928 vs Icon...

wyzard

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Good morning.

I've been looking at the 928 and then saw the Icon was released yesterday. The 928 is currently a free upgrade. The Icon comes in at $199. My question.. Is the 928 still a viable option now that the Icon has been released. I've been researching and have seen the differences (have actually played with both at Verizon store). I'm just wondering the opinions of the masses as to whether the 928 is still a good choice now that the Icon is out.

Thanks.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Good morning.

I've been looking at the 928 and then saw the Icon was released yesterday. The 928 is currently a free upgrade. The Icon comes in at $199. My question.. Is the 928 still a viable option now that the Icon has been released. I've been researching and have seen the differences (have actually played with both at Verizon store). I'm just wondering the opinions of the masses as to whether the 928 is still a good choice now that the Icon is out.

Thanks.

If you can afford the Icon defiantly get the Icon, if money is an issue the 928 is DECENT phone but not one of Nokias best, just by virtue of the quad core processor and the two gigs of ram make the Icon the better choice, not to mention the 20 megapixel camera and the truly cool Directional sound recording of the Icon

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
In a world where there is "hard" decisions, and then some "easy" decisions, this is one of those "easy" decisions.

If you can, take the Icon. Short of the lack of the "Glance" feature, the Icon has it all over the L928 and it is not even fair. Everything in it is top shelf compared to what is available, and it will hold up just fine as a great device even after the WP 8.1 devices are announced. I truly think it is a worthy 2 year commitment.

The L928 is what it is: a good WP 8. If you do not have the 200.00 to drop due to budget, then it will perform well and it will be supported. I am not sure that after 12-18 months you won't be aching for an upgrade, you just might be. But it will not be a bad device at all to trust to perform the entire time you own it. It is just not in the Icon's world.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you a current Verizon customer? Do you have a upgrade? How many lines do you have? The answer to these questions will determine a answer for you.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
wyzard,

sym1a1a said, "get the Icon, ...just by virtue of the quad core processor and the two gigs of ram make the Icon the better choice..."

Microsoft did a great job optimizing the Windows Phone OS for even conservative hardware so actual, noticeable performance gains won’t be as dramatic as one would expect with the Icon.

snowmutt said of the 928, "I am not sure that after 12-18 months you won't be aching for an upgrade..."

With the pace of technological innovation and design, that can be said about any smartphone purchase, even the Icon.

Both allude to the issue of money and budget and when you get right down to it, it's all about the Benjamins.

I got my 928 for FREE! Upgrade at Discount 09/03/2015. Maybe the Glance issue will be moot and the Icon will be free.

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I just replaced my 8X with an Icon. With the Icon you'll have a bigger screen, 3 columns of tiles (instead of 2), and a build like a tank. Those were all important to so I upgraded. Not that the 8X was a bad phone by any means.

So, if you can swing the price, fo Icon. Plus....you're guaranteed to get the 8.1 update when it comes out. Not sure if 928 gets it or not. Maybe.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't say how good the icon is but right now I'm on my 4th 928. It has a issue with sound I can only use my phone yo make calls every once in awhile. Also while playing music the sound goes in and out. I'm pretty sure the 928 is a lemon device after I have read many people having the same issue.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You can pick up a lightly used 928 for $150 off contract, there is no reason to waste your subsidy there. Get the icon, I have both and the only negative is lack of glance, which Im absolutely positive we will get soon. However, if you can wait 30 days or so I'm sure the icon will be $99 or less by then.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Four
How many lines are you uprading? I just upgraded 3 lines to the edge program. Thought it was a total rip until they started giving discounts on the $40 access fee of $20 per line on edge with 10 gigs or more plan. Joined using the Open enrollment promo & found out you can use any verizon phone that works to trade in as long as it is active on the line when you sign up. Ending up being up $155 after selling currrent phones. Made enough to pay the extra $15 per month more my bill is. Bottom line for $15 per month I an upgrade 3 lines to new phones in 1 year & the phones I sold cover it for this year & most of next year.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
wyzard,

sym1a1a said, "get the Icon, ...just by virtue of the quad core processor and the two gigs of ram make the Icon the better choice..."

Microsoft did a great job optimizing the Windows Phone OS for even conservative hardware so actual, noticeable performance gains won?t be as dramatic as one would expect with the Icon.

snowmutt said of the 928, "I am not sure that after 12-18 months you won't be aching for an upgrade..."

With the pace of technological innovation and design, that can be said about any smartphone purchase, even the Icon.

Both allude to the issue of money and budget and when you get right down to it, it's all about the Benjamins.

I got my 928 for FREE! Upgrade at Discount 09/03/2015. Maybe the Glance issue will be moot and the Icon will be free.

you are right regarding the OS stability and performance over varying phone specs, however the 2 gigs of ram does in fact make a noticeable difference in performance, i have owned the 920 ( as well as the original focus and the 900) I currently own the 1020, basically the same phone as the 920, with the camera being the main difference, absolutely loved the 920, but the 1020 will out perform the 920 in all aspects, the additional ram does make a noticeable difference in overall performance, i cant help but think how the 1020 would perform with a quad core processor

enik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The ICON is newer so it is more future proof. BUT with that said, once you go xenon camera flash...you never go back.

EXACTLY! That flash makes this the best low light camera that I've ever used, and that is a lot of phones lol

Sent from my Lumia 928

enik

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The ICON is newer so it is more future proof. BUT with that said, once you go xenon camera flash...you never go back.

EXACTLY! That flash makes this the best low light camera that I've ever used, and that is a lot of phones lol

Sent from my Lumia 928

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I got 928, I love this phone. I also would buy Icon, but I think I'll wait little bit, month or two, and price will drop for sure. not willing to pay another $550 for phone (paid $560 for 928) :D

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
wanted to get the Icon as my first WP. But not really seeing much improvement in this "upgrade". Seen side by side low light pics (with and w/o flash) of 928 vs Icon and 928 wins. Battery life is the same on both. Glance is supported only on 928.
Only thing that I can imagine that would help is Icon might get better 8.1 upgrades. Snapdragon 800 does support always listening feature. But I can buy one 928 used for like $175 as opposed to a Icon for $550. Im a bargain guy. And I havent had to pay out of pocket for a phone in like 2 years. In fact I made money on free upgrades and selling and exchanging phones.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
wanted to get the Icon as my first WP. But not really seeing much improvement in this "upgrade". Seen side by side low light pics (with and w/o flash) of 928 vs Icon and 928 wins. Battery life is the same on both. Glance is supported only on 928.
Only thing that I can imagine that would help is Icon might get better 8.1 upgrades. Snapdragon 800 does support always listening feature. But I can buy one 928 used for like $175 as opposed to a Icon for $550. Im a bargain guy. And I havent had to pay out of pocket for a phone in like 2 years. In fact I made money on free upgrades and selling and exchanging phones.

How exactly is the battery life the same on both?

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
from what ive read from users its roughly the same. some say 928 is better others say Icon is a smidge better. I dont know i dont own any obviously. Going off forum user posts. makes sense though when your packing a higher res bigger screen and more ram and a quad core but only like 400 more mAh

Bryan Henson

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
If you can afford the $200, it is worth it to get the Icon. If money really is an issue, the 928 will work just fine. I have the 928 and it is so smooth and fast, I would honestly give up Android for it. I love not having a ton of crashes and the urge to try out a new rom every week lol With a dual-core and only 1gb of ram, Microsoft has really made a nice O.S. that makes you rethink how smooth mobile o.s.'s should be. The camera is pretty dang sick on my 928 and the screen clarity is beautiful. Unless you get a lemon (same goes with any phone), you will not regret either. If I had a chance to do it again, I would have scraped up the money and waited for the Icon to come out (i got mine in early january). But with that being said, I do not regret my 928 one bit :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077