice is *not going to be tolerated*.

Net neutrality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If ISPs can treat certain types of data differently, Verizon can then limit Netflix traffic to make the service less functional than it's own product, which I believe is fios. Doesn't stop there- many ISPs are combatting net neutrality so they can charge web hosts a fee for the "privilege" of allowing users to access the site. Sounds fun doesn't it? Taxing web sites to allow user traffic, so profit can be made from all bandwidth. That means for example, Netflix would have to pay a tax to deliver service to Verizon customers, and even if Netflix is more popular than fios, Verizon profits from it. Why would it stop there? The next logical step would be to have tiers of taxes- exceed 1,000 visiters to your site/service and you have to pay further to allow more traffic!

I'll stop painting the dystopian future. Tethering violates net neutrality. The contract is BS. Don't add to this precedent of "net neutrality doesn't apply here though".

Good day.

AND.. most of here probably agree with you (as I do), but MS, like Apple, locks down the store to apps that can be considered stealing, and according to the document you signed to use their service, it would be stealing. I have tethering on my contract and it works great with no issues, but I'm also paying for it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Net neutrality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good day.
If you read what I wrote, you'd see that I did say that I agree with the arguments. I'm on your side. But as for the legality of it, you're just plain wrong.

Android Verizon customers are allowed to use third party for tethering (aka internet sharing) and some have the same plane I have. It was in the article that was published by the FCC. I also spoke to a Verizon customer services rep and she said for android or windows phone that it was legal to tether with out being charged the extra 20 bucks using a third party app. Again android has these apps and you can use a android phone to tether to a tablet(my wife has a android and she uses her phone with a legal third party app to share internet to her tablet and it is totally legal via Verizon and the FCC. So is there a hardware limitation for our window 8 phones or is there some type of security function in our lumias that prevent our phones from being a hotspot using a third party app. TetherX is ok but not like the android internet sharing apps. Just asking not thieving. I'm going to buy a windows 8 tablet and I'm tempted to buy a note 3 just to tether to it but I lo e my 928 and looking forward to the 929. I'm just trying to understand why our developer's hasn't made a app that can make our phone a hotspot without the carriers software it is legal
I don't think I'd take the word of a Verizon Customer Service Rep on legal matters. The fact is that it is theft, but Android apps work to enable use without detection, so they're not caught. That doesn't make it legal - it just makes it possible.

AND.. most of here probably agree with you (as I do), but MS, like Apple, locks down the store to apps that can be considered stealing, and according to the document you signed to use their service, it would be stealing. I have tethering on my contract and it works great with no issues, but I'm also paying for it.
It is also part of my plan, and I do pay for it.

I've already said it, but I'll say it again. I agree with those who say there shouldn't be an extra charge for tethering, but just because I agree with something doesn't make it law. Some people think marijuana should be legal, but it isn't (in most of America, anyway). We don't have the luxury, or the chaos created by, the ability to make up laws as we choose. We elected people to do that for us. If you don't like it, do something about it other than whine on a message board that doesn't have any ability to change it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon