Lumia 928 Won't Update to Black: error 8018830f

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Another Lumia 928 user and I have had some problems updating our 928's to Black. Basically, we go to Settings > Phone updates > check for updates. Then it downloads the update but fails in the 'preparing to install' phase: "The update was downloaded, but couldn't be opened. (8018830f)"

We have tried several things, including 1. restarting the phone, 2. soft resetting the phone, and 3. hard resetting the phone. All have failed. I have contacted Nokia support on Twitter and they want me to send the phone in for analysis. But, before I do that, I wanted to see if any others got around this issue. I thought I saw a few other people mention it on the plethora of Black threads going right now, and I thought it would be better to consolidate the conversation to a single thread here.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. I wonder why Nokia Support didn't suggest that--probably because I told them I didn't want to hard reset my phone and lost my Xbox saved game data. I see this will probably lead to data loss too. Should I try a hard reset before I try this, or should I try this before the hard reset?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Update: I called Verizon support. They had me do a hard reset (even though I told them I read that another user did that and it bricked his phone). They insisted. I did it. It got stuck in the endless spinning gears syndrome. 45 minutes later they told me to soft reset the phone during the spinning gears syndrome. I said I didn't think this was a good idea. They insisted. I did it. It rebooted and went immediately back into the spinning gears. 2 hours later, it's still doing it and they are sending a new phone. In the meantime, I tried this solution but it didn't work.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Final Update: After working with Verizon Support put the phone in the 'endless spinning cogs' state, I used this Nokia Software Updater for Retail and saved the phone. The tool was able to install Nokia Lumia Black directly and immediately. All is well now, except that Verizon is shipping us a replacement device. I guess I'll just refuse it and have it sent back.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Happy to hear the happy ending to this story. Verizon should offer you enough free cellular data to reinstall all of the apps that were lost in the process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05