Will this phone work with T-Mobile?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Does it have to be unlocked or whatever? I want to switch to T-Mobile, but would like to keep the phone.

I am assuming you are on a Verizon Lumia 928? It will work as I've read that all Verizon phones come with the GSM portion unlocked. I was actually just reading about the 928 on another site, and someone said this:

Only problem with this phone on T-Mo would be no 1700 band. Meaning it's either LTE or 2G. No 3G/4G (HSPA+).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You will have to toggle the cellular connection to get SMS to work seamlessly. There are a few threads related to this in the Lumia 822 section.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Also you will need to configure the correct APN settings for MMS and internet sharing. These are also posted in 822 and 1520 forums.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
If you are in a refarmed T-Mobile area, you'll get 3G on the1900 frequency.

T-Mobile contracts are 30days and out, so go ahead and try it for 30days, if you don't like it you can change phones or change carriers.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have 928 on Tmobile. Works great. No problem at all. But I don't have LTE and MMS (both I don't need, so don't care), SMS works fine

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are in a refarmed T-Mobile area, you'll get 3G on the1900 frequency.

T-Mobile contracts are 30days and out, so go ahead and try it for 30days, if you don't like it you can change phones or change carriers.

I hear that term refarmed all the time....do you know of a good mapping site that lays out what carriers are using what bands and where?

Most of what I find is just community driven data, which is normally pretty far behind because by the time you get enough data to make it relevant the network has changed 3 times already.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I hear that term refarmed all the time....do you know of a good mapping site that lays out what carriers are using what bands and where?

Most of what I find is just community driven data, which is normally pretty far behind because by the time you get enough data to make it relevant the network has changed 3 times already.

I haven't seen an accurate T-Mobile refarm map other than this one: Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II) and it's not very accurate.

There's also this one that uses a tower search: http://www.antennasearch.com/sitestart.asp

This shows LTE frequencies by carrier: List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This shows 3G by carrier: List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Portlandia

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Is your SMS working on 2G or 3G? My 928 sends SMS on 2G only on TMobile network. I can receive SMS on both 2G and 3G.

What did you do to fix it and send SMS while on 3G?

I have 928 on Tmobile. Works great. No problem at all. But I don't have LTE and MMS (both I don't need, so don't care), SMS works fine

Vernon Amos

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
the other day i was messing around and chose a network under "cellular" vs automatic. tried checking my balance w 3G on and it worked. i'm on ptel btw.

tried it just now and unable to send again. so either i was wrong or there was some other setting i played with that let it send sms under 3g.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
the other day i was messing around and chose a network under "cellular" vs automatic. tried checking my balance w 3G on and it worked. i'm on ptel btw.

tried it just now and unable to send again. so either i was wrong or there was some other setting i played with that let it send sms under 3g.

SMS works flawlessly on T-MO on 2G, on 3G it is a hit or miss same with LTE on 822 or 928 and the signal is H+....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium