The Lumia 928 And The AWS Software Upgrade Mystery

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This is a follow-up on my postings on a number of threads below related to whether or not the Lumia 928 is enabled to take advantage of Verizon's Advanced Wireless Services (AWS). Among other inquiries, I posted the question on the Verizon Support Forum. I am pleased to report that 928 users finally have a definitive answer for now. The repeated wording of the VZW Rep's response, "A(a)t this time", alludes to a possible future upgrade.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support Feb 26, 2014 2:38 PM
Thanks for the question! At this time, the Nokia 928 is not AWS enabled. The Nokia Lumia Icon is the only Nokia that is AWS enabled at this time.

Based on the above response, I posted the following:

Tamara, Thank you, so much, for an answer that has been extremely illusive. Now that we Lumia 928 users know that our phones are not enabled yet, the next question is: when can we expect the software upgrade that was approved by the FCC a year ago, in February 2013?

I will post her response when I receive it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
People who bought the 928 last year likely have another on contract. Heck the update was approved before the 928 launched!

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
It has been a week now and no response from TamaraH, Verizon Wireless Customer Support . So, I posted again on Mar 4th:

Tamara, Please follow up on this. You alluded twice to the possibility that the software upgrade will be forthcoming. Would you, please, delve further and let us know when that might be? Thank you so much.

Maybe, if we mounted a concerted effort, we might get an answer. Please, support this endeavor to get the most out of our devices. Post in the thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1060697#1060697

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I sent a Tweet out to NokiaUS and VerizonWireless today as well, will probably rope in VZW Support too, for what it's worth (nothing).

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I just received this response from VZW Support:

"Hi, I hear you! We are constantly rolling out updates. There is no new yet for the update for your phone. You can stay up to date with our update launches here. Verizon Wireless News Center Keep us posted if you we can assist with anything else."

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

So, as it stands, if and when the 928 will get the upgrade enabling AWS, is still a mystery. BTW, the link that BobbyS provided to the Verizon Wireless News Center is VZWSupprt's standard brushoff referral. If I should hear any news, I will post here.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
After talking with Verizon, they recommend a soft reset. However, its not an update per say but a roll out of updates to the infrastructure that the 928 should automatically connect to.

ADHD version:
Its a frequency change.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
After talking with Verizon, they recommend a soft reset. However, its not an update per say but a roll out of updates to the infrastructure that the 928 should automatically connect to.

ADHD version:
Its a frequency change.

It is not a frequency change. It is an additional spectrum which will allow enabled devices to connect to either Band 13 (700Mhz LTE) or Band 4 (1700/2100Mhz AWS LTE) based on tower load.
The 928 has the necessary hardware but requires an actual software upgrade, which it has not yet received, to enable it to "automatically connect" to the "roll out of updates to the infrastructure" (AWS LTE). A soft reset will do nothing towards this end.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Just to update, checked again on Twitter but included Verizon Support and got the same blow off. Not expecting much at this point.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Wonder if they have it around here. I usually get faster upload speeds than download speeds in my area (Detroit Metro). Boo-urns.

If they haven't bothered to do it by now I doubt they ever will.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of AWS. What does it do?
In short: another band of spectrum. VZW's been using it to shore up their increasingly loaded LTE network. Needs hardware support in phone though, and then the firmware (radio) needs to be updated to utilize it.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
If they haven't bothered to do it by now I doubt they ever will.
I believe you are right. Verizon has had at least two opportunities to upgrade the radio software. The upgrade was approved by the FCC prior to the Nokia Amber and Black updates. In addition to those updates, Verizon could have had Nokia do an OTA 928 device specific update at any time. A previous post in this thread suggested a business ploy. Whatever Verizon's reasoning, it is obvious that it is not going to happen.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are right. Verizon has had at least two opportunities to upgrade the radio software. The upgrade was approved by the FCC prior to the Nokia Amber and Black updates. In addition to those updates, Verizon could have had Nokia do an OTA 928 device specific update at any time. A previous post in this thread suggested a business ploy. Whatever Verizon's reasoning, it is obvious that it is not going to happen.

Likely they might push it out with 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077