New To Nokia and Windows Phone

Kevin Smith6

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I decided to buy a used Lumia 928 as a spare phone ( my family seems to break our phones alot) so I'm new to the whole WP8 world. I've been using Android phones since I went away from dumb phones (currently using HTC One after breaking my Galaxy Note 2). Anyway, there are some specifics I'm having a hard time adjusting to. First is there anyway to root/jailbreak the 928 as I'm on unlimited data and don't want to pay VZW an extra $30 for tethering which I believe should be free for me to use. Second, i have alot of music stored on drop box which i had no trouble transferring onto a new Droid but since there's no official app I can't seem to get it to download. I've tried Bluetooth but that only worked sporadically and was too time consuming. My final issue with the phone is battery. I've researched numerous sites and done everything they've recommended but if i use this phone it drops at a rate of 16-20% an hour. Any and all tips or advice would be appreciated.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
cloud 6 is a great third party app for drop box, no jailbreak as of right now, and your battery will improve after a week or two but it won't ever be GREAT

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I decided to buy a used Lumia 928 as a spare phone ( my family seems to break our phones alot) so I'm new to the whole WP8 world. I've been using Android phones since I went away from dumb phones (currently using HTC One after breaking my Galaxy Note 2). Anyway, there are some specifics I'm having a hard time adjusting to. First is there anyway to root/jailbreak the 928 as I'm on unlimited data and don't want to pay VZW an extra $30 for tethering which I believe should be free for me to use. Second, i have alot of music stored on drop box which i had no trouble transferring onto a new Droid but since there's no official app I can't seem to get it to download. I've tried Bluetooth but that only worked sporadically and was too time consuming. My final issue with the phone is battery. I've researched numerous sites and done everything they've recommended but if i use this phone it drops at a rate of 16-20% an hour. Any and all tips or advice would be appreciated.

Windows Phones are highly encrypted devices. Jail-breaking/Rooting them is almost impossible right now.

Use this app as an alternative for Dropbox : CloudSix for Dropbox | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

And for the battery life, follow these tips : 17 tips to extend battery life on Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There was an odd workaround enabling tethering on 920's, dont know if it applies here.

Tether-X is likely the only option IIRC. (in the Store)

OneDrive is integrated into Windows Phone and is worth considering replacing or likely supplementing Dropbox with it.

16-20% is not normal, my 920 clocks in at 5-6%/hour. Something is off, but I'd give it a week or so when usage habits normalize and stuff

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You can pair any device with your phone.
I am not paying any extra charges for Tethering.
the 928 is Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 8 devices)
The only thing you will pay for is Data.
If you have unlimited, then it doesn't matter.

Mobile HotSpot On/Off - Nokia Lumia 928

No you can not Jailbreak a WP
WP is the most secure phone available.
No worries about Virus/Malware
No Worries about some crappy app corrupting the OS as it can not touch it.
The WP does not need to be, nor should it be Jailbroken.
there is next to no reason for it.
WP is not Android or iPhone, it's better than both of them.

Kevin Smith6

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
You can pair any device with your phone.
I am not paying any extra charges for Tethering.
the 928 is Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 8 devices)
The only thing you will pay for is Data.
If you have unlimited, then it doesn't matter.

Mobile HotSpot On/Off - Nokia Lumia 928

No you can not Jailbreak a WP
WP is the most secure phone available.
No worries about Virus/Malware
No Worries about some crappy app corrupting the OS as it can not touch it.
The WP does not need to be, nor should it be Jailbroken.
there is next to no reason for it.
WP is not Android or iPhone, it's better than both of them.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Your reply indicates that I can tether without paying VZWs extra fee so how do I get it to work?

As far as I know, they are mistaken -- the new Share plans include tethering as part of the base price, however the older plans that have unlimited data do not, and as mentioned above, there is no real getting around it. Some of the Samsung devices are a bit more open but even they are pretty locked down AFAIK.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Your reply indicates that I can tether without paying VZWs extra fee so how do I get it to work?

I didn't think about the old unlimited plans that you might have been grandfathered into.
Those plans may not offer tethering.
So, most likely no, you will have to pay for tethering or change your plan.
I thought I would need tons of data, but, they are right, I don't hardly use any.
But then, I don't use my cell service to watch a ton of movies.
Free open WiFi is practically everywhere now.
Tethering still has it's place and is needed, but tons of data generally isn't for the vast majority of people...
I now agree with the new pricing plan.

much like ObummerCare
Let those who are using there cell service as their primary internet pay for the amount of data they use and not pass it down to my bill, to pick up the slack.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion