Shutting down Apps on 928

windows928

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
How does one turn off or shut down an app on the 928? I have been turning off the phone entirely but I can't believe there isn't a simpler way. Also, I notice when you hold your finger on the back arrow, the screen shrinks but I can't figure out what the purpose of that is. Any insight would be appreciated.

Selfie13

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Long press back button like u have already done before, this shrinks the apps, like u mentioned, and shows u all apps that are open (I say open, but actually that's not true. All apps u see that appear to be open are actually suspended in the background) You can swipe left or right to pick an app to resume from where u left off, and now all other apps are suspended, this is multitasking in WP OS. To close an app, you should see a X in the top corner of each app once you long press the back key. If you do not see this option, then you need to update your phone to the latest version of WP8, just search the forums if you dont know how or need help figuring out which version of WP your running.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Tapping/holding the back button shows you the back stack - that list of up to seven apps that you've left in the background. These apps are not running, as Windows Phone does not allow apps to run in the background other than apps that use background audio or location aware apps. So they're not running, not using CPU cycles, nor battery, nor data, but they are still in memory. You can tap/hold back, swipe over to an app that you'd left in the background, and it will open as it was when you left it.

Here's a post that explains it more in depth.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To close an app, you should see a X in the top corner of each app once you long press the back key. If you do not see this option, then you need to update your phone to the latest version of WP8, just search the forums if you dont know how or need help figuring out which version of WP your running.
Depending on which phone he has, and which carrier, he may be on the latest version available for his phone, unless he signs up for the Preview for Developers.

windows928

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I do not have the x in the upper right corner so I may not have the most current version but on the other hand, my phone (928) is set to update automatically.
The annoying issue is when I'm in audio apps. They linger for a long time and often I see the play button at the top of the screen, sometimes accidientally hitting it.
Example is My Music and police scanner.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, you don't have GDR3 yet, which is where the X comes from on the back stack. That update has not been pushed out to the general public yet for the 928 - there have only actually been a couple phones receive it out in the wild so far. But Microsoft announced the Preview for Developers program, and with that you can get it now if you'd like.

Yes, that's a known issue but by design, obviously, with the media playback. You can get rid of it by using an app such as Stop the Music.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
When you hit start, the app stops running. It uses exactly zero CPU cycles. The only thing different between that and hitting back is that if you hit back, it is no longer in the back stack, and will be a fresh launch when you want to run it again.

The only exceptions are background audio and location tracking apps.

windows928

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
OK Thanks again. To show my utter stupidity, I don't see any "start" button. Where is that? Funny, when I hit the back arrow and the screen gets smaller, I see it there on the lower left.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The annoying issue is when I'm in audio apps. They linger for a long time and often I see the play button at the top of the screen, sometimes accidientally hitting it.
Example is My Music and police scanner.

Keep in mind, the phone is also a MP3 player, replacing the Zune. With this in mind, the player functions at the top of the screen are for that purpose. It makes playing your music easier.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
When you hit start, the app stops running. It uses exactly zero CPU cycles. The only thing different between that and hitting back is that if you hit back, it is no longer in the back stack, and will be a fresh launch when you want to run it again.

The only exceptions are background audio and location tracking apps.

Then how does internet explorer keep running?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Could you explain why you think IE keeps running?
I've never experimented to see if I thought it actually did, which is why I didn't come out and say that it doesn't... But I do know that it will play HTML5 audio without being in the foreground, if you're playing from IE.

That said, I've never seen anything that made me think it runs in the background other than audio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion