Lexus or Cadillac

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, just joined! Duh!

Read a couple forums the other day here regarding the Nokia 928 and why it will not perform some of the same functions that the iPhone will when it comes to etext etc.

Well here goes! After chatting with a Windows Phone rep from Nokia, probably in Japan, I was asking questions about why the Windows Phone would not perform the same function as the iPhone, iOS, and Android Platforms? The answer I got was the Windows Phone is a rt (real time) device which does not allow the device to run any executable (.exe) files.

I'm currently a student at Western Kentucky University (WKU), and my Biology Text Book is online. My Professor gave instructions and a link where all students (minus Window Phone Users) could download a copy of the textbook that could be read offline. Well I followed the link, it was VitalSources Bookshelf, a book by McGraw Hill, once you get to the download site, it shows Mac, Windows 7/8, iOS, Android. I clicked on Windows 7/8 not knowing my Nokia 928 was an rt device, anyway it ran for a second then stopped. I was disappointed, and tried again, then started researching the cause. I talked to VitalSource who said they were working vehemently to resolve this issue, I talked to Verizon, like talking to an alien, contacted MS, they referred me to Nokia, and Valla, I got results.

Now the challenge, I just purchased a Nokia 2520 Tablet, man this thing is cool, will not run executable files either..... So, am I really that upset that my devices wont perform a task using VitalSource? absolutely Not.

Good news........ Nokia told me that with an rt, you never have to worry about viruses...... That's a fact and a very cool thing....... Now, the other cool thing is, because of the virus prevention, other developers are looking at the rt platform if you will for their devices, including iPhone and iPads...... Good news huh?

Thanks for reading

R/Lexus or Cadillac (didn't mean to write a short story)

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The draw back to RT is that you can not run 3rd party apps. This might be fine for some people. But, not for a lot of people.
RT is basically MS's version of an iPad, with Apps only Support.
This is a plus on the phone, but not on a tablet.
I have a Surface Pro, and the fact I can run all my Desktop/laptop software on it is a huge advantage.
You can fully secure a Tablet just like you can a Laptop or Desktop. As long as you do it properly.
So, RT, while ok for some, (and I recommend Win8 RT/Pro Tablets over the competition any day)
I would highly recommend the Pro Versions over RT any day.
Think of it this way, while you are looking at the iPad or Chrome/Android Tablets and checking the prices
Look deeply at the capabilities. Only a Win8 Pro Tablet will give you what none of the others can, and truly at a reasonable price.
Many think the Win8 Pro Tablets are over priced,
that is about as wrong as a 2 headed ManBearPig from Mars spouting Inconvenient Truths about climate change on Titian.
Now that is funny right there I don't care who you are.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, just joined! Duh!

Read a couple forums the other day here regarding the Nokia 928 and why it will not perform some of the same functions that the iPhone will when it comes to etext etc.

Well here goes! After chatting with a Windows Phone rep from Nokia, probably in Japan, I was asking questions about why the Windows Phone would not perform the same function as the iPhone, iOS, and Android Platforms? The answer I got was the Windows Phone is a rt (real time) device which does not allow the device to run any executable (.exe) files.

I'm currently a student at Western Kentucky University (WKU), and my Biology Text Book is online. My Professor gave instructions and a link where all students (minus Window Phone Users) could download a copy of the textbook that could be read offline. Well I followed the link, it was VitalSources Bookshelf, a book by McGraw Hill, once you get to the download site, it shows Mac, Windows 7/8, iOS, Android. I clicked on Windows 7/8 not knowing my Nokia 928 was an rt device, anyway it ran for a second then stopped. I was disappointed, and tried again, then started researching the cause. I talked to VitalSource who said they were working vehemently to resolve this issue, I talked to Verizon, like talking to an alien, contacted MS, they referred me to Nokia, and Valla, I got results.

Now the challenge, I just purchased a Nokia 2520 Tablet, man this thing is cool, will not run executable files either..... So, am I really that upset that my devices wont perform a task using VitalSource? absolutely Not.

Good news........ Nokia told me that with an rt, you never have to worry about viruses...... That's a fact and a very cool thing....... Now, the other cool thing is, because of the virus prevention, other developers are looking at the rt platform if you will for their devices, including iPhone and iPads...... Good news huh?

Thanks for reading

R/Lexus or Cadillac (didn't mean to write a short story)

this is the publishers fault for not actually letting you download the text book, but instead a DRM crippled copy of it, and their shoddy application?

this is seriously not something to blame on any operating system

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
this is the publishers fault for not actually letting you download the text book, but instead a DRM crippled copy of it, and their shoddy application?

this is seriously not something to blame on any operating system

I agree completely. Little love for Windows Phone. But it is catching on.
Those who get one, really do like them.
But remember, Windows Phone 7 and 8 are still very young on the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234