The Big switch ---

dnomadic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay -- So I had a thread a while back ("I AM IMPRESSED - Move from Android") where I made the switch from Android to WP8, unfortunately I switched to T-mobile and got hooked up with a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 (1-week) --- Now that I am back on Verizon I moved to a Note 3 (1-week). Of course I was not satisfied so I moved back to my old friend prior to leaving Verizon the Nokia 928 (YAY!!).

So here is my issue... One of the things that I like about Android were all the G-APPs (Gmail, Google plus, Google drive, cloud productivity apps, you tube etc.). I want to wean myself off of these and immerse myself in the windows environment so that I am not tempted to go back as I love the WP8 OS above the three other great platforms (Blackberry 10, I-OS, and Android). This morning I finally discovered Skydrive (haven't dived into it yet) I would love for someone to speak of their experience transitioning from the G-APPS environment to Skydrive and Micro-Apps. I also wouldn't mind hearing about skydrive and Micro-apps utility from those that have never experienced the switch.

I appreciate all that you all may be able offer this "noob"

(Can't wait to get my Lumia 2520 --- anyone want to buy a Mint condition Verizon Ipad 4 (retina display) with Otterbox?)

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I switched from ios and android as well. I first started out by leaving Gmail and switched to outlook, best move right there. My outlook account gets far less spam and its nicely laid out. As far as navigation, I use Nokia drive beta, with the others idk. I rarely use cloud service networks other than dropbox.

lumianut

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
SkyDrive is awesome. It automatically syncs your photos and videos and you can install a desktop app on your main PC so your SkyDrive account shows up as a click able folder in your windows libraries. You can also play music saved in your SkyDrive from your phone. Also, the 10 bucks a month for Xbox music is well worth it imo as you can have it active on 4 different devices. Playlists, history, etc would sync between your 928, future 2520, Zune if you use it in win7 or Xbox music on win 8.1, etc.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know anyone used G+, FB would be the replacement. You Tube is you tube, no other alternatives, but watching videos on the phone is easy, I don't use it for any uploading or content creation so I can't speak to that. Nokia Drive + is great (though likes to use a lot of small roads when you are out in the boonies) and has offline maps. Gmail you can sync just fine with imap if you don't mind slight delays in receiving, or you can forward to an outlook.com account. I personally just use both separately and it works fine for me, contacts, calendars are sync over imap with out issue.

dnomadic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I like G+ for searching for blog post (although it can be littered with junk) is there something like that available from windows (Facebook not an option, I never got into social sites)

Didn't know anyone used G+, FB would be the replacement. You Tube is you tube, no other alternatives, but watching videos on the phone is easy, I don't use it for any uploading or content creation so I can't speak to that. Nokia Drive + is great (though likes to use a lot of small roads when you are out in the boonies) and has offline maps. Gmail you can sync just fine with imap if you don't mind slight delays in receiving, or you can forward to an outlook.com account. I personally just use both separately and it works fine for me, contacts, calendars are sync over imap with out issue.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
you can create a tile as a shortcut to the website for G+ or what ever blog you are using. The web browser on this phone is about the best I've used. (admittedly, I haven't used the latest iterations of chrome mobile or safari mobile, but it beats the old versions). I can even get into my ticketing and CRM app if I choose desktop version, I can log in like I was on my PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss