928 owners, will you move on to the 929?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
As the title says. Moved on from my Trophy to the 928 in June last year. Hardware wise, I'm pretty happy with it. The camera has basically replaced our point and shoot for me, while I would love the higher megapixel count for "zooming" purposes, the 928 takes nice shots already. I think the flash downgrade would bother me as well, the xenon (barring correctable WB issues) flash is amazing when called for.

Otherwise, it sounds like no microSD card slot, maybe an FM radio, bit faster, bigger, heavier, and larger battery. The Trophy had such a terrible camera that this was a huge leap forward, but the 929 is more like a half step forward.

Heck, improved music handling /syncing (bring back Zune!) would fix my main complaint with the 928. Assuming we get WP 8.1, I should be pretty happy.

Thoughts?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I got my 928 in May and I'm still happy with it. I plan on sticking with it until the end of my contract and then seeing what's available. I like the 929 but I don't see it as a must have at full price.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I would if I had the receipt) I paid full price for my 928 (no contract) and can't find its box (receipt was in it). Why I would? Because I'm afraid to end up having a brick, L928 is know having alot of problems, and I myself had them alot (freezing, restarting, and recently apps not opening)

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Probably so at some point....got my 928 in July and my unit has been solid - apart from the "gunk" capacitive buttons. With the amount of reading I'm finding myself doing, I think the larger screen would be nice.

Tossing around the idea of getting a 2520 through work. I currently just upgraded an older Samsung Slate 7 tablet to Win 8.1. Its nice, but its heavy and needs power regularly. If I do pull the trigger on the 2520, I would probably hold off on the 929 for a while. Stupid thing is, I don't want to get the 2520 until the keyboard cover is available, and who knows when that will be....

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the 928, myself. The only thing I really want is more storage or a slot, and the bigger camera. I'd really like the 41 MP camera of the 1020, so I'm willing to wait a little longer before I give up and give in on the 929. I'm still hoping for a 1020 variant. That and the 928 is big enough for me. If the 1020 variant comes larger, I'll probably get it, but at this point I really am not wanting a 5" screen.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Since we have waited so long for the still invisible 929, I might wait until the 930 rumors start. That way, I know it will be many months before the 930 hits the street and it would be safe to get the 929. Sarcasm? Of course it is.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Good points by all.

Upgrade or retail price obviously plays a part. Got mine using my wife's line, and I kept my unlimited data as well. Have an upgrade coming up this year, but unless they have a *glitch* like they did earlier this year, will probably try to avoid using it.

I also hold out hope for a 1020-esque camera coming to Verizon. The 929 should have something similar to our little Canon P&S, but that has optical zoom, better glass, and (I presume) a slightly larger sensor still. And for all that, it doesn't take much better shots than my 928. Now, something with the insanity of the 1020 sensor, would give me something different.

Otherwise I also see it as mostly incremental upgrades -- sure, 1080p is better than 720p, but are my eyes gonna notice? The quad core might help loading apps a hair faster, maybe some stray processing duties a bit faster, but not as noticeable as going from a single core to a dual core is.

Of course, this is all battling my inherent "I want the shiny" tendencies, so who knows??!?! :wink:

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Too big. Wanted one that easily fit my pocket, but the 928 is just a bit big for that. Love the phone, but the quirks drive me nuts at times...

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
If my contract was up I would definitely upgrade to get the better camera and larger screen. However since I still have a year and a half left, I'm happy enough with the 928 to stick with it especially since I got such a great deal on my monthly cost.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure at this point. No contract. As there is no expandable storage, it's a problem for me unless 64gb models are common place, an we know that one happen. 32gb is good but, just at that point where I can't put a lot of music or videos on my phone with out worrying about running out of space or not being able to install an app.

I am planning at this point to stick with the 928 till a more storage and about the same camera is being released or if the 929 comes at a really good price that I can't turn down...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 928 since launch day. For me, it's been rock solid and I am HARD on phones. It goes with me on SAR missions and is a backup to my stand alone GPS. I've used it in conditions down to -30F. I've used it from sea level to 14K+ feet. It has been with me through all those travels. In all that time, I've only had to do ONE hard reset. That's it.

That being said, I don't think I will change out my phone for the for seeable future due to one main reason. I HATE the larger size phones!!!! Honestly, I want something I can hold in ONE hand and used it securely. I DONT want to HAVE to use 2 hands. Mind you, I don't have small, girly hands. I'm just doing ALOT sometimes and would rather just one hand the phone than to have to engage BOTH hands for secure usage. In my opinion, the device should be out of the way and an innocuous piece of tech, not something you have to plan where you keep it on you.

That's just my opinion though.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i've had my 928 since launch day. For me, it's been rock solid and i am hard on phones. It goes with me on sar missions and is a backup to my stand alone gps. I've used it in conditions down to -30f. I've used it from sea level to 14k+ feet. It has been with me through all those travels. In all that time, i've only had to do one hard reset. That's it.

That being said, i don't think i will change out my phone for the for seeable future due to one main reason. I hate the larger size phones!!!! Honestly, i want something i can hold in one hand and used it securely. I dont want to have to use 2 hands. Mind you, i don't have small, girly hands. I'm just doing alot sometimes and would rather just one hand the phone than to have to engage both hands for secure usage. In my opinion, the device should be out of the way and an innocuous piece of tech, not something you have to plan where you keep it on you.

That's just my opinion though.

cap?

grunge100

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Got mine in late October from ebay, no complaints with the phone and got to keep my unlimited data. The only way I am upgrading is if they get a 1020 variant for Verizon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb