Lumia Black Update

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I see where the 820 and 920 with ATT&T status has changed to coming soon, maybe the verizon phones will soon follow

DonnieV

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
the 928 update was probably just a pre-update update to get our phones ready for black. My guess is that black will be pushed out either monday next week or the week after.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
  1. Verizon does not make policies with their customers "feelings" in mind. VZW will never disclose the release date of a phone. VZW will never disclose the release date of a software update.
  2. If you are a Verizon customer who paid for a phone, you have full rights to the latest version of software that supports that phone. Check out the FCC rules and regulations for telecommunication companies like Verizon.
  3. As a Verizon customer, you are entitled to your software update the day Microsoft or Nokia releases it. As it was explained to me by Microsoft with the GDR2 release: if you don't have an update notification on your Nokia device, contact the FCC at www.fcc.gov/complaints.
  4. In 2013, I filed my GDR2 complaint with the FCC against Verizon. While I lend it more to ironic timing, GDR2 was ready for my phone within 7 days. 10 days later, Verizon called to confirm that I got my update based on my complaint.
  5. If Verizon is going to sell a device, it is their responsibility to support the device on a timely basis. The issues of "testing on our network" is not our problem. It is up to Verizon to seek earlier beta or release copies of software updates to test within a reasonable timeframe. Failure to do so will result in Verizon receiving fines from the FCC based on complaints that are filed.
  6. The FCC Complaint Website is also a handy tool for addressing Verizon billing problems, failure to reimburse, poor connectivity issues, and the data plan game that they are all so famous for (sell you a new phone with a short data plan - then when you go over your data, you end up with a data bill the same size as your phone bill).
  7. There is no reason to feel like Verizon has any kind of stranglehold on you. You are the customer. You have rights. You have choices. You have the responsibility of educating yourself on what your options are with each carrier. While US carriers have more control over phone hardware than you see overseas, you still have a number of rights - and the FCC is there to back you up to make sure you get what you paid for.

So if you think GDR3 and Black are late due to Verizon (which it is), take the time to file your complaint. Sitting on a Verizon Forum arguing about Verizon is just what they want you to do. Negative or positive press is still press. Let the FCC hit them in the pocketbook if they are not going to make support of their line of Windows Phones a priority.

papahood

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting fredd...based on everything you have said have you filed a complaint about the update?..and if so what category does it fall under?

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I found this on a thread in the Verizon site. I put it on here to see what other people thought about it. I would like the update but i can wait. Ive heard of some models of phones that have had issues with it. Maybe Verizon is just making sure there arent any bugs. we will probably never know

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I did not read the whole thread, but GDR3 and Lumia Black are 2 different updates,,,, GDR3 from MS and Black comes from Lumia
You may get GDR3 first, VZ still hasn't released Black.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I did not read the whole thread, but GDR3 and Lumia Black are 2 different updates,,,, GDR3 from MS and Black comes from Lumia
You may get GDR3 first, VZ still hasn't released Black.

When Verizon approves the Nokia Black update (for the Lumia 928 and 822), Verizon subscribers with these phones will get both the Microsoft OS and Nokia Black firmware updates together.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I did get the update done but when I went to Download the Nokia Beamer and Storyteller it said it not available that It requires the black update.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I happened to have left wifi on after the "Amazing Weather HD" app needed it to download. Just looked at my phone and it's got 5 updates ready to install. When I had Androids, I generally regretted doing an update right away. I've had my black 928 since 5/31 and am hoping that it all goes well. I don't want to come back with any horror stories. I'm not one to root, or in our WP case install the developer version. I'd rather play it safe and wait for it to come to me. Spinning wheels are done, now it says almost done and it's on step 3 of 6. I wish eveyone and myself good luck with this!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I happened to have left wifi on after the "Amazing Weather HD" app needed it to download. Just looked at my phone and it's got 5 updates ready to install. When I had Androids, I generally regretted doing an update right away. I've had my black 928 since 5/31 and am hoping that it all goes well. I don't want to come back with any horror stories. I'm not one to root, or in our WP case install the developer version. I'd rather play it safe and wait for it to come to me. Spinning wheels are done, now it says almost done and it's on step 3 of 6. I wish eveyone and myself good luck with this!
Welcome to WP my friend and relax, updates for us is generally a painless, worry free process

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs