Hoping This Means Skype Might Finally Work On My 928

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I received this email from Skype today:

"Hello,

We've been working hard to make Skype for mobile even better than ever but to do so, sometimes we need to stop supporting older products.

To offer you the best mobile experience possible, we're discontinuing Skype mobile? for Verizon from the 24th April and replacing it with our standard versions of Skype for iPhone, Windows Phone, Android, BlackBerry and a whole bunch of
other devices. This way, you'll be able to enjoy many more great features such as video calling and video messaging.

Don't forget, you can still use Skype on a variety of other devices such as your computer, tablet, TV and even your home phone, so you can stay in touch at home, at work or on the go.

Talk soon,
Skype"

I just wish it were available before April 24th, and I hope to God that it improves the Skype mobile experience and reliability. If this means that it will soon work the way it worked on my BlackBerrys then I'll be a much happier Skype/WP user.

deemeetree

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
We'll know for sure what it means on the 25th !! I Right now there is one version of Skype for using the cell network and one version for wi-fi. I'm hoping this "new" version will be able to use either network and not do away with using skype over the cell network.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
We'll know for sure what it means on the 25th !! I Right now there is one version of Skype for using the cell network and one version for wi-fi. I'm hoping this "new" version will be able to use either network and not do away with using skype over the cell network.

Wait...really? I use the official skype app all the time on my Lumia 928, and my Lumia 1020. I make calls and chat on WiFi and on cellular data. Not sure what the issue is here.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Right now there is one version of Skype for using the cell network and one version for wi-fi.
I hadn't heard that before. You sure about that? If so, can you explain the details a bit more? Seems pretty nonsensical to offer two versions when they know everyone will be using the mobile app on cell phones that constantly switch between cell and wifi signals.

FrostyCamel

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What issues are people having with skype?? I use the skype app almost daily on my 928 both at home (WiFi) and when out and about (cellular data). I've never had any problem whatsoever.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any problem whatsoever.
I wish I could say the same, but that definitely hasn't been the case since switching to WP from BlackBerry several months ago. I Skype (mainly IM/chat) with coworkers, customers and friends all day long, both from my desk and (theoretically) from my phone when I'm away from my desk. The main problem for me with Skype on my 928 has been reliability: chronic message delay, notifications not occurring, and often messages simply not coming through at all. Skype was excellent (for chatting, anyway) on my BlackBerry using Verizon as I still use with my WP -- messages were instant and totally reliable. But on my 928 I never know if I'll actually receive messages that are sent to me. Often the messages are 15 to 30 minutes delayed if they come through at all. Equally as often, if a message does actually make it through I don't receive any type of notification that it has arrived. Not surprisingly, these problems render the service nearly useless; it becomes a better option for my coworkers to email or text me rather than send a Skype message.

To compound the frustration, these problems are also slightly sporadic. Sometimes a Skype chat session will work pretty well and I might even receive a Skype notification, although both occurrences are very rare. Because of that, I know the service actually does work but I don't know what causes the lack of reliability and consistency. I've read repeatedly that, amazingly and disappointingly enough, the Skype app for WP is the worst among all mobile platforms, which is why the Skype note I posted above makes me hopeful for improvement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss