928 vs Icon...

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
wanted to get the Icon as my first WP. But not really seeing much improvement in this "upgrade". Seen side by side low light pics (with and w/o flash) of 928 vs Icon and 928 wins. Battery life is the same on both. Glance is supported only on 928.
Only thing that I can imagine that would help is Icon might get better 8.1 upgrades. Snapdragon 800 does support always listening feature. But I can buy one 928 used for like $175 as opposed to a Icon for $550. Im a bargain guy. And I havent had to pay out of pocket for a phone in like 2 years. In fact I made money on free upgrades and selling and exchanging phones.

On the bolded part, absolutely false. The Icon has outperformed my 928 by 5 or 6 hours/day. I don't worry about running out of battery during the day. I wake up at 0600, take the phone off the charger by 0630 and usually don't have it back on the charger until 2200 or 2230. On my 928, I would be heavy into battery saver or out. With the Icon, I am typically still between 15% and 25%, I put the same amount of usage on both phones, using the same apps during the day. I used Glance on the 928, so that may account for some of the difference, but I was under the impression that Glance had minimal impact on the battery.

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
running over 48hrs so far with 928. Wifi on. Took plenty of pictures (xenon flash is the best) and adjusted settings and downloaded plenty of apps. Pretty sure glance messes things up. surprised no one run a benchmark. but whateves

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
running over 48hrs so far with 928. Wifi on. Took plenty of pictures (xenon flash is the best) and adjusted settings and downloaded plenty of apps. Pretty sure glance messes things up. surprised no one run a benchmark. but whateves

Not buying 48 hours, unless you have turned off cell data, all background tasks, and you have a strong wifi signal. Heck, my 928 couldn't run 24 hours with me not touching all day. I am not a heavy user; I might take 2 pictures a day average, surf internet forums via apps, moderate talking on the phone, and reading via the Kindle app at night before bed and I had a hard time getting 18 hours out of my 928. Continuing that identical usage pattern on my Icon, I can easily get 24 hours, maybe even 30. No way I'm getting 48 hours on my Icon, either.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Not buying 48 hours either on a 928 I can barely get 6-7 hours under moderate to heavy use.

I was going to get the Icon but then I've been reading alot of not to impressive battery life specs and the camera doesn't take pics as good as the ones on the icon with the xenon flash from what I've seen in the forums in comparison shots. I'm going to hold out for a phone with a bigger battery if Verizon has nothing in the pipelines with a bigger battery and microsd slot before I jump on the icon. Its not a must have phone if you're coming from the 928 imo

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
How many lines are you uprading? I just upgraded 3 lines to the edge program. Thought it was a total rip until they started giving discounts on the $40 access fee of $20 per line on edge with 10 gigs or more plan. Joined using the Open enrollment promo & found out you can use any verizon phone that works to trade in as long as it is active on the line when you sign up. Ending up being up $155 after selling currrent phones. Made enough to pay the extra $15 per month more my bill is. Bottom line for $15 per month I an upgrade 3 lines to new phones in 1 year & the phones I sold cover it for this year & most of next year.

I'm going to sound really stupid....would you mind dumbing down what you did some more please?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to sound really stupid....would you mind dumbing down what you did some more please?

ok, activate an old phone on the line you're going to switch to edge. It can be a feature phone, you buy from eBay or Craigslist. When you switch to edge you then trade in that phone. Sell your current phone, the cash you get will offset the price difference of being on the edge($15/ Month for 3 lines for me) if you increase your data plan to the 10 gig plan, VZ will reduce your $40 access fee by 1/2 to $20. So if the icon cost $23/mth & you save $20/mth Your net increase is $3 per month. The cash you get for selling your phone will pay for the $3 increase per line a month.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
ok, activate an old phone on the line you're going to switch to edge. It can be a feature phone, you buy from eBay or Craigslist. When you switch to edge you then trade in that phone. Sell your current phone, the cash you get will offset the price difference of being on the edge($15/ Month for 3 lines for me) if you increase your data plan to the 10 gig plan, VZ will reduce your $40 access fee by 1/2 to $20. So if the icon cost $23/mth & you save $20/mth Your net increase is $3 per month. The cash you get for selling your phone will pay for the $3 increase per line a month.

So currently I have 2 lines the soonest upgrade is December 2015. I pay $138 a month with my 20% employer discount. If I switch one line to edge what should I expect my bill to become a month then?

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Buy a used off contract 928 for now (ebay,etc)....wait on the ICON because the price WILL drop....

In about 2-3 months you should be able to get the ICON for $49 or even free on promo....

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Buy a used off contract 928 for now (ebay,etc)....wait on the ICON because the price WILL drop....

In about 2-3 months you should be able to get the ICON for $49 or even free on promo....

I was interested at first but the battery size made me want to wait unless I can find it for 200 or so I'll try to wait it out

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss