Lumia Black question

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what is in the Lumia Black update? Is it just a bunch of apps and a firmware update for your carrier? I am running GDR3 and now that a Nokia tech pushed me some touch panel updates my 928 works perfect. Is there a benefit to black? I see apps listed, but nothing that says I really need or want it. Of course I may be missing something and that is why I ask.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Glance screen notifications, the ability to change glance screen color in night mode. Also you need Black for apps like Nokia Beamer or Storyteller

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Black is the official release of GDR3 and firmware for all Nokia Lumia devices. It fixes a few issues and bugs and enables a few things. The main reason for firmware updates. I'm pretty sure you'll need to update to Black prior to getting WP8.1.

Keep in mind the firmware updates and the GDRs we received are only about fixing bugs and small improvements. It's not a full blown update.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok so just uncheck in preview and when Verizon sends out the update it should do it. Wonder if Verizon is going to take out the call block again. I hope not.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
lumia black.jpg

This is not encouraging, though consistent with VZW wanting to make the Icon look as appealing as possible (i.e., by not updating the 928)

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah they would wanna make me hate em. Well that's ok. Thanks to the helpful tech at Nokia for letting me know I can put updates onto the phone without having to deal with the carrier. He says the firmware usually had everything that gdr3 has, but Verizon may strip things. He says I should just keep the preview until I know for sure they didn't take out call blocking. If I understand him correctly Lumia black really is just all the updates to Nokia apps. Hr says those will update separate the OS. He says the radio may get an update, but unless I really need those features gdr3 is fine like it is. After they pushed the updates for the touch panel my phone had been perfect. I was looking for the special stuff that Lumia black was suppose to have that I may want. So far it looks like there is nothing special for the 928.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Black is the official release of GDR3 and firmware for all Nokia Lumia devices. It fixes a few issues and bugs and enables a few things. The main reason for firmware updates. I'm pretty sure you'll need to update to Black prior to getting WP8.1.

Keep in mind the firmware updates and the GDRs we received are only about fixing bugs and small improvements. It's not a full blown update.
This isn't correct. GDR3 is Microsoft's update to the OS. Black is Nokia's update, which can include (but I don't know what all it includes) software, firmware, and changes to the OS that Nokia is permitted by Microsoft to make. Black and GDR3 are two separate updates, created by two separate companies, that happen to be delivered together (for those who have not already installed GDR3 using the developer preview program). For those who have not already installed GDR3, once installed they will find that the OS build number will be the same as the OS build number that those of us already running GDR3 have. Assuming Microsoft doesn't push another update between now and then, the OS build for 928 will be (and already is for some of us) 8.0.10521.155. This is the same build number that many of the updated phones have received through carriers (though MS did put out two different builds, depending on which phone it is on).

(video not quoted)

This is not encouraging, though consistent with VZW wanting to make the Icon look as appealing as possible (i.e., by not updating the 928)
Don't be discouraged...
Availability in North America - Nokia
Lumia 928
Verizon
Available
Waiting for approval

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Black also brings better algorithms for photo capturing. Less noise, more natural sharpness, better color, better low-light shots.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This isn't correct. GDR3 is Microsoft's update to the OS. Black is Nokia's update, which can include (but I don't know what all it includes) software, firmware, and changes to the OS that Nokia is permitted by Microsoft to make. Black and GDR3 are two separate updates, created by two separate companies, that happen to be delivered together (for those who have not already installed GDR3 using the developer preview program). For those who have not already installed GDR3, once installed they will find that the OS build number will be the same as the OS build number that those of us already running GDR3 have. Assuming Microsoft doesn't push another update between now and then, the OS build for 928 will be (and already is for some of us) 8.0.10521.155. This is the same build number that many of the updated phones have received through carriers (though MS did put out two different builds, depending on which phone it is on).

Don't be discouraged...
Availability in North America - Nokia
As I recall Verizon was pretty fast out of the gate with GDR2. . .

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry so much about any delay in getting the Lumia Black update. The first update they sent out for the 822 (before the 928 was available), that was delivered later than others got the update but it was one that worked really well, not a lot of problems posted on the forums. The last update, GDR2 and Amber, it was one of the first ones to deliver the updates and there were a ton, I mean a ton, of posts for phones being bricked for the 822 and somewhat on the 928 (it wasn't as big of a problem for the 928 because many bought it already updated). So, if Verizon takes a bit longer to deliver it, I'm not worried about that and neither should you. I'm taking that to mean they are making sure that the update process is a smooth one, fixing what makes some take the update well and others fail. Trust me when I say, it's no fun watching gears spin on your phone for hours and hours and trying every trick imaginable to get it back to working with no luck.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I know you can more or less force the update 3 which I did last year but is there anyway to force the Lumia Black Update or do I just have to be patient.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Get the Update Central app and it'll tell what it consists of and all the ones that have passed and ones for future updates. If you get the Hardware Test app, it'll tell you in more detail of what the updates consists of hardware and firmware wise and what it effects.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No I did not get the update, but what Nokia tech told me was gdr3 and apps make up Lumia black.

He told you wrong. GDR3 is not a part of Black. GDR3 is an update to the OS from Microsoft. Black is an update from Nokia, and can contain (but may not contain all of) firmware, software, and OS changes allowed by Microsoft.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know that. He was saying all the app updates for Nokia are happening if you are on gdr3. He was saying that the only thing that could change is that I lose call and SMS block if Verizon has it pulled. He was also saying that the Nokia camera app will update without going to black. Firmware shouldn't really change. Basically there was nothing he said about black that seems to make it an update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire