New WP user

JimmyLeeLang

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both just got 928 phones yesterday. This is the first smartphone we have had, previous to this we just had prepay net 10 junky stuff. We recently got a dell venue 8 pro tablet and I have learned to love the windows 8 system syncs so well. I was kind of torn between getting an iphone and this, but since everything else I have ever had was windows, and I am really learning to love win8 then I went with this. the frustrating part is despite the fact the wp numbers are growing it is the last thing they will sell you in the stores usually. A friend of mine that sells for verizon said they wouldn't sell a wp to their worst enemy. I pointed out that on verizonwireless website the iphone and the 928 have about the same rating 4.3 Anyways love this phone so far.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WP community. Most sales persons are like that, one tried to tell me that WP has lot of viruses & lagged uncontrollably and that using it is a nightmare. Then he showed me a Micromax $150 Android phone as an alternative. I laughed at him. These sales persons are one of the reasons for slow adoption of WP in the market. Thankfully most of my friends are using WP because of me... ;-)

JimmyLeeLang

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I did my whole order online and then picked it up in the store. The manager was actually somewhat knowledgeable about the 928 and talked about how the wp is a nice system. The sales guy getting my phones setup though seemed completely clueless. There was amazement at the fact that the phones were free. Wow that is a really good deal. I thought well don't you guys know this since it is verizon. I don't know maybe it was an online deal. Anyway these phones are awesome so far. I wanted the 929 but it seems it may be february for that now, so I went ahead. The main reason we got them is that we live in the boonies and our internet is terrible, yet we have LTE service out here. so we are using these as our only internet now.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm also new here. longtime Verizon customer with unlimited data I didn't want to lose. Bought the first LTE phone, the HTC Thunderbolt, the day it was released (march 2010) and have been using it ever since...but it has just become pathetically slow.

Was waiting for the 929 (Icon) but gave up. Hadn't heard great things about the 928 so didn't want to drop $400 on it. Thought of an 822 but looked slow and with bad screen/camera. Then went on ebay and found a 928 with a "cracked screen" for $89. Turned out that the "crack" was on the lower-left hand side of the phone, not the visible screen part. Bargain! So I picked it up at half the cost of a "good" used 928 or a quarter of the cost of a new phone.

So far I have been very pleasantly surprised. I am an enthusiastic Surface Pro user, so I knew all about the tiles & such, but I was really worried about not being able to find apps. But to my delight i'm not wanting for anything except maybe the step-counter/pedometer mode on Endomondo. Facebook/Twitter/Instagram are there, as was Tripit (surprise!) and others. The only app I use regularly but could not find is Strava for cycling, but it turns out that the developer of Cyclometer managed to enable Strava uploads. problem solved!

Coming from Android, everything seems much more refined and less hacky (though I should say that I was on 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, before Project Butter). Notifications could be better, but it's not a huge problem. My only real gripes are

1. no Swype-type keyboard
2. no easy toggle for data-plan tethering
3. voice interaction is a bit limited - doesn't understand "comma", can't launch navigation by voice. ironic since I used to work at Tellme, the voice recognition company MSFT acquired
4. MSFT is much to prescriptive about what you have to use wifi for. updates, map downloads, movies, only download over wifi. videos and high-quality pictures upload only over wifi. I have unlimited data and should be able to use it as I like. this is annoying.

now, on to my more pleasant surprises
* Glance rocks! I don't wear a watch and probably pull the phone out 100x per day to check the time. love this.
* double-tap to wake the screen is also cool, though a little thirsty it seems, and the power-button placement makes it easy enough that I may switch off this feature. wish I could skip the lock screen however
* WIRELESS CHARGING HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT THIS!!!!!
* xbox video, just released this week. now I can watch Tron Legacy all day long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs